Mar 14, 2017, 11:13 AM
Yes, it is a beautiful place to fly. This version of the TigerMoth has some real potential for offering the solution to the design goals. It's fast, aerobatic and very damage resistant.

I haven't decided yet whether the separate elevator is a good or bad thing. If I can get the crow sorted, which isn't too difficult, it might be worth the extra expense and work. I'm going to set up a separate program that has the ailerons operating as elevons, and the separate elevator engaged only for crow.

Why? Because in normal fast or cruise flying, the separate elevator works well, but when you want to slow down, it creates a washed-in condition that makes for tricky handling; just what you don't want for landing in turbulence. If you slow down with up elevator, you want the up-travel on the outer surfaces, not at the root.

Five more TigerMoths are on the bench. I have orders for two from local flying buddies, and I want more myself. It is that much fun to fly! The next generation is going to use 1/8" nylon rod on the leading edge and a stronger sub-spar in front of the trailing edge stock.

The batteries will be AA's end-to-end, to reduce frontal area. Also a hard rubber nose cone to reduce foam wrinkling in front.

Ed
to remove ads between posts