Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by JimDrew, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 17, 2019, 06:08 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew
No, sorry we do not offer any type of discounts. We do not sell to dealers or distributors so we can sell our products at a dramatically reduced price.
No biggie, I bought one anyway.

I doubt I'll get it by Saturday but oh well.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Oct 17, 2019, 07:54 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by navyguy757
No biggie, I bought one anyway.

I doubt I'll get it by Saturday but oh well.
Can't imagine that you will be disappointed......we now have eleven "X24's" at our field! .......
Oct 18, 2019, 09:06 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by tande
Can't imagine that you will be disappointed......we now have eleven "X24's" at our field! .......
id tbh I prefer a regulated output and the smartfly eq2 has one along with servo matching, sure maybe not as many points and is 50 dollars cheaper, it does have a more known name and rep tho, so we shall see lol.
Oct 18, 2019, 09:51 PM
Thread OP
Why exactly would you prefer a regulated output? Can you give me the specific reasons why you think this is better than straight unregulated power?

The EQ2 is an equalizer. Compare the X24 to the Smart Fly's EQ6 Turbo Plus (their high-end system that is $80-$125 more than the X24). The EQ6 Turbo Plus does not have a built-in ignition BEC (just a $45 option for ignition cutoff), proportional servo matching (end point/expo, center offset, reversing) with current information, serial data stream support, sequencer, or numerous other features that the X24 offers. The EQ6 Turbo Plus's servo bus is also limited to 17.5A continuous (40A peak) - which is not even close to enough for large 3D models.
Last edited by JimDrew; Oct 18, 2019 at 09:57 PM.
Oct 20, 2019, 10:23 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew
Why exactly would you prefer a regulated output? Can you give me the specific reasons why you think this is better than straight unregulated power?

The EQ2 is an equalizer. Compare the X24 to the Smart Fly's EQ6 Turbo Plus (their high-end system that is $80-$125 more than the X24). The EQ6 Turbo Plus does not have a built-in ignition BEC (just a $45 option for ignition cutoff), proportional servo matching (end point/expo, center offset, reversing) with current information, serial data stream support, sequencer, or numerous other features that the X24 offers. The EQ6 Turbo Plus's servo bus is also limited to 17.5A continuous (40A peak) - which is not even close to enough for large 3D models.

So i received it the other day, when I was putting the batteries on it, (2 brand spanking new fresh out of the pack spektrum 2200mah life batts) I plugged one in and didn't notice that the other lead was barely touching the muffler canister and set of a few brief sparks. not electrically isolating them seemed like another oversight, cus a failed battery will drain the other one much quicker as well and although doubling capacity does not give the redundant safety of two separate batts like nearly every other board out there.


my question is now, did i screw up the board? or the batts? it was brief but a few good shoots of sparks came out. battery did not get hot, and just changed it up fine only took a few mah as it was fresh out of the pack. if shorting out the x24 from one lead with a batt connected is damaging or even a risk of damage its trash to me now.

the more I give it thought I wish i had gone with a smart fly, auto matching or not. smart fly does offer it, but as far as reasons for a regulator,. one consistent voltage though out, no vdroop etc that is why every single other one has regulators on it. while I did not know they were not isolated battery leads until i read the manual, i didn't realize that the ease of having it short was as well, being it was just near the canister. sure some slight oversight on mine. but damn. what is the mentality in that choice?


sure maybe you can get away without the need for a regulator, but even IF you can run straight lipo to the servos and rx. regulated power is cleaner and more consistent. AND ESPECIALLY isolating each battery would be redundant. if I wanted double capacity i would just use bigger batts.

Next time I will not cheap out a little (as its not that much cheaper for a smartfly even a decent powerbox) to save a few on such a large expensive plane.


my suggestion, put isolation between the two battery inputs. even if its ONLY for safety period. secondly i suggest at least an OPTION for a regulated supply to the servos and rx.


If i even risked the x24 by shorting out the one lead with the other battery connected ill toss it in the trash. not gonna risk my plane on 200 dollar board. it was powered on, so shorting the batt I assume only affected the bat, BUT as it was going through the board to the other battery lead I can only guess.

in any case without at least electrically isolated battery leads AND at least an option for a regulated output, I am not sure if I will be buying another that is for sure. ease of using auto match or not.
Last edited by navyguy757; Oct 21, 2019 at 04:34 PM.
Oct 21, 2019, 01:37 AM
No bounce, No play.
davidmc36's Avatar
RTFM

"Power Inputs
Each of the main power inputs are capable of handling up to 100A of
current. The power inputs are not electrically isolated from each other,
however, they are isolated individually from the servo bus through large
power MOSFETS. When using dual batteries, there will be an equal drain
from both batteries. Keep in mind that the batteries are connected in
parallel once connected to the X24, so you must be using batteries that have
the same capacity and voltage.
Note: shorting one set of main power inputs while the other set is connected
to a battery can damage the X24. Both sets of power inputs should be used.
If not, then fully insulate the unused set to prevent possible shorting
."
Oct 21, 2019, 01:49 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc36
RTFM

"Power Inputs
Each of the main power inputs are capable of handling up to 100A of
current. The power inputs are not electrically isolated from each other,
however, they are isolated individually from the servo bus through large
power MOSFETS. When using dual batteries, there will be an equal drain
from both batteries. Keep in mind that the batteries are connected in
parallel once connected to the X24, so you must be using batteries that have
the same capacity and voltage.
Note: shorting one set of main power inputs while the other set is connected
to a battery can damage the X24. Both sets of power inputs should be used.
If not, then fully insulate the unused set to prevent possible shorting
."

