new proboat alpha twin- jet boat patrol boat - RC Groups
Feb 09, 2017, 01:37 PM
Discussion

new proboat alpha twin- jet boat patrol boat

another new jet boat by proboat
Pro Boat® 21-inch Alpha Patrol Boat RTR (2 min 27 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Feb 09, 2017, 01:50 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Pulling out the big guns now, eh? Very cool.
Feb 09, 2017, 03:37 PM
Lots of good gear inside it seems. It does look to be more than I wanna spend with all the little details though. That's a little bigger than I would want, too. But I believe I could accommodate it. Now if they were to sell just an uncut hull minus electronics....
Feb 09, 2017, 03:43 PM
Eh I would rather pay $50 more and get the faster jet boat.

But I guess that's not the point of this boat lol. It seems like some decent currents would over power this (compared to what the other one can handle)
Feb 09, 2017, 04:00 PM
would look good towing your overturned boat back to shore though, they really know how to work a camera and make it look super cool .

ok, who`s gonna be the first to convert it to brushless?lol
Feb 09, 2017, 04:12 PM
Yeah that would look awesome. And no worries about tangling a prop with the string. They do know how to make good videos!!

And that will be epic
Feb 09, 2017, 06:13 PM
Just Plane Nutts
The other Proboat is faster, but this one would not look right jumping wakes. It's scale, and it looks scale when running slow or fast. Nice work.

The price seems right, but I'm a bit bummed about brushed motors. That's probably the only thing I don't care about on it...gotta be honest...
Feb 09, 2017, 07:11 PM
Kit form would be best.

I want to go watch 'Apocalypse Now' again.
Feb 09, 2017, 07:38 PM
Platinum Card Member
Yeah, it's a scale copy of the Vietnam era Pibber (Patrol Boat, River). It had two jet drives for going up canals and such. I was wondering when someone would do one of these. My hat's off to Proboat - sweet job!
Feb 09, 2017, 11:03 PM

new proboat alpha twin- jet boat patrol boat

About a year ago I bought two NQD drives and had the intentions of doing something like this. The Pibber was based off of a commercial boat but I never even found one of those hulls the right size.

This isn't for bashing waterfalls but cruising up and down a creek would be enjoyable.

Edit:

HorizonHobby and Proboat websites list them for about $250usd. Spares are available but to put one together without electronics a la carte costs more than the ARTR.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/product/...-boat-prb08027

http://www.proboatmodels.com/Product...PRB08027#parts
Last edited by Brake Weight; Feb 09, 2017 at 11:14 PM.
Feb 09, 2017, 11:41 PM
Platinum Card Member
I see with an optional third channel, you can make the front turret rotate. Wouldn't this be a cool location for a camera for FPV ?!
Feb 10, 2017, 01:33 AM
Brushed motors seem to work better on scale boats, much smoother acceleration at slower speeds thats why most of the scale guys still use them but most of those are propped boats not sure if that makes a difference or not . Looks good i wish it was bigger but thats just me i like big boats lol.
Feb 10, 2017, 03:14 AM
I think it might be the price point why they use brushed motors. And indeed the maximum speed is more scale.

And does it steer by adjusting trust portside and starboard?

And it is a tiny model. I once wanted to buy the Kehrer version, with 2 x 28mm jets. That kit only was quite an investment
Feb 10, 2017, 07:37 AM
It's says it has steerable nozzles and the zoomed in pics get fuzzy. But it appears to be also.

I wonder if the pumps counter rotate each other.
Feb 10, 2017, 10:28 AM
Platinum Card Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight
It's says it has steerable nozzles and the zoomed in pics get fuzzy. But it appears to be also.

I wonder if the pumps counter rotate each other.
Yes, the nozzles steer - the servo operates one, and a rod connects the two nozzles. It would be to no advantage to have the two counter-rotate as in prop designs. It sure looks like a NQD/Graupner copy, doesn't it?!