Feb 08, 2017, 04:26 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

X24 Integrated Flight Control System

INFORMATION UPDATED: 12/07/2018

To order this product, click here: http://www.xtremepowersystems.net/pr...?prod=XPS-X24D

So what is the X24 and what does it do?

In short, everything! This device acts as a power expander (providing high current for your servos), replaces your switch system with a high current version, replaces your ignition battery (or BEC) with one built-in, replaces your match boxes, and can use up to 4 serial based receivers (SBUS, XBUS, etc.)... and more!

Some key features:
  • Dual 100A power inputs, controlled via a "soft" switch.
  • Programmable BEC with dual outputs for ignition systems, LED lighting, etc.
  • 4 receiver inputs, supporting 11 different serial protocols (XPS Xtreme, Spektrum, SBUS, SBUS2, XBUS Mode A, XBUS Mode B, Graupner SUMD, JETI UDI12, JETI UDI16, JETI ExBus, and Multiplex SLRX).
  • 4 Spektrum satellite inputs with a dedicated power supply for them.
  • 24 output ports, each individually programmable for the channel assignment, end points, neutral point, subtrim, reversing, and failsafe positions.
  • All 24 output ports have current sensing capability, meaning that you can see the current being drawn while manually matching channels.
  • AutoMatch (tm) - you setup a master servo and a slave servo, press a button, and the entire surface is matched for you electronically by building a 1536 point match curve, with 16x oversampling and 65536 step resolution! Don't settle for a handful of match points that other products give you!
  • 16 individual 3 stage sequencers (for gear doors, making pilots wave, or whatever you can dream up!)
  • Double-buffered servo outputs. Besides the normal current isolation, there is a buffer IC used to isolate the servo bus from the CPU. This offers protection for the CPU against a high voltage spike (like accidentally plugging in your 6S lipo instead of your 2S Lipo!) This also offers protection for the entire system in the event that a single servo shorts out.
  • Signal boosting. The output signal is not the normal 3.3v like all 2.4GHz receivers. Instead, the signal voltage is boosted to 5v and follows the input voltage when lower than 5v. This eliminates issues with certain servos that want to 'tick' when using a lipo for power and a 3.3v signal input. JR's retract servo also is one that requires a 5v signal.
  • Auxillary power input. Fully isolated 3rd power input. So, you could have both of the main power inputs fail and the 3rd input would still fly your plane.
  • OLED screen
  • Measures voltage and current 1000 times per second to show you REALLY what is going on.
  • Data logging of voltage, receiver packet loss, and more!
  • ..and much more!

The Pro version will be out later, and will include a complete flight stabilization system (3 axis gyro, 3 axis accelerometer, 3 axis magnetometer, and barometric pressure sensor). Units without this feature can be upgraded by us if you choose to do so at some point.

AutoMatch(tm) video:

X24 AutoMatch (9 min 31 sec)
Last edited by JimDrew; Dec 07, 2018 at 01:23 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Thread OP
The X24 Integrated Flight Control System (X24-IFCS) is now available. This product was formerly known as the X24 Channel Expander. Due to the fact that X24 does so much more than a simple Channel Expander, we have redefined the product.

You can download the X24 manual here.

The latest updater (v2.0) is available here.

---------------------------------------------------------

HOW TO UPDATE YOUR X24's FIRMWARE:
  • Make sure you have downloaded and installed the XDP software package located here. Make sure that you run the installer in ADMINISTRATOR mode!
  • Download the latest X24 updater (see above).
  • Disconnect all batteries from the X24.
  • Plug the cable from your Serial Link into the X24's MATCH power port (this will turn on the X24).
  • Put your X24 into "Computer Mode" by going to the SYSTEM menu and selecting Computer Mode.
  • Launch the X24 updater program (in ADMINISTRATOR mode), and click on Find Device.
  • Now click on Flash Device.
  • When the flash is complete, remove the power from the X24.

