View Poll Results: Do you think this plane is worth repairing?
No 0 0%
Yes 7 100.00%
Yes and i can help with info or parts 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Feb 11, 2017, 10:20 PM
Help!

Crash Repair - SFM Beagle B121 Pup

hi all. i have just received a crashed aircraft model in need of repair.
it is a SFM BEAGLE B121 Pup (Super Flying Models), it needs the front rebuilt and a new engine cover.
can anyone offer any helpful advice, plans, link to parts or anything that might help me get through this repair.
the plan is to transform it to electric powered once the repair is completed if it should be strong enough to fly again.

i would be interested in buying a used "fixer upper" for parts should anyone have one for sale cheap enough. (australia only please)

direct contact me by email at peterdiam@outlook.com

thanks.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 12, 2017, 09:35 AM
Rudder Only Lover
Did you get all the wood crash fragments? If so, you can do a forensic reconstruction by gluing / taping pieces together, to get an idea of their shape. Then use those as patterns. An alternative lacking those is to take a plan and using it to adapt.

Jack Headley designed 2 36" (915mm) Beagle Pups:

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/search/re...ord=beagle+pup

By printing the front fuselage portion to the scale of the SFM model will give a start, which can be adapted since it has the shape you want. Firewall construction can follow that of a similar sized sport model for electric.

If you've built a couple kits, this should be a fairly simple task. If not, I would solicit help from the experienced builders in your RC club.
Feb 12, 2017, 11:29 AM
You count the number of parts in a kit, and you compare that number to the nuber of parts resulting from your crash.

Then do as you wish, but most that place any value on the plane will repair the crash....
Feb 12, 2017, 03:19 PM
Rudder Only Lover
Just wanted to add, Peter, I don't know what the prospects of you getting another crashed kit near you, but would seem to be nil to none and especially with a sufficiently intact front fuselage. I don't know your expectations in this case.

A well done repair, even if it does not fully resemble the manufacturer's ARF but results in a recognisable Beagle Pup I'd think would be considered admirable, especially now that you are going to do an electric conversion.
Feb 13, 2017, 04:39 PM
All will end well.....

thanks for the tips/pointers and advice.

have stripped back some covering exposing the worst of the damage, started gluing and fixing broken parts.

i have some of the missing bits, and have two firewall shaped bits of ply that i can copy to give the nose some real strength.

got all the electrics to convert over to electric, thanks to a mate in my flying group, so we should see this lovely old girl up and flying again not too far away.

Feb 13, 2017, 07:59 PM
i did want to strip the fuselage totally, but, not knowing what the process was of assembling the tail section and forming a nice shape around the vertical and horizontal intersection, that i didn't want to risk damaging parts during the stripping process.
getting such a nice finish around the tail area would be hard for me to reproduce, should i muck it up, i am sure.
Feb 13, 2017, 09:27 PM
Rudder Only Lover
Peter, a good physical examination by hand over the surfaces with some very gentle movement / twisting of the tail pieces and gentle pressing on the wood through the covering ought to be able to confirm if you have any broken wood that needs attention. I'd pay attention to the glue joints for stabilizer and rudder, landing gear attachment points, etc. Any regluing by the previous owner ought to be looked at as areas of potential problem.

Several years ago in a Great Planes Big Stick 60 ARF that was a donor, I found the main landing gear location under the fuselage revealed a weakness, which was a design flaw that I corrected with additional sheeting. Tail had a weakness, too. I outlined those repairs in:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...tik-60-Repairs

In your case, you may not have to do anything with the fuselage back end, just some things to look out for.
Feb 14, 2017, 09:15 AM
Stay with it Peter, your doing a very good job getting to this point. There is s sense of satisfaction after repairing a crash and it save money.....lol Also your getting a lot of help from other members which is a great thing about this site.

Ron
Feb 14, 2017, 09:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GallopingGhostlr
Peter, a good physical examination by hand over the surfaces with some very gentle movement / twisting of the tail pieces and gentle pressing on the wood through the covering ought to be able to confirm if you have any broken wood that needs attention. I'd pay attention to the glue joints for stabilizer and rudder, landing gear attachment points, etc. Any regluing by the previous owner ought to be looked at as areas of potential problem.
thanks for that tip. done this and all seems good with the tail section
it did show up two cracked supports that help the top plastic cover hold its shape, glued and braced with ply.
the wing and landing gear came off in the crash, i found the weak point that gave way to release the wing, both rear nuts that the wing is attached to, had broken off the cross member,( into 4 pieces) repaired, strengthened and reattached to plane, now wing attaches and secures better than when it was new!

there had been no previous repairs done, the old owner takes a lot of pride in his gear.
all looking good so far.
front is almost done, few more bits of ply here and there for strength, bit O glue, and she'll be ready to put her clothes back on!
Feb 14, 2017, 09:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTLIKES RC
Stay with it Peter, your doing a very good job getting to this point. There is s sense of satisfaction after repairing a crash and it save money.....lol Also your getting a lot of help from other members which is a great thing about this site.

Ron
yeah Ron, I'm having an awesome time doing this repair.

Quick Reply