Apr 16, 2021, 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew
No, not unless the entire unit has to be replaced. We only have one X24 coming back (that I know of) and that is for a defective OLED screen. That is just a swap of the screen.
That's mine. So just reinstall, check direction and fly.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 17, 2021, 03:12 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citation Ultra
That's mine. So just reinstall, check direction and fly.
Yep!
Apr 18, 2021, 11:50 AM
Hi Jim, just some feedback. I flew the Yak today and towed a glider up to 1600ft and had absolutely no problem. The radio system worked perfectly.

Enjoy your Sunday, mine is done! ��

Charlie
Apr 18, 2021, 11:52 PM
Thread OP
Great to hear! Thanks for the update!
Apr 25, 2021, 02:38 PM

Binding After Perfect Auto-Match

Hello again Jim. I need a bit of help with my X24 setup. D1 is my master servo and E1 is my slave servo for my right wing. Both servo arms are 1.5". My transmitter channel for the Master and Slave servos is channel 2 and it's EPAs are set to +/- 110%. I followed all the instructions and the great insight provided in this thread to perform my auto match on my right wing and it went well. Matched perfectly. As per instructions, I then unplugged the slave, exited the menu system back to the main screen showing voltage and got the green led as per instructions. I then plugged the slave back in and so far so good, all quiet.

I had setup the master for an even 45 degrees of throw on the aileron in both directions. I deflected my aileron while watching the current display. Left aileron was good but right deflection resulted in loud servo buzzing and high current draw (4.5 amps) when I got to the last about 1/5th of the right aileron stick. I do not understand why this is happening after a successful match.

I have attached pictures of my setup.

If you could help it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Robert
Last edited by ripper-911; Apr 25, 2021 at 03:12 PM. Reason: More info
Apr 25, 2021, 04:44 PM
Thread OP
Did you change the EPA after doing the AutoMatch? You can’t do that. You have to make sure that you set the end points prior to the AutoMatch and not change them afterwards. You can change the trim, but not the end points.

It could be that you are over-driving the surface, and the hinge line is binding. What servos are you using where you would need to unplug the slave?

Please note that we are not using RCGroups anymore for support. Please use our direct support forum here:

https://www.xtremepowersystems.net/forum/
Apr 25, 2021, 04:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew
Did you change the EPA after doing the AutoMatch? You can’t do that. You have to make sure that you set the end points prior to the AutoMatch and not change them afterwards. You can change the trim, but not the end points.

It could be that you are over-driving the surface, and the hinge line is binding. What servos are you using where you would need to unplug the slave?

Please note that we are not using RCGroups anymore for support. Please use our direct support forum here:

https://www.xtremepowersystems.net/forum/
Never touched anything after the automatch. Just plugged the slave back in and moved the surface with the aileron stick like normal. Checked for hinge limits and there is no mechanical resistance at all.
Also, wouldn't the match current jump if there was binding? It was perfectly normal throughout.
I didn't need to unplug the slave servo. It said to do that in the instruction manual. The servos are Futaba a700's. They don't have built in failsafe. They free wheel with power and no signal.
Last edited by ripper-911; Apr 25, 2021 at 05:58 PM. Reason: More info
Apr 26, 2021, 02:40 PM
Thread OP
I responded on our support forum, but for future reference - the instructions you are referring to (in blue on page 36) are stated as only for when using servos that have a failsafe that can not be disabled. Follow the instructions starting at page 37 when using normal servos (like the Futaba servos you are using).
Apr 27, 2021, 03:28 AM
Quick service. X24 on it's way back.
Jun 05, 2021, 07:17 PM
Tried to register XPS support forum but activation email hasn't arrived (not in spam) so posting here!

Hi all - if I could have some advice regarding the servo matching I would really appreciate it.

