Proboat alpha patrol boat - Page 5 - RC Groups
Feb 28, 2017, 03:15 PM
Keep a Steady Strain....
That was quick...just got the shipping confirmation from Horizon that the PBR is on it's way...guess I'll charge up the battery that they pre-shipped me last week...
to remove ads between posts
Mar 01, 2017, 03:11 AM
Just Jamie and Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by capntroy
That was quick...just got the shipping confirmation from Horizon that the PBR is on it's way...guess I'll charge up the battery that they pre-shipped me last week...
Great! I should be hearing from my LHS from where I placed my order soon then.
Mar 01, 2017, 11:04 AM
r/c ships and workboats
Quote:
see mine is to be here by Friday. I suspect Troy will get his a day faster since his doesn't have to travel north....
Mar 01, 2017, 12:08 PM
Submarines, etc.
I would have preferred a boat with no radio at all, 1/16 scale, brushless, with reversing buckets... for the amount of money they want for this... (basically what the Graupner mini jet pilot boat is) but i guess i am just finicky...

and their excuse for not calling it a PBR does not hold water...
Mar 01, 2017, 05:25 PM
Keep a Steady Strain....
So much for having time to charge the battery...it's here already!

The boat is very well packed and takes a bit of care to extract from the box to avoid damaging masts & gun barrels, etc.

First quick impression is that it's a very nicely made model with no glaring issues that jump out immediately.

After I took the last photo, I located the lasercut boat stand hiding in the small box with the transmitter.
Mar 01, 2017, 05:31 PM
Capntroy, How is the hull thickness.Would you say it is sturdy?
Mar 01, 2017, 05:37 PM
Keep a Steady Strain....
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc432
Capntroy, How is the hull thickness.Would you say it is sturdy?
Yeah, there's a little flex when you press on the hull, but nothing more than any other ABS plastic boat from Robbe or Graupner...I'd say it's going to be plenty sturdy for scale boating.
Mar 01, 2017, 05:41 PM
Keep a Steady Strain....
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsenecal
and their excuse for not calling it a PBR does not hold water...
Fully agree! They could have called it a "River Patrol Boat" and still lived up to the spirit of the actual name, but Tamiya called their kit a "Pibber" and sold buttloads of those kits, so not identifying the boat as a PBR doesn't really make sense no matter what...
Mar 01, 2017, 06:00 PM
GET BACK IN THE SHOP!!!!!!
Don't forget tsenecal, the Graupner boat is a kit, this is RTR. You can easily add $200 to get the Graupner built and on the water. Radio, ESC, battery, paint, adhesives etc...That new sheet styrene house is going to take a ton of time too.

DH
Last edited by CaptDH; Mar 01, 2017 at 06:20 PM.
Mar 01, 2017, 06:22 PM
Looks nice Troy. Now, it needs some weathering....Your first run should be at the top lake at Cerritos Regional....
Mar 01, 2017, 07:12 PM
Keep a Steady Strain....
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDH
Looks nice Troy. Now, it needs some weathering....Your first run should be at the top lake at Cerritos Regional....
When will you be giving your next lecture series on the art of weathering? I need to get some schoolin'...

Mar 01, 2017, 09:27 PM
r/c ships and workboats
Just have to wait until Friday...... And luckily for me that the business Fed Ex driver also does the local deliveries and will watch and deliver to work for me!!!!
Looks good so far from what your showing Troy. But definitely going to be some weathering and additions to be made.
Mar 01, 2017, 10:07 PM
Keep a Steady Strain....
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith S
Just have to wait until Friday...... And luckily for me that the business Fed Ex driver also does the local deliveries and will watch and deliver to work for me!!!!
Looks good so far from what your showing Troy. But definitely going to be some weathering and additions to be made.
I wouldn't hold my breath for that Friday delivery, my box said "Keith Sche..." on it and it was crossed out...just sayin'...

Mar 01, 2017, 11:33 PM
Submarines, etc.
Quote:
Fully agree! They could have called it a "River Patrol Boat" and still lived up to the spirit of the actual name, but Tamiya called their kit a "Pibber" and sold buttloads of those kits, so not identifying the boat as a PBR doesn't really make sense no matter what...
Tamiya calls it a "Pibber" because that is its nickname. "PiBbeR". like HMMWV became "Humvee"

what is worse, there is an "Assault Support Patrol Boat" that IS nicknamed the "Alpha" patrol boat... and it isn't a PBR... its a much larger armored vessel with a much larger gun on its bow.

Proboat couldn't have done worse.
Last edited by tsenecal; Mar 01, 2017 at 11:39 PM.
Mar 02, 2017, 09:59 AM
Troy, Swing by the house, we can knock it out in an hour or two max.

D