X24 Integrated Flight Control System - Page 3 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
This thread is privately moderated by JimDrew, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 18, 2017, 12:56 PM
Yeah, the X24 definitely simplifies installation, getting rid of ignition BECs, match boxes, y-cables, etc.

It's always hot this time of year here! Might break the official 128 record (which was actually 134 at the airport, but the Chamber of Commerce doesn't like that info public!)
to remove ads between posts
Jun 21, 2017, 12:25 PM

X24 pro

So, some people have asked for an update on the X24 PRO and what it will include for features.

The X24 PRO is the standard X24 (with AutoMatch(tm)), along with a 10DOF module. This is a 3-axis accelerometer, 3-axis gyro, 3-axis magnetometer, and a barometric pressure sensor. There are multiple temperature sensors as well. This gives you complete flight stabilization capabilities for all axis, and includes axis-lock and adjustable gain/PIDs from the X24 menu system and/or transmitter.

You will be able to send in your existing X24 and have it updated to the PRO version for a fee (to be determined still). We don't give release dates, but I expect the PRO version with flight stabilization to be ready later this year.

A future firmware update for the PRO version will make it possible to plug in a pitot tube sensor and GPS module to be an auto-pilot system complete with way-point programming, boundaries, altitude limiting, return to home, etc. I have not decided on what GCS software to support yet, but it will likely be an open-source solution like QGroundControl or Mission Planner.
Jun 21, 2017, 07:55 PM
Build more, websurf less
Wow. Didn't see that coming. Great and interesting news and I'm dazed by this update.

Use Mavlink telemetry and Mission Planner. It would be awesome if something like the RFU could send the Mavlink telemetry back to the GCS by way of the XPS Telemetry Station or something like that. Other features could include the ability to use an LTE modem for the telemetry, and a port for an external compass.
Jun 21, 2017, 09:34 PM
ALL of the ports on the X24 are bi-directional and can be assigned for any purpose. So, you could plug in a GPS modules and any type of telemetry sensor. I designed this with auto pilot in mind, and a recent event has kind of kicked this whole thing into gear.

I can have the X24 output any protocol for telemetry data, and the GCS could use a telemetry station for it's input; there would just need to be handler written.
Jun 22, 2017, 06:11 PM
OK, I added preliminary support for MAVLink v1.1 protocol (just Autopilot TX and GCS Tx modes supported currently). This will require a special cable that converts two ports into a single MAVLink connection. You should be able to plug that directly into a 3DR radio (915/433) or LTE MAVLink module and get/send data immediately through any of the GCS programs out there.
Last edited by JimDrew; Jun 22, 2017 at 10:09 PM. Reason: fixed my fingers!
Jun 22, 2017, 09:57 PM
Build more, websurf less
Jim,

Do you mean a 3DR telemetry radio, or one of those systems based on open-source software defined radios (SDRs)?

Paul
Jun 22, 2017, 10:09 PM
Nope, that was dyslexic fingers! I meant 3DR radio! LOL!
Jun 25, 2017, 03:04 PM
Jim,

I bought my x24 a few weeks ago, and I wanted to update firmware before I started with it. I installed the XDP software. The XDP.exe launches, but it says XDP hardware not found. Reading this thread, I saw you referenced an updater v1.5. I ran that, and it flashed to v1.5 firmware. Is that the most recent version?

You guys could use a bit better documentation on the update process. You need to put the process you gave in this thread on your web page, and you need a reference to that in the manual. I don't think the manual says anything about firmware updates. So far I've probably spent an hour trying to figure it out, and I'm still not sure if I've got the latest firmware. It would be helpful if you could clean up the instructions all in one place, give us the rev history like you have for all the other products, and give a reference in the manual.
So, what is the latest firmware rev? What is the XDP program for? Why can it not see the serial LInk and X24 when the updater can?
Jun 25, 2017, 09:14 PM
All information is deliberately here and not on the website. We use this support forum as the main method for technical support.

The latest firmware version is v1.5.

The XDP software is for our XDP programmer, which is a wireless programmer for all of our transmitter modules and receivers. The XDP software does not support the X24.
Jun 26, 2017, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the info Jim. Take it or leave it. I'm just telling you that it was not straight forward at all to find and understand the firmware upgrade process from the manual, web page, RCgroups, sifting through this thread, and finally having to ask questions from XPS to bring it to a conclusion. This process is about a paragraph or two, and it should just be in the manual.
Jun 26, 2017, 03:14 PM
Noted! Thanks... I will have that added.
Jun 26, 2017, 10:10 PM
Experts and designers seldom make good handbook writers because everything is so obvious to them and they can't see all the ways a novice can do it wrong. I have been a technical for over 60 years writing pilot's handbooks and wind tunnel testing procedures. One of my manuals can be found on the internet. Google SEDR 109.
Jun 26, 2017, 11:51 PM
Build more, websurf less
Chuck,

That is an amazing piece of work. Looking at it makes me want to be a better engineer. The Space Race must have been heaven for the technically minded.

Paul
Jun 27, 2017, 02:14 PM
Note that the first post in this thread is a step-by-step tutorial on how to update the X24's firmware.
Jun 27, 2017, 09:43 PM
Build more, websurf less
Interesting observation from bench testing. 915MHz telemetry radio (100mw) does not affect GPS, while the 433MHz telemetry radio (500mw) almost renders the GPS inoperable.

Will 915MHz play well with the 2.4GHz RFU?

How can I make these judgements? I vaguely remember it has to do with the power of the interfering signal at the same frequency as the victim.

For example, the 433MHz has the highest output near 433MHz, but still emits energy away from the center frequency down the line as it approaches the 1227MHz and 1575MHz frequencies of the GPS. Sometimes there are humps of higher power even far away from the center frequency. Am I close?

Thanks,

Paul
Last edited by FlyingW; Jun 27, 2017 at 11:23 PM.