My set up is XPS 24, Tx is Futaba 18sz, servos Futaba S9177SV SBus 2. I am an experienced builder/flyer but reasonably new Futaba person and brand new with XPS (previously powerbox). The servos have soft start active and failsafe hold. I can't seem to disable the servo failsafe hold from the TX (plugging directly into the servo port on the back), and have the servo programming dongle on order.

Dual wing servos (3M Extra) are in a slightly unusual configuration - inboard and outboard servos have arms opposed - in practice inboard (designated master) has "normal" direction and outboard (designated slave) needs to be reversed. Overall geometry is great - turnbuckle lengths identical at neutral etc etc.

So I read the manual carefully, noting the recommended procedure for matching servos where those servos have an active "hold" failsafe (not sure whether active soft start makes a difference). The results have been terrible (see below) no doubt due to my ignorance of the architecture/principles of the XPS 24 so advice appreciated! (Help!)

I have done the following EXACTLY.

1. Servo assigned to output port B1 Channel 6 (AILE2) for the Master
2. Servo assigned to output port B2 Channel OFF for the slave
3. Enter Automatch mode - no servos connected.
4. Choose Servo Group (2)
5. Entered Setup Master
5. Selected port B1, centered aileron, direction "N"
6. Unplugged master servo from port B1
7. exited setup Master, entered setup Slave
8. Plugged slave servo (outboard) into port B2
9. Port B2 servo enabled, direction "R", surface centered
10. Slave servo disconnected from port
11. Exit slave setup enter start automatch
12. Master into port B1, endpoints established by moving sticks, then left at center
13. slave servo connected to port B2
14. Automatch initiated...... servos screaming... overload triggered ... red light!

Afterwards the portB2 was completely inactive which I fixed by performing a reset.

So... I have also tried this by having the slave set to "N" not "R" within the automatch routine and the result was not as dramatic - an attempt at matching but after 30 seconds of noise, servos screaming (but no overload) and aileron deflected at around 5 degrees and there it stayed for a minute or two and with no further action I pulled the plug! Nothing at all like the videos I have seen using XPS 24 automatch.

I am certain I must be making some basic error so any inputs gratefully received. I have discontinued playing with the settings right now - I'm lucky that the servos pots still seem intact!

Thank you!!

Beej
Jun 06, 2021, 05:44 PM
Thread OP
Your registration with our forum was approved. I answered above in the Flying Giants forum.
Oct 07, 2021, 07:41 PM
Is there any of you guys using Fromeco Relion batteries with the x24? I wonder how the small wires from the batteries can handle the Amps from the servos. The x24 comes with 14 Awg while the wires from the Fromeco battery are really thin. Thanks
Oct 11, 2021, 02:26 PM
Thread OP
We don't recommend using any type of standard Lion battery for flight systems. They do not have the current capability that R/C models require. We recommend using LiFePO4 type cells (like A123) - something with at least 10C (preferably 30C) discharge capability. Lipo cells are also an option (but not nearly as safe as LiFe, and may be too high of voltage for some types of servos, unlike LiFe which work with any type of servo).

The wires will of course need to be large enough to handle this type of current.
Oct 22, 2021, 07:38 AM
RC Junkie
I know this forum has moved but I have a question while I wait for my approval in the official support forum. Has anybody using Jeti radio system used a R3 receiver or two in either clone or duplex mode with a R900 for backup? I am trying to successfully accomplish this but the issue right now, using one R3 with a 900mhz backup, that the servo movements are jerky with both receivers plugged in to the xps 24. I have them set up using Jeti UDI with a 14ms rate. When I disconnect either receiver, the servo movement becomes smooth. Are there any unique settings that I am missing?
Oct 23, 2021, 06:49 AM
Thread OP
There is a solution that someone found for this, but I don't recall what it is. I will have to go back and look at some posts. The problem is that the JETI 900MHz transmitter by default only outputs data at a 10Hz rate, which is technically in the realm of a failsafe condition because it is too slow. I would not want to try to fly my aircraft on a 10Hz refresh rate.

Quick Reply