Feb 08, 2017, 01:39 AM
Thread OP
Question

Traxxas Bandit model 2410 - Is it good? Can it be upgraded to brushless easily?

Has anyone ever upgraded one of these to brushless? is it something a newbie could do, or lots of custom work.
Last edited by RC Aerobat; Feb 12, 2017 at 08:45 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 12, 2017, 08:45 AM
Thread OP
Anyone know?
Feb 12, 2017, 10:51 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Here's something I found about it, might help: https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...dit-2410-model

They suggest to replace the tranny with a metal gear one.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Feb 12, 2017, 01:55 PM
I did this exact upgrade. I went to a Rustler body. My Bandit is an old one, I don't even know the model number. I started out on a tight budget, and did a little along as I had the cash. New, metal gear in the transmission, brushless 3300Kv, with Castle Creations Sidewinder ESC I run 2S and 3S. No problems with any gears tearing up. I have broken a couple of caster blocks and a couple of bearing carriers, both front and rear (one of each). No other problems. I did put on an oversize front bumper (RPM). I have the tires and wheels off of a Slash. I put bearing on all axles. I also just installed some long shocks in the back in order to get a little more ground clearance. I got some real cheap and they were Intergy reservoir shocks. I had to turn the reservoir part to the inside so I could mount the Rustler body without it rubbing. I have two bodies, and on my shelf body, I also installed led head and tail lights, 4 of each. I had it geared to 76t spur and a 31t pinion, Couldn't keep the front end down, even with the wheelie bar. Plus running quite a bit, (about half the time) on grass, the rest on the street, it got hot at about 7 minutes and went into thermal shutdown. I have changed the gearing to 86t spur and a 25t pinion and will run it some later today to see if it gets hot. I had it geared at 86t spur and 16t pinion and it was plenty fast on 3S, and never got hot. Even after a 20 minutes of street/yard run, you could put your hand on the motor and not remove it at all. I think it was in the neighborhood of in the 120's degrees n the motor, and the ESC was in the mid 70's. Ambient temp was in the mid 50's I think I had pictures of it on the thread "what car did you run today", or "what did you run today" however it read. If your interested, I could text you more pictures, just PM me your number.
Last edited by Stanbur; Feb 12, 2017 at 02:00 PM. Reason: typo
Feb 12, 2017, 02:08 PM
It's all something anyone can do, with minimal skills and tools. I usually run my 2 or 3 times a week and on weekend nights, while watching TV I will tear it down, give it a general cleaning, and lube the bearing a little. I have found that if you get it good and clean, you can spray it all over, lightly with "tire shine" aerosol, and when it dries it has a real shine, and if it get dirty, it is easier to clean. Plus it somewhat water proofs it. I even spray the body with it, let it dry, and buff it with a dry rag, for a real nice shine. I like the Castle Creations ESC, because I like to link it to my laptop and set the variables. Then you can save it, to their program and it will chart it out for you. I like to experiment with the different settings and gearing. I enjoy tinkering with it about as much or more than running it
Last edited by Stanbur; Feb 12, 2017 at 02:10 PM. Reason: typo's (not a good day for me, physically)
Feb 12, 2017, 02:21 PM
Suspended Account
yes it can be easily upgraded to brushless... its fun..you have 1 gear to replace the idler gear only all others are some type of metal already id go with a RPM gear case to hold motor in place as the traxxas plastic one moves when a little heat is applied by motor or just running..
Feb 12, 2017, 08:02 PM
I haven't had that issue, as of yet. I really monitor temps closely, and haven't had an over heating event yet.
Feb 12, 2017, 10:57 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for all the replies.

I saw the Traxxas Bandit for sale for $60 but then I read brushed motors don't last very long.

Maybe I should just get a brushless buggy since I read in the first thread reply that one has plastic gears as well as brushed.

I just want a basic 2wd brushless buggy for a low price and gentle use. One that is durable.
Feb 13, 2017, 02:39 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
I think ECX would fit budget and other requirements, but check parts availabilty where you live. Most like this brand, but one person hates it to the core, and will probably show that here too.

LRP has the Twister, a nice design too, but a little more pricey.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...eme-100-Truggy

If you can afford it, the Kyosho Ultima RB6 Readyset could be an option. Another user on this forum is very happy with his.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...eadyset-Review!
Last edited by SoloProFan; Feb 13, 2017 at 02:47 AM.
Feb 14, 2017, 07:54 AM
Traxxas vehicles seem to hold their value about as well as any brand. Parts are widely available. Parts are relatively inexpensive. There is an abundance of hop-ups and upgrades to be found. They are easy to work on and maintain. Traxxas vehicles come in a wide variety of styles to fit your interests and taste. They seem to be made of about the same quality of material as other brands in the same price range. They have a wide range of identity and acceptance in the RC circles. It just seems like a good investment to go with Traxxas, if they will fit your budget at all. I have a pretty tight budget and have built my car up as time went, and I could afford it. Now I am very satisfied with what I have for the money spent. Of course, I am just a lawn/street/parking lot/vacant lot type of runner. I have no experience or opinion if you want to get into organized racing. Others here can advise you better on that subject.
Feb 14, 2017, 08:37 PM
Thread OP
Thanks, yes I just want it for some fun going around the carpark (nothing too rough). I'm totally new to rc cars.

I saw at the moment there is a second hand Brushed Traxxas Bandit model 2410 for $60 and a brushless 'wild killer' model buggy for $80 - $100 but needs some replacement parts.

One factor though is I want to use my rc plane transmitter instead of the car type with the wheel. So I'm not sure if all would be compatible with a jr type plane receiver. Or better yet if I could get an rc car without the transmitter/rx for less.
Feb 14, 2017, 09:28 PM
Suspended Account
all most any rc will work with a air rx/tx.. but there are some that will not... im sure you can find a used rc to fill your wants... just check on parts availability from local hobby shops.. more than likely the traxxas brushed will need a new motor soon..by me thats a $22 part...i will not get in the brand debate..as you asked about a traxxas model..
Feb 14, 2017, 09:34 PM
I believe you just need to get a receiver that is compatible with your transmitter. Same frequency. I know I have seen some posts here in reference to using the stick transmitter with surface vehicles. It's just all in your preference, I believe. I push the Traxxas because I have fun with mine and have not had much experience with other brands. And I have never had any major issues with mine. Some on here seem to really dislike the Traxxas vehicles. and I don't understand why. Maybe they got a lemon once, I don't know. I do understand that Traxxas is a shade higher than other brands for essentially the same rig. But if you can get one at a bargain, well a bargain is a bargain, no matter the brand. It just boils down to personal preference, and to your working budget. I started out with a cheap rig I got in a trade, and upgraded as I could afford it. Now I have all the car I really need for what I do.. Good luck, and keep me informed as to what you decide to get, and how things are working out for you.
Stan
Feb 15, 2017, 01:37 AM
Thread OP
Thanks, I guess it's not really a bargain when I have to replace the brushed motor a lot though.
Feb 15, 2017, 02:47 AM
I think the brushed motors do pretty well if properly broke in and maintained. Especially when you take into consideration the RPM's they produce. Of course it's not anything like brushless, but it is still considerable.

Quick Reply