Jan 14, 2020, 06:25 AM
In F3J size does matter!
Thread OP
I bought mine on ebay but its no longer available.
My case has outer dimensions of 46.62" x 12.5" x 3.81" and inner dimensions of 45.77" x 11.31" (10.01" at handle) x 3.25"

For a single model you can get away with a slightly smaller case, a friend of mine has a 42” case but he needs to remove the rudder cover to close the case
to remove ads between posts
Jan 15, 2020, 07:38 AM
Wayne Wimbish
Quote:
Originally Posted by roydor
I stagger a set of wings and place each set so to point to the other direction, one down one up.
I also position so the peg from one wing doesnít damage the second.
In my box I also remove the padding from one side as its tight enough and I donít want to have too much pressure on things.

Roy
From the photos, it also appears that you have taped a foam pad over the horns for protection. Is that correct?

Wayne
Latest blog entry: Paying for Purchases by PayPal
Jan 15, 2020, 08:59 AM
In F3J size does matter!
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwimbish
From the photos, it also appears that you have taped a foam pad over the horns for protection. Is that correct?

Wayne
Yes, I taped foam pads over all my horns (integrated into the covers). When I was traveling to the WC I had to stuff 5 planes in one box so didn’t want to risk damage. Left it there, it makes a lot of sense actually.
Jan 15, 2020, 09:49 AM
Wayne Wimbish
Quote:
Originally Posted by roydor
Yes, I taped foam pads over all my horns (integrated into the covers). When I was traveling to the WC I had to stuff 5 planes in one box so didnít want to risk damage. Left it there, it makes a lot of sense actually.
Thanks Roy. That makes a lot of sense to me too.

Wayne
Latest blog entry: Paying for Purchases by PayPal
Jan 18, 2020, 08:32 AM
Out flying. Grey but good weather, best flight being 10.52.

Tommy
Jan 22, 2020, 11:03 AM
I have a few repairs to make on my V3. I have a divot in my leading edge that will require the traditional cutting of the small triangle and gluing in foam, then sanding and covering. Any suggestions on what foam that can be used? I currently have a sheet of the pink R-3 foam that you can get at Lowes or Home Depot. Or does anyone have a good source for better foam?
Jan 22, 2020, 11:50 AM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
my 2 cents -

Depending on how large the area is and assuming there isnt any structural load on the repair on launch - (or next to none) I have found that florists foam is really fast to shape, will accept and bond well to laminating epoxy (slow cure!) etc.

Blue an pink foam works too but the sanding is less accurate due to the potential of particles coming out while sanding.

Wicel or standard foams used by the MFR are good but hard to get a hold of. I think you are you in the boonies if memory serves me ? If not- someone in the F3K group should have a piece of foam sent as the torque arm covers (forks of death) - and that will sand nicely too.
Jan 22, 2020, 11:59 AM
Oleg Golovidov
Doug, I repaired a lot of leading edges with just light balsa.
Same technique. Make a triangle or a trapezoid chunk of balsa.
Cut the wing by tracing the chunk with an x-acto knife.
Sand the balsa and/or the wing cutout to make it fit well.
Optional: shape the chunk close to the airfoil shape. To reduce the shaving/sanding later.
Glue the chunk in with medium CA, make sure the glue doesn't get to the exterior joint line or sanding will be difficult later.
Tape around the chunk with masking tape to protect the wing skin.
Carve/shave/plane/sand the balsa chunk down to the airfoil shape.

Now, the beauty is, you don't really need to skin the balsa. It is strong enough for normal loads and handling.
Color it with a sharpie. Or apply a large piece of sticky shiny reflective film over it
and tell everybody that this is intentional, for good visibility.
Jan 22, 2020, 12:11 PM
Thanks guys! I'll give the balsa method a try first. I have a box full of random modeling wood pieces.
Jan 22, 2020, 12:42 PM
In F3J size does matter!
Thread OP
I usually use balsa as well but cover it with light glass.
The difference in weight between light balsa and light foam for small repairs is very small and the strength and durability of the balsa is much better.
Feb 14, 2020, 11:37 AM
Took the night shift cobwebs out of my head by going to the field. Great weather, around 2-3 m/s wind and temperature almost spring like +1 degrees Celsius. Strong V3 just perfect in at times wild thermals. Happy :-)

Longest three flights between 10-11.39 minutes. A friend of mine 3d printed plastic transmitter stick ends to my 16SZ, they feel much better than the original aluminium ones especially in colder weather.

Tommy
Feb 15, 2020, 10:51 AM
In F3J size does matter!
Thread OP
Today on the flying field, Vortex 1 , 2 and 3
Feb 15, 2020, 03:14 PM
Rick Roberts
Nice
Feb 20, 2020, 12:22 PM
In F3J size does matter!
Thread OP
Everybody is showing theres so... time to show ours.
In one month VORT3X will be available as VORT5X

Denis has already milled molds for the fuselage and the rudder molds will hopefully be finished in a few days. After this we plan to build a few test planes to verify fit, finish and function and then start production of the E-Vortex 3!
Wings will be top drive, lighter in construction, no tip reinforcements for the pegs, lighter spars and such. We have already tested top drive wings, even in F3K. Itís a tight installation in the thin wing of the V3 but it just fits under the covers. Wings will be 2 piece wings with the proven V3 two piece wing system which requires only 2 screws. One piece wings will be available as well.
Target weights are 265 grams which is the minimum wing loading for the F5K class according to the rules (12g/dm2) but lighter is possible of course.
At 265 the V3 is still a VERY capable model And we expect great things from it!

More information in a couple of weeks.
Feb 20, 2020, 01:04 PM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
nice

Quick Reply