Feb 17, 2017, 03:02 PM
Stefan Boicu
I just can`t wait to get mines. I am sure it will be as great as v2.5
I already held my purchase of V2.5 when I heard V3 will come out soon.
Just hope I will get mines in time for competitions this year.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 19, 2017, 02:11 PM
the icbm of pilots
It looks soooooooooooooooo good can't wait to fly one
Feb 19, 2017, 02:31 PM
The fuse looks fat, is it a four in the pod design?
Feb 20, 2017, 02:22 AM
Team USA F5J
It looks to me that they shortened the nose so it gives the illusion of it being fatter.

Jon
Latest blog entry: My sailplanes
Feb 20, 2017, 12:54 PM
Stefan Boicu
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorn
The fuse looks fat, is it a four in the pod design?
I am pretty sure there are not so much details as it is still in development. I think all of us just waits for the 1st real look of it and many many details .. but i suppose we have to wait for a while and just look at the images provided by Roy
Mar 11, 2017, 02:35 AM
In F3J size does matter!
Thread OP
Some more pictures and information of the Vortex 3.

The Vortex 3 will be a 4 in a pod design with some innovative ideas to make it super easy to assemble.

The chosen 4 in a pod design allows the servos to be installed with screws so a quick and simple installation or replacement of a servo can be done with ease and within a short amount time.
Both the receiver and battery are mounted side by side in the nose which allows to keep the nose short and still have as much weight as far forward as possible to reduce the need to add nose weight. Several 3D printed models were made to allow testing of different batteries and receivers, many form factors were tested as well, round LiPo's (650, 1000 & 1200 mAh) and flat LiPo's (600, 650, 750 & 950 mAh) all fit well in the nose next to a good sized receiver, just choose a battery in accordance with the weight required to balance the CG and a good chance it will fit.
Still, the nose is not fat, cross section is smaller than most other 4 in a pod designs. The fuselage is 36 mm in width and 35 mm in height and was designed to fit most popular servos: KST08, DS75, DS65, D47.
The shape of the fuselage was inspired by Drela's laminar fuselage design as to support the volume requirements of the pod and still keep drag low.
A canopy was chosen for weight purposes.

New tail airfoils where designed to keep the weight of the tails low by reducing the volume of the Rohacell down while still retaining excellent aerodynamical efficiency.

The Vortex 3 will have a slightly higher dihedral angle than the Vortex 2 for improved stability and will also come in both top or bottom elevator according to personal pilot preference.

The molds are nearly complete and within a few days the first planes will be pulled from them.

Some other interesting features are still in the works for this plane, hope to reveal them by the end of the month after they get tested and matured a bit.

Cheers,
Roy
Last edited by roydor; Mar 11, 2017 at 02:55 AM.
Mar 11, 2017, 04:41 AM
Very cool to see 3D printed parts used in prototyping as well, we've been trying that out and it is amazing to be able to test things not only in CAD but physically as well. I hope to see more designers embrace it in prototyping and in making some actual parts with 3D printing tech too. I see what appears to be pin holes in the attachment tube on the verticals, are the verticals designed to be removable? And that leads to the question... is the wing 2p? I don't see anything on the wing molds to suggest that but I could be wrong.
Mar 11, 2017, 05:04 AM
Thanks Roy!

Looks like an interesting design. I am excited how the mechanic for 4 pod and wing connection looks and works.
I think it will be as good as the other great designs by denis

Roy and Denis keep on posting great pictures of the process and the first models

Regards,
Lukas
Mar 11, 2017, 11:18 AM
Thanks for sharing pictures of the design process. It is exciting to see such detail and quality.
Mar 11, 2017, 11:35 AM
Stefan Boicu
So it looks like this week or maybe next week 1st flight tests must be performed ) ohhhh so exciting.
Mar 11, 2017, 11:55 AM
the icbm of pilots
those molds look sexy
Mar 11, 2017, 12:30 PM
Time for me to Fly...
I'm really interested in trying a 4in the pod airplane like this. I can hardly wait until the reports on it come out.
Mar 11, 2017, 01:16 PM
I noticed that the specs for the fuselage sound very friendly for "4 in the pod". >The fuselage is 36 mm in width and 35 mm in height< Sounds like enough room for Mks 6100's as well...
Mar 11, 2017, 06:30 PM
I know the Inside out.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by roydor

The Vortex 3 will be a 4 in a pod design with some innovative ideas to make it super easy to assemble

1. This is at least one thing I am looking for. I get so frustrated with fitting servos in my wing. All the hassle and the numbers of time I have to re-do it because it is just not aligned..... Sure, you can question my building skills, but I want to fly - not struggle with getting things right. I want ease of instalation, not cutting holes in something I just paid 700 + euros for....

Three other things that I would like to find in the Vortex 3:

2. Launch height like a Stream NXT. I am getting 60+ with a Stream, easily 7 - 10 meters more than Vortex 2.5

3. And I want the floatiness of a Vortex 2.5...... I really like the flight characteristics of the Vortex. You can fly it more dynamic if you want. You can also rely on its floating capability

4. But I also want a stronger (trailing) edit: I mean leading edge, the front side of the wing - than the Vortex 2.5 has. Please make this plane more robust

If this is combined in this version 3 than I will surely order!

Keep us posted! Thank you Vortex team!
Last edited by Rosbrik; Mar 11, 2017 at 06:53 PM.
Mar 11, 2017, 09:55 PM
*Full Disclosure* Im a Gorilla
I'm sure more goodies will be coming out the the next couple weeks. The Vortex 3 has been completely re-engineered. 3D prototyping has led to a very efficient and effective solution to every aspect of the airframe!! Once Roy and or Myself get permission from DS Composites the world will see all the new upgrades Denis has dreamed up for his new World Beater!!! Needless to say, I am super excited to get my hands on a fresh model for testing!!!

Quick Reply