Proboat alpha patrol boat - Page 4 - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Feb 20, 2017, 01:50 PM
Ahhgh! Not ANOTHER new plane!
SoCalBobS's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tug Hercules
Luis will do any scale, based on his series of figures;

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/panz...aign=affiliate

Give him a shout.
Excellent website! He's got some USN figures that could easily be scaled to 1/18. He'd just have to redo the heads to wear berets!
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Feb 20, 2017, 06:33 PM
Registered User
royalcasa's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael_Lopez
Hi Guys, hopefully I can help answer some questions.

The boat is 1/18 scale. We chose to go with this size because it's a very good size for a display boat, on a desk or in a case. It is also a good size for most water conditions in medium to small ponds, or in large bodies of water close to shore. Keeping the price low was also a key focus on this project. We found that using 2 smaller scale size pumps with 390 size motors was more economical than 2 larger pumps with 540 or 550 size motors, in a larger hull. The boat does not have reverse for the same reason, adding extra parts to the pumps and an extra servo or mechanism to operate reverse would have ballooned the cost.

As to the name, we felt that naming it something completely individual would make better sense. PRB PBR seemed a bot confusing to us. We feel that those who know the boat know what it is and since we didn't put any decals on the hull, the end user can detail whatever lettering they want on the boat.

One very cool feature is that you can add a servo of your choice to the front turret and control it with a 3 channel radio. I use the dial on my DX5R surface radio to control the turret. Only the screw to mount the horn to the turret will be included. Customers will need to add the servo and horn, along with a radio which gives access to a 3rd channel or aux channel.
https://youtu.be/hIjJq9UzR1A

Anyways, here is a closed quarters test I did early on with the boat. I'm more of a fast electric guy but this project was very fun to be a part of and I enjoy whenever I get to run it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-0Cs1C_nP8
Not to hijack the thread but, do you think Proboat will bring back the CG 47 Lifeboat or the AB destroyer

Thanks
Feb 20, 2017, 06:57 PM
Keep a Steady Strain....
capntroy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalcasa
Not to hijack the thread but, do you think Proboat will bring back the CG 47 Lifeboat or the AB destroyer

Thanks
If they do re-release them, the Coast Guard 47 footer will probably be named the "Bravo Zulu Swimmer Rescue Boat" and the Burke will be named the "Shooty Shooty Ocean MissIle Ship," you know, because that makes more sense than the real names...
Feb 20, 2017, 09:33 PM
Grumpa Tom
Kmot's Avatar
Hahaha...
Feb 21, 2017, 08:13 AM
Registered User
J Bergsmith's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by capntroy
If they do re-release them, the Coast Guard 47 footer will probably be named the "Bravo Zulu Swimmer Rescue Boat" and the Burke will be named the "Shooty Shooty Ocean MissIle Ship," you know, because that makes more sense than the real names...
Good one!
Feb 21, 2017, 11:49 AM
Po' boys does w/ Po'boys ways
haxawsnavy's Avatar
Thx for the laugh Capntroy,! Tim aka Cap'n Hax
Feb 21, 2017, 01:16 PM
Registered User
DaveG's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDH
Search 1:18 ultimate soldier vietnam on EBAY. Still a few listed but getting more expensive... Mine came out great with a little repainting....
Very nice!
Feb 21, 2017, 05:46 PM
Just Jamie and Me
babblefish's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDH
Search 1:18 ultimate soldier vietnam on EBAY. Still a few listed but getting more expensive... Mine came out great with a little repainting....
Considering what I paid for the one I have, these sellers on eBay must include a bar of gold with each purchase...
Feb 21, 2017, 06:50 PM
Po' boys does w/ Po'boys ways
haxawsnavy's Avatar
And here I thought Kelly's Hero's Got all the GOLD,!! LOL,!! Tim aka Cap'n Hax
Feb 22, 2017, 08:09 AM
Registered User
royalcasa's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by capntroy
If they do re-release them, the Coast Guard 47 footer will probably be named the "Bravo Zulu Swimmer Rescue Boat" and the Burke will be named the "Shooty Shooty Ocean MissIle Ship," you know, because that makes more sense than the real names...
Lol
Call them whatever you want, I would buy one specially the 47
Last edited by royalcasa; Feb 22, 2017 at 09:15 AM.
Feb 22, 2017, 09:44 AM
Registered User
DaveG's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by babblefish
Considering what I paid for the one I have, these sellers on eBay must include a bar of gold with each purchase...
Ha! No kidding. I didn't realize 1:18 ultimate soldiers were a good original investment commodity.
Feb 22, 2017, 10:09 AM
Mmm, tugs...
patmat2350's Avatar
Sell yours now! With the availability of custom 3DP figures (like Luis's), the bottom could fall out of that market...
Feb 22, 2017, 11:24 AM
GET BACK IN THE SHOP!!!!!!
CaptDH's Avatar
I bought everything I could find when they were on the shelves. $5 each at the time. Still have enough for a couple more boats.
Feb 23, 2017, 04:30 AM
Just Jamie and Me
babblefish's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmat2350
Sell yours now! With the availability of custom 3DP figures (like Luis's), the bottom could fall out of that market...
You mean like the once ubiquitous Beanie Babies? I have friends that lost a fortune on that particular fad.
I think I'll hunt around Flea Markets and Thrift stores for the Viet Nam figures.
Feb 25, 2017, 09:54 AM
Park Stormer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael_Lopez
Hi Guys, hopefully I can help answer some questions.

The boat is 1/18 scale. We chose to go with this size because it's a very good size for a display boat, on a desk or in a case. It is also a good size for most water conditions in medium to small ponds, or in large bodies of water close to shore. Keeping the price low was also a key focus on this project. We found that using 2 smaller scale size pumps with 390 size motors was more economical than 2 larger pumps with 540 or 550 size motors, in a larger hull. The boat does not have reverse for the same reason, adding extra parts to the pumps and an extra servo or mechanism to operate reverse would have ballooned the cost.

As to the name, we felt that naming it something completely individual would make better sense. PRB PBR seemed a bot confusing to us. We feel that those who know the boat know what it is and since we didn't put any decals on the hull, the end user can detail whatever lettering they want on the boat.

One very cool feature is that you can add a servo of your choice to the front turret and control it with a 3 channel radio. I use the dial on my DX5R surface radio to control the turret. Only the screw to mount the horn to the turret will be included. Customers will need to add the servo and horn, along with a radio which gives access to a 3rd channel or aux channel.
https://youtu.be/hIjJq9UzR1A

Anyways, here is a closed quarters test I did early on with the boat. I'm more of a fast electric guy but this project was very fun to be a part of and I enjoy whenever I get to run it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-0Cs1C_nP8
Appreciate all the background Rafael. I think those are all fair compromises in order to make this accessible to a larger market.

That said, I personally would have love to see reverse buckets as at least an optional mod. My biggest fear running this would be getting the front hung up/beached on something, and not having room to push over it, but also not having the ability to back out over it. The ability to throw "the brakes" on for an emergency stop would also be nice. I know this would likely require at least an advanced 4 channel radio that could be mixed so that pushing forward on the trigger increases throttle the same direction as forward, but with the bucket servo engaged.

Hoping the aftermarket steps in here to help! If someone can point me towards a solution here, I'll happily pre-order this otherwise awesome boat!


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion new proboat alpha twin- jet boat patrol boat helizrnew2me Jet Drive Boats 99 Yesterday 02:38 PM