Mar 31, 2017, 12:50 PM
In F3J size does matter!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitas
nice solution! very cool. only thing a dislike it is a huge nose (or it will be smaller?)
It is smaller than it looks in the video, some information was given on this in the past, see below. It is actually less cross section than some of the more popular 4 in a pod designs out there. It could have been made tighter with a canopy on the side, I actually made 2 Vortex 2's as 4 in a pod installs and they are MUCH tighter but that installation is NOT for everybody. Therefore we decided to make the fuselage a bit bigger but with a laminar shape so that the size has very little affect on performance. In theory, the size should have a small to negligible affect on performance vs. some of the other designs out there and building and servicing the model should be very easy.

Go to the original post for some pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roydor
Some more pictures and information of the Vortex 3.

The Vortex 3 will be a 4 in a pod design with some innovative ideas to make it super easy to assemble.

The chosen 4 in a pod design allows the servos to be installed with screws so a quick and simple installation or replacement of a servo can be done with ease and within a short amount time.
Both the receiver and battery are mounted side by side in the nose which allows to keep the nose short and still have as much weight as far forward as possible to reduce the need to add nose weight. Several 3D printed models were made to allow testing of different batteries and receivers, many form factors were tested as well, round LiPo's (650, 1000 & 1200 mAh) and flat LiPo's (600, 650, 750 & 950 mAh) all fit well in the nose next to a good sized receiver, just choose a battery in accordance with the weight required to balance the CG and a good chance it will fit.
Still, the nose is not fat, cross section is smaller than most other 4 in a pod designs. The fuselage is 36 mm in width and 35 mm in height and was designed to fit most popular servos: KST08, DS75, DS65, D47.
The shape of the fuselage was inspired by Drela's laminar fuselage design as to support the volume requirements of the pod and still keep drag low.
A canopy was chosen for weight purposes.

New tail airfoils where designed to keep the weight of the tails low by reducing the volume of the Rohacell down while still retaining excellent aerodynamical efficiency.

The Vortex 3 will have a slightly higher dihedral angle than the Vortex 2 for improved stability and will also come in both top or bottom elevator according to personal pilot preference.

The molds are nearly complete and within a few days the first planes will be pulled from them.

Some other interesting features are still in the works for this plane, hope to reveal them by the end of the month after they get tested and matured a bit.

Cheers,
Roy
to remove ads between posts
Mar 31, 2017, 02:55 PM
wrong descision, wrong time
Quote:
It is smaller than it looks in the video, some information was given on this in the past, see below. It is actually less cross section than some of the more popular 4 in a pod designs out there. It could have been made tighter with a canopy on the side, I actually made 2 Vortex 2's as 4 in a pod installs and they are MUCH tighter but that installation is NOT for everybody. Therefore we decided to make the fuselage a bit bigger but with a laminar shape so that the size has very little affect on performance. In theory, the size should have a small to negligible affect on performance vs. some of the other designs out there and building and servicing the model should be very easy.

Go to the original post for some pictures.
Thanks for giving us some room in the pod . It really helps those of us that aren't master builders.

-Heath
Mar 31, 2017, 03:02 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Here is my offering on a color scheme.
Latest blog entry: The latest and greatest
Mar 31, 2017, 03:33 PM
I know the Inside out.....
Good thing you posted that video today....

Wouldn't have believed it if you had post it on April Fools day... It looks like magic!

Launch height / penetration and flight characteristics are still priority but with 4 in a pot you can really support a thin wing design - so I expect this Vortex 3 to launch above 60 meters.

Think you got a winner here....
Apr 01, 2017, 05:48 AM
What about a thinner fus option for the no compromise builder. I am happy for optimisation even if it means a difficult build.
Apr 02, 2017, 03:06 AM
BGO
BGO
What a great design and amazing engineering you realized Roy! Really appreciating all the work you do for team Vortex. The 2 p wing Vortex will be a success, no doubt about that��.

I expect some Vortex 3 with special Dutch design for the WC2017 team soon. This will be 1p wing.
Apr 04, 2017, 08:52 AM
I that a XXLITEish system for flaperons?
D box you can send the money to me
Apr 08, 2017, 03:54 PM
In F3J size does matter!
Thread OP
First parts are starting to come out

At the moment they are just to test the molds so using slightly heavier Rohacell but weights look promising.
First fuselage is 33 grams untrimmed and tails are under 13 grams with heavy Rohacell and too much epoxy in the skins.
Denis believes he can reduce the weight of the tails to around 11 grams
First wings are now curing so hope to have some pics of a complete model in a day or two.
The first cores are 5 grams lighter than the average Vortex 2 cores so with light tails and 4 in a pod this model is looking hopeful for 220 grams or less.

I will post more pics and information as I get it.

Roy
Apr 09, 2017, 01:09 PM
Stefan Boicu
Quote:
First parts are starting to come out

At the moment they are just to test the molds so using slightly heavier Rohacell but weights look promising.
First fuselage is 33 grams untrimmed and tails are under 13 grams with heavy Rohacell and too much epoxy in the skins.
Denis believes he can reduce the weight of the tails to around 11 grams
First wings are now curing so hope to have some pics of a complete model in a day or two.
The first cores are 5 grams lighter than the average Vortex 2 cores so with light tails and 4 in a pod this model is looking hopeful for 220 grams or less.

I will post more pics and information as I get it.

Roy
So it looks like I will receive mines just in time for the 1st contest this year.
Apr 10, 2017, 03:51 AM
In F3J size does matter!
Thread OP
First wings out of the molds!
98 and 102 untrimmed
Apr 10, 2017, 05:57 AM
I see that i've won the graphic design contest!
Apr 10, 2017, 09:24 AM
In F3J size does matter!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorn
I see that i've won the graphic design contest!

No, the graphic design contest will end today, these were simply made to allow testing.

The best designs will be selected and posted later this week.
Apr 10, 2017, 11:07 AM
Charles Martin
Quote:
First wings out of the molds! 98 and 102 untrimmed
Roy,

what's your method for finishing the leading edges? I didn't realize there was so much flash on a molded wing.

Do you manually sand & polish, or use a motorized tool?

Cheers, Charles
Apr 10, 2017, 02:22 PM
In F3J size does matter!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianCharles
Roy,

what's your method for finishing the leading edges? I didn't realize there was so much flash on a molded wing.

Do you manually sand & polish, or use a motorized tool?

Cheers, Charles
This you will have to ask Denis as he is the builder, I'm just a PR guy, not even in the same continent
Apr 10, 2017, 03:16 PM
Aurora Builder
Most of that flash breaks off cleanly. Occasionally you get some carbon in there, but 30 seconds with some 220 grit and you get most of that cleaned up quickly. On the trailing edge, depending on where you stop the carbon (Vortex are doing it right and giving me some ideas), you can run a dremel with a diamond cutoff wheel right down along the scribe line. Total cleanup process is 10 minutes if that.

Quick Reply