This thread is privately moderated by Miami Mike, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 11, 2017, 08:41 PM
Registered Taranis User
Discussion

Taranis: glidersim.lua - A New Tool For Setting Up Your Glider

Taranis: glidersim.lua - A New Tool For Setting Up Your Glider

This is a preview of my new Glider Simulator, which runs on the Taranis or OpenTX Companion just like a telemetry script. It's not quite ready for release because I still have to add V-tail support, but here's a demo of the X-tail mode. As soon as I get it finished and well-tested I'll release it to everyone for free. I think you'll find it to be a valuable aid to F3X/TD glider setup, especially with its clipping indication feature.

Clipping means that a control has reached a position such that even if more movement in the same direction is available, it won't do anything. It doesn't mean that any stress or damage is taking place because the Outputs stage prevents that, but I still consider it to be undesirable and have eliminated it in my own setups. I'll post more on that later, but meanwhile, enjoy the demo.

glidersim.lua - A glider simulator for the Taranis screen (11 min 0 sec)

Latest blog entry: Taranis: Aileron-To-Rudder Mix.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 12, 2017, 05:57 AM
I've already PM'd you Mike, but just to say this is going to be really useful for debugging complex setups. Thanks for sharing!
Feb 12, 2017, 10:02 AM
Pompano Hill Flyers
You da man Mike!
Mar 26, 2017, 06:11 PM
Adam
Can you explain a little more the purpose of this and how this helps? I assume you have to adjust the script for your specific configuration.
Mar 26, 2017, 10:19 PM
Registered Taranis User
Well, I wrote it for full-house gliders like the ones I fly, mainly to test various Taranis programming ideas without having to assemble my plane.

If you fly some other type of model you could probably use it as a reference to design your own version. The first step would be to use a program like Microsoft Paint to draw what you want it to look like on a 212 X 64 bitmap, and the next step would be to figure out how to represent control surface movements. In other words, you'd have to start by deciding what you want to see on the screen. Once you've done that, then it's time to get into the actual programming.
Latest blog entry: Taranis: Aileron-To-Rudder Mix.
Mar 27, 2017, 04:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xStatiCa
Can you explain a little more the purpose of this and how this helps? I assume you have to adjust the script for your specific configuration.
Mike's tool is very cool, I'm using it to verify operation of my F3X templates when making mods. It does require a specific servo assignment scheme and control surface configuration, so would need to be modded for other setups.
Mar 27, 2017, 10:11 AM
Adam
Thanks for the info. It sounds like it would be useful for to know that generally things are going the right direction and that mixes are doing the right thing it sounds like.