Feb 08, 2017, 03:33 AM
Mike's Ma Maaaaaaaaan
Discussion

What to do with a 3D printer......

So I decided to treat myself to a new toy and got a 3D printer kit which is now up and running but still needs quite a bit of fine tuning regarding finding the optimal settings as well as a couple of mechanical mods that I want to make. The aim was twofold, firstly to be able to knock out small one-offs which would be time consuming to coddle together from aluminium carbon and wood and the second was to teach myself 3D drafting, a skill which may be useful in the future.

Obviously I am bursting with ideas of stuff that I want to try to make and on the AG front my list of future projects is:-

A simple head loosely based on a mixture of the HK one and Jochen’s Millennium but using a G10 head plate. The thinking here is that all of the forces are carried by the Jesus bolt and the head plate, I just hope that the printed parts are strong enough to move the head around as required. Good to read that the new offering from Banggood also has a printed head so I should be OK.

Printed solid wedge shaped rotor shims with varying angles to equate to 0.4, 0.6, 0.8 and 1.00 mm, should make setting up really easy and eliminate the head plate bowing slightly if the bolts are too tight (had that a few times).

Rotary sanding attachments to sand down blades based on what Freya151 did. Obviously plastic can’t be made into a router bit but I think that coating with epoxy to adhere sanding grit to the tool could work, some kind of guide to keep the tool at 90 degrees to the blank and maybe a dedicated DC motor (save using a drill) running from the motor drive function on my Icharger 208B.

Blades……………………….. I think that it would be quite easy to print blades that would be suitable but my machine only has a 200 X 200 mm bed so even on the diagonal it would make for a pretty small model. I started thinking gluing sections together, well, I did for a second or two before realising that it probably wasn’t a good idea. Then I started thinking about what a blade is, it’s just a little wing which is made to fly quite fast but still a wing. What makes up a wing? A spar for strength and an outside skin to make the air behave nicely by flowing around it creating lots of lift. How about a one piece carbon rod spar with printed sections of ‘air director’ (profile) glued along it?? Might work and be a quick easy way of producing accurate blades of varying lengths and widths.

Blade profile shaped sanding block, a negative profile shaped sanding block around 20 cm long with sand paper stuck to it make finishing blades easy. It could even have sides on it with no sand paper so that you just keep sanding until the sides are running on the bench.

Work in progress……

Paul

to remove ads between posts
Feb 11, 2017, 06:32 AM
Wow. Please keep posting...
Feb 12, 2017, 03:09 AM
G'Day Paul
It's just mind boggling ...all the things that you could do. I have considered a printer ...but this very old brain of mine can not get to grips with modern tecknoledgy ( or even spell it ) but I'm sure you will have lots of fun finding what to do .
Happy Printing
Chris...
Mar 13, 2017, 04:26 PM
I just got a 3D printer and have been messing around with a lot of things RC related. Just recently started making up gearboxes and clutches for start assists and rotor blades.

Check this thread for more info:

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthrea...ard-Auto-gyros

This is what I got done this weekend:

Gearbox. Gears are PETG and the box is PLA.
3D Printed Autogyro Gearbox (1 min 14 sec)

Clutch Assembly (after multiple different types and renditions finally got one that's reliable).
3D Printed Auto-Gyro Ratchet Clutch (0 min 50 sec)

I also got my rotor blades mostly figured out. They're stupid fast to build probably 5 minutes or so. Essentially you just cut out a rectagle of foam (in this case the dollar tree variety) and glue it to the the assembled blade leading edge. Makes for a very nice and lightweight 15" blade. The blade parts index together and are glued together with some medium CA. I think they will be plenty strong, and if you break one, no big deal, just print another. It's only a few cents worth of plastic and foam.

You get a nice airfoil shape for the leading edge. Still haven't decided if ironing down the foam trailing edge to make it sharp and to continue the airfoil is needed. Think I'll try unshaped foam first and see how performance is.
Mar 14, 2017, 04:15 AM
That clutch assembly is one nice piece of work....but will the plastic stand up to the load.?
Happy Landings
Chris...
Mar 14, 2017, 07:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinoz
That clutch assembly is one nice piece of work....but will the plastic stand up to the load.?
Happy Landings
Chris...

Only one way to find out.

If this fails, I can always beef up the parts, or print with some more exotic materials. Nylon or maybe polycarbonate would be super tough.

Hopefully I'll be testing it with blades soon. I have a set of the platinum foam combo blades pictured above ready to go.

I've also designed a set of full airfoil blades for printing. Figured I might as well try it. I'll get a set printing before I head to work.
Mar 14, 2017, 02:21 PM
Mike's Ma Maaaaaaaaan
Yep, that kind of stuff was what I was thinking......

Unfortunately a couple of things have got in the way of my progress recently but just about back on the road again now.

Love the foam/ printed leading edge idea, why didn't I think of that????

Paul.
Mar 15, 2017, 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB
Yep, that kind of stuff was what I was thinking......

Unfortunately a couple of things have got in the way of my progress recently but just about back on the road again now.

Love the foam/ printed leading edge idea, why didn't I think of that????

Paul.
Stole the hard leading edge idea from hobby king. Looks like their Auto-G uses plastic supports so I figured I 'd give it a shot.

Spent the last couple days wasting a lot of hours trying to figure out thin wall printing for very lightweight full airfoil blades. I think I finally have a workable solution after a ton of trial and error.

A bit more drawing this evening and hopefully I'll have something ready for a final print test.
Mar 24, 2017, 05:38 PM
This is a little frightening but it works lol. About 1000 RPM at 1/3 throttle.

3D Printed Autogyro Gearbox and Clutch Spin Up Test (0 min 28 sec)
Mar 24, 2017, 07:43 PM
That is most impressive ...congratulations.
Chris...