Oct 05, 2004, 07:41 AM
Thread OP

Finished the paper-Depron Polikarpov I-16

I've just got some minor weathering to do with some black chalk as John Morgan has showed us. Might also put in the exhaust but this is shuch an awesome flyer I want to now have fun flying it.

Total AUW= 9.4 oz. with battery.
Pete
to remove ads between posts
Oct 05, 2004, 07:48 AM
Thread OP
Oct 05, 2004, 07:49 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Beautiful job Pete! It's an inspiration for my La-5.

J
Oct 05, 2004, 07:56 AM
Thread OP
Thanks John,
This was a great and easy build. The hardest part was making the stupid stars.
I messed them up several times and they are still not right but I'll go with them.
Pete
Oct 05, 2004, 08:26 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Pete,
My last Russkie plane, I took a pic of the star to the print shop and had them size and fill the page with them. Then they printed them out on stickyback paper. A coat of matte sealed them and they came out pretty nice. Print shop is just so much more sophisticated than my cheap printer! I had them make several sizes, several pages each, and it was cheap. Now I have stars for about 10 planes in different scales.
I'm going to try to do a pilot this weekend for the 39. I'll take some pics. Hope I can get something that will look decent from a distance but I'm not holding my breath.

J
Oct 05, 2004, 08:54 AM
Departing at 'O' dark 30
Great detail work Pete!

Nice plane. I love the wear on the cowl and prop. Another beauty for your collection .
Oct 05, 2004, 10:15 AM
Thread OP
Thanks Cass,
I was very happy with the cowling. I came close to my orig. inspiration a plastic model that was done from a real picture of one I found on the web.
Pete
Oct 05, 2004, 10:23 AM
Outstanding detail, great job!
Oct 05, 2004, 10:28 AM
Wow that is awesome, very nice job Pete what is the wingspan?
What are you using to power it motor/cells?
Oct 05, 2004, 12:20 PM
Thread OP
Hey SB,
Thanks, You can check out all the build details under a search in this forum (mtflyr) Start of Polikarpov I-16... Lots of pic's & details.
It's got a 32" WS, IPS brushless powered 3 cell 720 LIPolys this is a totally awesome flyer & an easy conversion from paper plans to Depron foam. See the pre-painting flight pic's & info.
Pete
Oct 06, 2004, 02:34 PM
Great bird my man, how about some more details on those skids, I love those. I'd like some like that. What do they weigh/made out of..
Oct 06, 2004, 02:45 PM
it looks like the skids are on the model he used as a reference. he painted retracted landing gear on the base of his
Oct 06, 2004, 03:26 PM
Thread OP
Hey Major M,
Phantom's right. I did wheels up rather than skis...
Would be cool if you have lots of snow... But too much drag etc though on the real one they did retract to the fuselage though not inside. The new rate adjustable flashing diode nav. lights I just installed really are cool... I replaced the orig. model RR lights I'd installed not bright enough. But the diode ones are very bright. See post on the start of the paper to Depron Polikarpov I posted today for a pic.
Pete
Oct 06, 2004, 08:57 PM
I don't worry about extra drag on my AT-6 mini Texan. For I have Brushless power and can climb out of site in 6 or 7 sec. heh heh I would like some skids for winter time though I don't know how much snow I'll see in Seattle. We may get some for 2 weeks if It's a usual winter, well worth the time involved. I may make some depron skids and fashion them after your pics. I'm at a friends house so I dont have a pic. of my plane but you can get an Idea from here .
Oct 07, 2004, 08:04 AM
Thread OP
Hey Major M,
Is yours a profile? That will be cool... Post some pic's with the skis...

Here's some pic's my son took after work yesterday. I think you can see the nav. lights on the starboard wing in one. They looked cool even in the sun light depending on the angle.
Pete

Quick Reply