Mar 13, 2017, 02:24 AM
In F3J size does matter!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasLee
Very cool to see 3D printed parts used in prototyping as well, we've been trying that out and it is amazing to be able to test things not only in CAD but physically as well. I hope to see more designers embrace it in prototyping and in making some actual parts with 3D printing tech too. I see what appears to be pin holes in the attachment tube on the verticals, are the verticals designed to be removable? And that leads to the question... is the wing 2p? I don't see anything on the wing molds to suggest that but I could be wrong.
Good eye Thomas,
The Vortex 3 will have a provision for a removable rudder, this is planned for later this year after the model is refined and tested, Denis has a really nice idea for rudder removal but it requires testing and so the holes will be plugged in on the first tails untill the system is mature enough.
The wing mold in the pictures is for a single piece wing only. There will be a 2 piece wing version available later this year but it will be made in a dedicated mold.
The reason for a dedicated mold is how the wing separates. It doesn't use tape to connect the wings and does not separate from the side like other modified wings but has a dedicated "in the mold" joining system. Attaching the two wing halves will not require tape or several small screws, just the 2 original screws which are used to attach the wing to the fuselage in the first place. Both right and left hand throwers will be able to use the same design and it consists of a left and right wing with no separate joiner.
We expect the weight penalty of the system to be around 5 grams in total and will try to minimize it even more.
The system has already been tested successfully during the last year on a proof of concept Vortex 2, hand modified, which has taken many strong launches and used in several competitions and also used successfully in international competitions.

I am personally really excited about the 2 piece wing, having flown the V2 proof of concept model for a while now, I have taken it to work , on trips with the family and also used it in competitions. I used it in most rounds at the Fizir open in Croatia last July where I won 1st place, and in our national league where I finished second overall and made the team for the next world championship. The functionality and practicality of a 2 piece wing is unbelievable and 5 grams at the CG should be negligible as it is weight with no added inertia so handling is unaffected and a 5 gram weight increase has no measurable affect on performance. Even my hand modified wing with a 10 gram penalty flew with no perceivable difference.

But that's not all... More interesting stuff is coming which will make this model stand out over others, this should be one of the easiest model to build ever.

Roy
to remove ads between posts
Mar 13, 2017, 03:10 AM
Hi Roy, thanks for the info! I am also super excited to see more builders planning on 2P models. I honestly thing it is to everyone's benefit flying DLG's if builders embrace this. We are also working on a 2p design with only 2 screws and some aluminum or carbon machined parts, although we are not yet sure whether we need a joiner or not (will see after testing).
Good luck on the project and I am sure we will see quite a few in China before long

Cheers,
Thomas
Mar 13, 2017, 03:35 AM
I'm better looking in person.
This looks super exciting!

I just hope with all the advanced tech that the price tag doesn't follow the gerneral trend of F3K gliders getting more and more expensive every season. The Vortex 2.5 for me is the sweet spot in terms of price+value.
Mar 13, 2017, 03:40 AM
Thanks for the info Roy. Have to wait then, would like to have a two-piece winged F3K for trips. Might even manage to fit a shorter box on my motorcycle, would make contest traveling here more enjoyable ;-)

Tommy
Mar 13, 2017, 12:33 PM
Team Horizon Pilot :)
Well the v2 was just awesome. Ill bet the 3 will be a killer.
Latest blog entry: cr
Mar 13, 2017, 09:42 PM
Team USA F5J
Toby will you have one for the international? And if so could I give it a try?

Jon
Latest blog entry: My sailplanes
Mar 14, 2017, 01:24 AM
AERO+
Roydor, a without tape 2p solution will be cool, would love to see how you guys get them done, can't wait!

in near future, 1p is a grandpa staff. hahahah
Mar 14, 2017, 09:57 AM
Aurora Builder
Very neat Roy. I'm sure you will have a great ship at the end of the day! I would advice looking at how the Evo 3.1 is done, frankly it is one of the more elegant solutions; yes, there are 4 screws that attach the wings to the fuselage (two per side), but that is it. No fiddly mechanical or electrical connections to the ailerons (the wipers slide into pockets on the wing), its a stiff setup, 4 in pod with easy access to all 4 servos for maintenance. Maybe the only things I would change are the full flying stab to conventional (for weight reduction only), and a little work on the fuselage nose shape, but you have that part solved already with the elegant V3 shape.
Mar 14, 2017, 10:31 AM
In F3J size does matter!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by samc99us
Very neat Roy. I'm sure you will have a great ship at the end of the day! I would advice looking at how the Evo 3.1 is done, frankly it is one of the more elegant solutions; yes, there are 4 screws that attach the wings to the fuselage (two per side), but that is it. No fiddly mechanical or electrical connections to the ailerons (the wipers slide into pockets on the wing), its a stiff setup, 4 in pod with easy access to all 4 servos for maintenance. Maybe the only things I would change are the full flying stab to conventional (for weight reduction only), and a little work on the fuselage nose shape, but you have that part solved already with the elegant V3 shape.
Sam,

My 3D printed test model has shown that assembling the 2 piece wings to the fuselage with mechanics and the 2 screws in a calm and easy manner is just under 30 sec.
Same with disassembly.
Putting my Vortex 2 test plane together in the field including the elevator was about 1 to 1.5 min and this was without one of the new features in the V3.

Mar 14, 2017, 10:34 AM
Roy,
What case is that? I'm looking for a decent case for my 2 piece wing.
Thanks!
Mar 14, 2017, 10:44 AM
In F3J size does matter!
Thread OP
It's a rifle case I purchased in ebay about a year ago
Mar 14, 2017, 01:50 PM
I know the Inside out.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by roydor
Sam,

My 3D printed test model has shown that assembling the 2 piece wings to the fuselage with mechanics and the 2 screws in a calm and easy manner is just under 30 sec.
Same with disassembly.
Putting my Vortex 2 test plane together in the field including the elevator was about 1 to 1.5 min and this was without one of the new features in the V3.

Any chance of showing us this plane without the covers.

Would be interesting to see the mechanics....
Mar 14, 2017, 09:44 PM
*Full Disclosure* Im a Gorilla
I'm hoping to have mine by Poway. If I have one you're welcome to fly it.

-Toby
Mar 15, 2017, 12:33 AM
In F3J size does matter!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosbrik
Any chance of showing us this plane without the covers.

Would be interesting to see the mechanics....
I will let Denis finish the new molds and build the prototypes then I will post details of the prototype V2 on the V2 thread.
Mar 29, 2017, 01:25 AM
In F3J size does matter!
Thread OP

Vortex 3 color scheme competition

Denis asked me to announce that he is holding a competition for the Vortex 3 color scheme.

To take part simply post your design for a color scheme using the provided template.
The best design will become the basic design for the Vortex 3 as it enters production.

The chosen color scheme (or schemes ) will award the designer (or designers) a brand new Vortex 3!!!

Final selection of a color scheme will be by April 10th.

Post your ideas and feel free to comment on the design you like in the following thread.

Time to get creative

Roy
Last edited by roydor; Mar 29, 2017 at 01:39 AM.

Quick Reply