Feb 09, 2017, 08:55 AM
Build Log

Revolectrix-themed power bank

I didn't even intend it to be Revo color schemed but this is just a sealed lead-acid battery carrier I put together from stuff (including paint) I had around, so I thought I'd share here. Ended up being a perfect match for my DPL charger so I put a sticker on it. You might also notice the bump tag. It's a little 3d printed holder which makes bumping it quite easy - just snap it in and out of the base part.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 09, 2017, 10:04 PM
Boy that's a great clean looking build Becker, well done.
Feb 11, 2017, 07:55 PM
Thanks Ohio, I'd do some things differently if I had to again. Like I might get rid of the relay which uses 2.5W. It is nice to have a power switch for the charger though. Also next time maybe li-ion. Lead acid is waaay too heavy... :|
Feb 18, 2017, 07:26 PM
Unregistered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckler
I didn't even intend it to be Revo color schemed but this is just a sealed lead-acid battery carrier I put together from stuff (including paint) I had around, so I thought I'd share here. Ended up being a perfect match for my DPL charger so I put a sticker on it. You might also notice the bump tag. It's a little 3d printed holder which makes bumping it quite easy - just snap it in and out of the base part.
Hello Beckler,

That is brilliant, mate.

So you designed it and printed it all out on a 3d printer?

It looks such a robust little unit too.
Feb 20, 2017, 07:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vimy g eaou
Hello Beckler,

That is brilliant, mate.

So you designed it and printed it all out on a 3d printer?

It looks such a robust little unit too.
vimy: thanks... So yes just the bump tag holder I did on my printer. Was one of the first projects I did - one of the reasons it doesn't look that good (it does work tho). Used sketchup; it can't even draw a smooth circle - imagine that (you can see segments if you look closely). I soon uninstalled that junkware. The battery carrier is all made of wood.
Feb 21, 2017, 05:35 AM
Unregistered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beckler
vimy: thanks... So yes just the bump tag holder I did on my printer. Was one of the first projects I did - one of the reasons it doesn't look that good (it does work tho). Used sketchup; it can't even draw a smooth circle - imagine that (you can see segments if you look closely). I soon uninstalled that junkware. The battery carrier is all made of wood.
Hi Beckler, the metallic red cover you made, looks like it is printed or at least built up from acrylic sheet. I couldn't tell it is made of timber.

Doesn't the printer software come with templates or make it less sensitive?

Looking at this table:

https://i.materialise.com/blog/top-2...r-3d-printing/

You have the 2nd best software available, only topped by BLENDER.
Feb 23, 2017, 07:01 AM
Vimy, interesting link there. I think sketchup is popular because it's well-known (has been around a very long time, was originally by Google). It's just my experience it's not great for 3d printing (and read at least one other site say this). I use Fusion 360 now and it seems very good. I should try blender too.