After successfully updating the X24, apply power to it and go to the SYSTEM menu and select RESET DEFAULTS. The v2.0 upgrade requires the reset if you are upgrading from v1.4 or ealier.
Last edited by JimDrew; Dec 07, 2018 at 01:21 PM.
Thread OP
Pictures!
Last edited by JimDrew; Apr 28, 2017 at 10:38 AM.
Feb 09, 2017, 03:17 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
awesome news!... a week after my birthday, but I will strive to forgive
Feb 12, 2017, 10:14 PM

If Purchased at the AMA Ontario Convention

Jim, the new product sent out to the pre-orders also include those customers who purchased the X24 Channel Expander at the January AMA convention? My buddy and I were starting to wonder if we were going to need to turn back in our business cards to you? Good to hear they are coming out. You had told us you were waiting on the plastic from overseas.

J.
Feb 13, 2017, 09:43 AM
Thread OP
Yes, all of the pre-orders from the AMA have now shipped out. There was an issue discovered with some servos working with automatic current matching, and I am working on this. Since everyone who pre-ordered also has a Serial Link we went ahead and shipped these out. Firmware updates will be released to add back in the auto-match support and some new features, like "balance" for like surfaces that are not connected together.
Last edited by JimDrew; Feb 13, 2017 at 12:53 PM.
Mar 11, 2017, 11:54 AM
Thread OP
Ok, just an update. I delayed the release of the X24 due to an issue with the AutoMatch feature when using a few brands of servos that have an incredibly high refresh rate - like 333Hz servos used for some big applications and tail rotor servos for helis.

During this time, I also re-designed how the user does the AutoMatch, and the manual is now complete with these changes. You can get the latest manual here:

http://www.xtremepowersystems.net/data/X24_manual.pdf

I am busy doing testing of the various servos which takes time, but I expect to finally be able to release this product shortly. Thanks for your patience!

Note: once released there will be an updater program for flashing the exiting X24's that are out there
Last edited by JimDrew; Mar 13, 2017 at 05:56 PM.
Mar 13, 2017, 02:16 PM
Does this device have SBUS serial data output as an option?
Mar 13, 2017, 05:55 PM
Thread OP
No. It's possible of course to do virtually any type of I/O with this product. Why would you need SBUS output?
Mar 14, 2017, 01:58 PM
I want to run some or all SBUS/SBUS2 servos serially. But still have the multi receiver redundancy, I find that part very important.
Mar 14, 2017, 05:04 PM
Thread OP
You do realize that that servo connectors are only good for 5A of current? That's technically not even enough for a single modern high-torque servo. When you start running multiple servos from the same SBUS port, you are dividing the power available by the number of servos. It really doesn't work, and it's the entire reason why the X24 exists. You would be far better off running all of the servos from the X24, even if you needed long extensions to do it. They would be all individually powered correctly, and have individual failsafe control.

I will look at what would be needed to add a pass-thru for the selected protocol, but I would highly suggest not using this for anything more than a retract valve servo or something else that uses extremely low current.
Apr 28, 2017, 09:20 AM
Probably should mention.....you can now "Add To Cart"! ...
Apr 28, 2017, 03:53 PM
Ordered mine yesterday
Apr 28, 2017, 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBY002
Ordered mine yesterday
Since you're in Tx. & I'm in Mi., you will probably get yours first.......please keep us posted! ....
Apr 29, 2017, 12:19 PM
Will do, I have a 96 inch Extra 260 with two servos per aileron with a ZDZ 80 I was going to use a Booma AR IM22 channel matcher on now going to use the X24. It will be a little while before I get to it, I have two airplanes in front of it that neither need the X24, both will most likely get the XPS 10+. The original set-up did not use any channel matcher, just 4 hours per wing with a couple of amp meters monitoring the servo current to get the mechnicial linkages close enough that they didn't fight each other too bad. Really looking forward to trying the X24 out.

Quick Reply