Jun 13, 2017, 01:17 AM
In F3J size does matter!
Thread OP
A short Vortex 3 update.

Over the last several weeks, test models were sent to various pilots around the world.
These were test models with different layups which were built to test concepts and ideas we had.
Our test pilots gave us important feedback in both construction and flying and we are now implementing all the accumulated knowledge into the next set of models which are planned for world championship pilots.

So far the consensus is that the V3 is a really easy model to fly with excellent legs, easy handling and great floating characteristics. Launch is on par with the best launching models out there today so overall the V3 is all we have hoped for and more.
Most pleasing was the fact that all test pilots choose to fly the V3 in competitions, even though they had very little time on the models.

With just a handful of models being flown worldwide the V3 has already won 3 local and international competitions, fantastic achievement in such a short amount of time for a brand new design

In the next few weeks all WC pilots should receive their models and afterwards the V3 will enter full production.
The 2 piece wing is planned to be available around August, hopefully Denis will have some 2 piece wings available in the WC at the end of July.

In the meantime, a short V3 clip, best watched in HD

Vortex 3 (5 min 11 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Jun 13, 2017, 05:07 PM
Adam
Thanks for the video. Really liked the video of the flying. We need more videos on youtube of catching thermals. The acrobatic flying was just as fun to watch too.
Jun 14, 2017, 02:43 AM
In F3J size does matter!
Thread OP
A short clip from Toby

Vortex 3 F3K auto wing mount system (1 min 36 sec)
Jun 21, 2017, 12:48 AM
In F3J size does matter!
Thread OP
Some more good news,

1. Nikola with another win using the Vortex 3 in the Croatian nationals!

2. Denis sent word that the Vortex 3 can now be ordered!
Denis should finish all of the world championship models this week and will start serial production next week. In the meantime, only 1 piece wings will be available until the 2 piece wing finishes development which should be around August.

If you're interested in a Vortex 3, contact your local Vortex dealers for pricing and availability.
Jun 26, 2017, 12:16 AM
*Full Disclosure* Im a Gorilla
It was an amazing weekend flying the Vortex 3. I was told by many pilots at the contest how much better and higher I'm launching with V3!! The flight performance is amazing, to put it in prospective, USA team Pilot Skyler Raver placed 3rd in the prelims after a short break in F3K competition. He maidened his V3 on the practice day!! Skyler finished in the teens at the USA team selects and immediately shot to the top of the standings at Blue Skies over Utah this weekend. He was hamstrung in the flyoffs after an unfortunate SAM with USA team pilot Mike Maurer. The Vortex 3 climbs like a Flitz and Runs like a stream NXT. The float characteristics are on par or better than the V2.5!! This plane is world class and it's accolades are already proving fact with many worldwide wins and high placings so far!!! I couldn't be happier with the planes, the support, the craftsmanship, performance, the new auto wing mount system and optimized design. Thank you Denis and Roy Dor along with all master fabricators at DS composites!! Looking forward to seeing the world in L'Viv in 3 weeks!! Cheers
Jun 28, 2017, 05:09 AM
In F3J size does matter!
Thread OP
World championship team models for the Netherlands
Jun 29, 2017, 12:21 AM
*Full Disclosure* Im a Gorilla
Works of art!! Denis and team are world class!!
Jul 03, 2017, 05:47 PM
Lou
Lou
Closed Account
Last edited by Lou; Jul 03, 2017 at 06:41 PM.
Jul 03, 2017, 05:58 PM
Kyle Clayton
Any updates on production of the 2p wing version?
Latest blog entry: Helios and XXLite DLG
Jul 04, 2017, 03:04 AM
In F3J size does matter!
Thread OP
The first 2 piece mold is already milled and hopefully will be polished by the end of the week. Denis has been very busy with Team models for the world champs but still plans on bringing a few first 2 piece models to show in Lviv.
Jul 04, 2017, 03:19 AM
In F3J size does matter!
Thread OP
Congratulations to Nikola Frančić for another great competition with the Vortex 3!

The conditions this year were tricky. I had a great first day ending in forth place but had a terrible second day. Nikola managed a near perfect score with a 997 as his drop. Miljenko, Nikola's father flew his Vortex 3 into 4th place with some great flying as well.

I have to say that Nikola looks very strong going into the world champs and seems the V3 suits him very well. Launches are some of the highest I've seen at the high 70's to mid 80's, very impressive!
Jul 04, 2017, 03:23 AM
In F3J size does matter!
Thread OP
During the Fizir open I picked up my team models for the world championships.

They are stronger and I expect to finish them around 240 grams which is my preferred weight for the V3 as an all rounder. They should complete my quiver with models at 195, 215, 240, 240, 260 grams
Hopefully I will maiden at least one of the 2 twins this weekend.
Jul 16, 2017, 09:23 PM
Aurora Builder
Beautiful models Roy. Maybe Richard will chime in with his thoughts, sounds like these are real winners.
Jul 17, 2017, 12:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by samc99us
Beautiful models Roy. Maybe Richard will chime in with his thoughts, sounds like these are real winners.
Me?

I can only echo what others have said asI have not had much stick time with this or the Cx5 yet. Both models take a very different approach to their design. Low wing/High wing, 4inPod/2x2, long tail boom/short tail boom, narrow root chord with lower taper/longer root chord, higher taper.. This means that they feel very different in the air....but both are clearly an improvement on their predecessors, and for pilots it is great that we have choice of very different designs that both give the competitor the knowledge that the score is 100% in the skill of the pilot.

If you are used to flying a vortex2 or Snipe and like 4 in pod..stop thinking about it and just buy a vortex3. If you want to try your first model with 4inpod. Get one of these. The quality of the manufacture is excellent along with their customer service. I will admit that I very quickly took up the offer of a 2nd vortex3. My models for Lviv will most likely be 2x vortex3 , 2xNXT, 1xCX5.
Jul 17, 2017, 01:59 AM
In F3J size does matter!
Thread OP
Attached is an updated 3 view drawing of the Vortex 3.
In comparison to the preliminary CAD renderings in the beginning of this thread, the wing area and tail moments had changed a bit so the numbers have been updated.

One interesting point, on the V2 I felt a big difference in the handling of the bottom mounted elevator and the top mounted elevator. I personally preferred the top mounted elevator. In the V3 I can't seem to find a notable difference between the two and find both to handle just as well. I have 2 identical models with the single difference of top vs bottom mounted elevator and can't really tell the difference in the air. I have yet to decide what is my preference between the two.

Roy
Last edited by roydor; Jul 17, 2017 at 03:54 AM.

Quick Reply