Mar 29, 2017, 02:30 AM
*Full Disclosure* Im a Gorilla
Yes!!! I love this idea!! Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with!!
to remove ads between posts
Mar 29, 2017, 07:31 AM
I'm not a designer but a few rough attempts.
Mar 29, 2017, 08:08 AM
In F3J size does matter!
Thread OP
Nice!
Really like how you worked in that X.

Repost it in the color scheme competition thread:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...n#post37203848
Mar 29, 2017, 08:12 AM
doh! missed that thread - thanks Roy.
Mar 29, 2017, 11:28 AM
BGO
BGO
Great idea Roy👍

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Mar 31, 2017, 06:31 AM
In F3J size does matter!
Thread OP
As promised, some more info on the 2 piece wing setup.

Vortex 3 DLG, 2 piece wing concept (0 min 38 sec)

The joiner is integrated into one wing to save weight. Only one joiner tube in the other wing half.
The hard points are split in half so they are about the same amount of epoxy and chopped fibers as a 1 piece wing with just a bit more carbon to take the somewhat different loads. One hard point is secured in place against the aluminium posts from the fuselage side while the other is secured by the flat head screws which secure the wing. This means both halves are fixed in position by 2 cones which are fastened tightly one aginst each other giving the wing a singular positive position.

The joiner is designed to fit loosely in the first 2/3 of the way then in the last 1/3 of the way the system locks into place and tightens up to allow no movement. This is done to make assembly easy and to reduce manufacturing accuracy requirements while keeping the fit very tight. In addition the sensitivity to dirt and misture on the fit is considerably reduced.

As I said before, the basic concept was proven to work in a hand modified, battle tested Vortex 2.
Mar 31, 2017, 06:49 AM
In F3J size does matter!
Thread OP
Auto mating system!

Vortex 3 prototype 2 piece wing and automating aileron system (1 min 11 sec)

Now in development is an auto mating system for the ailerons.
The system was tested and refined with several 3D printed prototypes until 20 degrees of aileron movement and 50 deg of flaps were possible while keeping the system tight all through the movement.
The fuselage is tight but can support MKS and KST servos along with a few others.
The pushrods are made simple and the plan is to have the entire auto mating system integrated in the factory with just 1 piece to be integrated by the builder for final position which depends on servo choice.
Even the horns in the wings are currently planned to be glued in the factory.

Hopefully this would mean a VERY QUICK BUILD and also reduce some of the common build mistakes.

The wings would simply require the builder to install the launch blade in the tip of their choice and according to personal preference and the wing is ready to fly!

Fuselage would require to glue the servo tray and connect the servos, adjust the pushrod length for the wings, rudder install, wires and springs and CG.
Mar 31, 2017, 06:54 AM
In F3J size does matter!
Thread OP
The Vortex 3 will be available in 1 piece and 2 piece wings according to pilot preference. Both wings will come with horns preglued in the factory.

The 2 piece wing molds should be ready in approximately 2 weeks time while the molds for the 1 piece wing should be ready in 3 or 4 days.
Hopefully the first V3 will pop out of the molds by the end of next week
Mar 31, 2017, 07:06 AM
Hey Roy,

Who''s responsible for airfoil and design?
Hope to see you in Ludbreg

Rollo
Mar 31, 2017, 07:42 AM
1 revolution and throw!
very nice auto mating system
Mar 31, 2017, 08:08 AM
AERO+
Very interesting mounting design of the screws, up and down hard-point in each wing is very close to the design while I want to set the flare into 2p in our early r&d, BRAVO to you guys to make it happen and push the builders to make more 2p dlg in future.

as I said in fb before, 1p will looks like grandpa plane in short time.
Mar 31, 2017, 08:33 AM
Time for me to Fly...
I can hardly wait to see the details on that aileron pushrod connection.
Latest blog entry: The latest and greatest
Mar 31, 2017, 09:17 AM
One Idiot is plenty...
Who should I send my money to ?
Thank You.
Yuri
Mar 31, 2017, 09:49 AM
Auger up & out, not down & in!
Tough decision, 1p or 2p! Like my 2.5, looking forward to getting a V3! Tom
Mar 31, 2017, 12:01 PM
nice solution! very cool. only thing a dislike it is a huge nose (or it will be smaller?)

Quick Reply