Yeah I had read it. Once I got it. But didn't realize my connector was touching my canister. Still a poor design for not having 2 isolated power inputs. Defeats the purpose of using 2 inputs. If you wanted capacity you'd just wire it in parallel already or use bigger battery. So not sure what purpose it has the second one for, as it does NOT provide the redundant protection an isolated power inputs would. Infact it doubles your chance of some issue. If one battery goes bad it can cause the other to go bad much quicker if not at the same time via shorting etc.

Also the main reason for regulators is Bec even when rated at 7.2/7.4 volts not everyone wants to run at the same voltage. Even though a servo or any electronics rated at a given voltage say 7.4 will still have shorter life time than those using it at a lower voltage. Also gives more battery options and when fully charged almost all batteries are above said voltage which is NOT good for servos. Claim all you want some servos are actually problematic when given excess voltage. And there are no 6.0volt batteries. Only 6.6 and when fully charged is still too high for the 6v rating on many servos not everyone is using HV servos. Aside from the other reasons to have a regulated output. Which btw your claimed BEC is still a regulator which could also fail as you claim so why not just make us use another battery for that too? Lol.

.I'll be tossing this crap in the trash and not risking nor buying another. O know everyone on this thread will disagree. Because this is where the fans of it are at. But the competition has been around longer for a reason
Oct 21, 2019, 06:19 AM
No bounce, No play.
davidmc36's Avatar
"6 volt" serves are absolutely rated for a fully charged 5 cell NiMh etc. which certainly are over 6 volts fully charged.
Oct 21, 2019, 09:15 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by navyguy757
Yeah I had read it. Once I got it. But didn't realize my connector was touching my canister. Still a poor design for not having 2 isolated power inputs. Defeats the purpose of using 2 inputs. If you wanted capacity you'd just wire it in parallel already or use bigger battery. So not sure what purpose it has the second one for, as it does NOT provide the redundant protection an isolated power inputs would. Infact it doubles your chance of some issue. If one battery goes bad it can cause the other to go bad much quicker if not at the same time via shorting etc.

Also the main reason for regulators is Bec even when rated at 7.2/7.4 volts not everyone wants to run at the same voltage. Even though a servo or any electronics rated at a given voltage say 7.4 will still have shorter life time than those using it at a lower voltage. Also gives more battery options and when fully charged almost all batteries are above said voltage which is NOT good for servos. Claim all you want some servos are actually problematic when given excess voltage. And there are no 6.0volt batteries. Only 6.6 and when fully charged is still too high for the 6v rating on many servos not everyone is using HV servos. Aside from the other reasons to have a regulated output. Which btw your claimed BEC is still a regulator which could also fail as you claim so why not just make us use another battery for that too? Lol.

.I'll be tossing this crap in the trash and not risking nor buying another. O know everyone on this thread will disagree. Because this is where the fans of it are at. But the competition has been around longer for a reason
Yup.....toss it in the trash & then just GO AWAY, please.......EVERYBODY will thank you! ......
Oct 21, 2019, 09:20 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by tande
Yup.....toss it in the trash & then just GO AWAY, please.......EVERYBODY will thank you! ......
You're a pleasant person. Instead of trying to defend it, or explain why it's better you resort to a prissy attitude.

Totally makes me think this so good when you can't give any insight lmao. Pretty sure everyone loves you at the field, when they disagree with your views to tell them to go away instead of adding evidence and reason lmao.
Oct 21, 2019, 09:25 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by navyguy757
You're a pleasant person. Instead of trying to defend it, or explain why it's better you resort to a prissy attitude.

Totally makes me think this so good when you can't give any insight lmao. Pretty sure everyone loves you at the field, when they disagree with your views to tell them to go away instead of adding evidence and reason lmao.
Your total meltdown as illustrated by your rant above deserves no other type of response......
Oct 21, 2019, 09:47 AM
Living the dream
thebluemax's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by navyguy757
.I'll be tossing this crap in the trash and not risking nor buying another.
If you are going to toss that piece of crap into the trash, instead of doing that you can send that piece of crap to me. I can PM you my mailing address and pay you for the shipping.
Latest blog entry: Aegis Aircraft F-117
Oct 21, 2019, 02:15 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by navyguy757
You're a pleasant person. Instead of trying to defend it, or explain why it's better you resort to a prissy attitude.

Totally makes me think this so good when you can't give any insight lmao. Pretty sure everyone loves you at the field, when they disagree with your views to tell them to go away instead of adding evidence and reason lmao.
Here's a novel idea for ya......"I Accidentally Created An Electrical Short/Circuit Issue & Fried The Device....My Bad"......
Oct 21, 2019, 02:23 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by tande
Here's a novel idea for ya......"I Accidentally Created An Electrical Short/Circuit Issue & Fried The Device....My Bad"......

I literally said that in the first post I made about it. LOL please at least if you are going to criticize me read the posts and get the info straight. that still does not prevent me from voicing my opinion on why I think that was a bad design. which allows said mistakes to happen. I mean it is your fault for crashing your car, but the airbag recall still needed to take place as they were injuring people when they did crash them. lol. weak analogy but I believe you get my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navyguy
sure some slight oversight on mine
Oct 22, 2019, 12:00 AM
Registered User
j_whitney's Avatar
I believe that it is 100% guaranteed - all you pay is shipping costs


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools