Feb 15, 2017, 10:16 AM
Senior to who? Member
Thread OP
Pretty obvious from how many people say this, one can't be too careful with eye protection. I've also been told several times NOT to trust the supplied Chinese goggles. So I think right now is the time to order some good ones.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 15, 2017, 10:56 AM
You sabotaged my plane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossup
Let me ask the obvious(if you live in 'Merica, land of waste), why not just do a lost coolant setup where you use a pressure regulator to supply tap water. I've seen mention of using only deionized water but I dont understand why that would be needed. I'm suggesting a regulator just to prevent accidentally putting 100 psi city water pressure into the tube. IRC its about $1 per 1000 gal. for the water bill which includes sewer service to get rid of the waste. Or in season I could use it to water the lawn
I did this on my first laser and it was not a good idea. The reason being that the laser design had metal on the end of the laser tube that the water went through during cooling. The metal corroded withing weeks. Scratch one laser tube. Other laser tubes may be designed different without metal but I'm not sure of them. I only run distilled water now with a touch of coolant. Have not had an issue since.

Jim
Feb 16, 2017, 06:47 PM
Senior to who? Member
Thread OP
Found some Honeywell eyeware, picked it because it comes with the ratings engraved right on the lens so at least I know for sure what the claimed protection rating is and its got to be easier to sue a US company than Chinese
Dec 19, 2018, 10:55 PM
Team Futaba
Crossup,

sorry to revive an old thread. Any update on your laser? I ended up picking up a K40 and I'm the process of setting it up. Just like you I would love to build it into a larger enclosure at some point but for now ill deal with the smaller cutting area.

FYI for anyone looking at this thread as previously mentioned laser cutters are no good for carbon but incorrectly stated earlier they are fine for cutting fiberglass, G10 or phenolic sheet.
Dec 30, 2018, 01:15 PM
Youtube channel : solentlifeuk
I have a typical Chinese 40W laser with the 20 x 30 standard bed.

I LOVE IT !! I paid $500 + import ... must be well over 4 years I've had it now. Still working as good as it ever did.

Cooling is by aquarium pump and I use a simple washing up bowl. I put about 8 litres of cold water straight from the domestic tap into it and have a temp probe with alarm set on it. I can work comfortably for an afternoon cutting formers and ribs ...

Cut ? I can cut 4mm plywood with it nicely using 2 or 3 runs at it ... I tried 8mm - but that ended up too many repeat runs that the burnt edges were too much.

I read so much crap about how bad these Chinese machines were .. I was very worried when I ordered ............. but honestly : When I rec'd it :

Packaged in strong wood crate
No damage at all
Everything I needed except air compressor for the air blow was there (that was not part of deal anyway).

Took me about 1/2 hour to set up. Software is MOSHI - again many online reports of it being crap ... well it works OK for me !! Yes I have an odd error - but then I put that down to Bill Gates !!

One thing I would advise anyone who gets one of these .... use the AIR BLOW ... it reduces the amount of burn ... without it - I had a lot of small flames at times, with it - the air blows the flames out ...

Second I removed the sprung holding plate that sits on top of the honeycomb ... without that - my workspace increased ...

Now I can cut super accurate REPEAT pieces ...

When repairing a model ... I can place model on scanner ... scan to a JPG ... import the JPG to MOSHI ... draw the vector round the area I want ... remove the JPG ... then run the laser to produce exact replica.

MAGIC !!

Here's one of my first tests with balsa for a guy online ...

dons balsa test (3 min 41 sec)

All I want now is a machine to take at least 1500mm x 1000m to go in my workshop.

Nigel
May 27, 2019, 12:00 PM
Has anyone cut out carbon fiber with the k40 machine. I need to make some replacement parts for a discontinued multirotor
May 27, 2019, 12:13 PM
Youtube channel : solentlifeuk
I believe that CF will not cut ... but if I had sheet - I'd give it a try. I would think I would try first at a lowish power and medium speed ... see if any impression made ... multiple cuts may work ...
May 28, 2019, 02:19 PM
Team Futaba
Do not cut carbon fiber with this laser. it wont cut and you may ruin the lens.

You can cut fiberglass sheet though. this may be a possible substitute for your project although it will be heavier.

http://www.cstsales.com/a-fiberglass-plates.html
May 31, 2019, 11:59 AM
that's gonna hurt...
Carbon fiber is easy to cut on a CNC router, I'm not in the business, but can help a fellow hobbyist out.

McMaster Carr also sells fiberglass sheets, much cheaper than CST
Jun 21, 2019, 01:46 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Just as a matter of mentioning, there is a laser forum here.

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....

Quick Reply