Pl 8. Limited amps - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Feb 07, 2017, 09:14 PM
Discussion

Pl 8. Limited amps

Hi all. Other than the one preset that is a high power setup, I can't get it to go higher on any other preset. I looked on the pic software and did not see any settings that would change it. Help. Lol.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 08, 2017, 05:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDignition
Hi all. Other than the one preset that is a high power setup, I can't get it to go higher on any other preset. I looked on the pic software and did not see any settings that would change it. Help. Lol.

Higher than what?

What are you trying to charge?
How much current do you want to charge?

Except for the High Power presets charge current is limited to 10A.

And what did you mean by the Lol? Was there something funny about your problem?

Glen
Feb 08, 2017, 01:09 PM
the 10 Amp limitation. so all I can use is the high power preset?..what if I want to make my own presets, Is there an option for the high power?

I charge alot of 6S 5000 MaH pack in parallel. cant do much with the low 10A setting.

And yes, lol is for levity.. First world problems.
Feb 08, 2017, 01:27 PM
Quote:
the 10 Amp limitation. so all I can use is the high power preset?..what if I want to make my own presets, Is there an option for the high power?

I charge alot of 6S 5000 MaH pack in parallel. cant do much with the low 10A setting.

And yes, lol is for levity.. First world problems.
You can make a copy of the high power preset and save it in an empty slot. Or you could write over a preset you don't need. Then you can modify the preset copy to suit your needs. You can also rename your copy of the high power preset.

Glen
Feb 08, 2017, 02:44 PM
OK..so thats the only way?..there's no switch or option anywhere to do it otherwise?.
Feb 08, 2017, 03:00 PM
Quote:
OK..so thats the only way?..there's no switch or option anywhere to do it otherwise?.
What is it that you want to do?

Glen
Feb 08, 2017, 03:26 PM
Just trying to learn some about this charger. I sometimes charge 6 2200 MA 3S packs, and it wont do over 10 amps total for me.. or the 5000 MAh pack I have, same thing. Just trying to learn about all the ways it works.
Feb 08, 2017, 03:49 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1
What is it that you want to do?

Glen
Quote:
Just trying to learn some about this charger. I sometimes charge 6 2200 MA 3S packs, and it wont do over 10 amps total for me.. or the 5000 MAh pack I have, same thing. Just trying to learn about all the ways it works.
FMA is a very safety conscious company. For that reason most of the LiPo presets are limited to 10A. That keeps someone from blasting high current into smaller packs. But to accommodate higher current packs the high power preset is available. This will allow currents as high as 40A.

The charger is extremely flexible, allowing the user to customize all of the presets to fit individual use. If the high power preset does not do what you intend, you may customize many of the parameters to suit your application. If you think you need multiple instances of this or any other preset you may make copies and save them in unused or unnecessary preset slots.

If you do not already have the computer Charge Control Software (CCS) and the FUIM3 for connecting the PowerLab 8 to your computer I recommend you do so. Also I recommend the MPA board for parallel charging.

Glen
Feb 08, 2017, 04:50 PM
Yeah, I use the MPA board now. I like it alot, it works great..also use the CCS software with an old tablet I had..was gonna throw it out. Glad I didn't. Thanks for the info, I was just wondering if there was another way besides the High power preset. I didn't see any options in the high power one VS the regular ones, so I was wondering how it worked. Just lazy and didn't want to keep adjusting the values each time,lol.
Feb 08, 2017, 06:17 PM
Quote:
Just lazy and didn't want to keep adjusting the values each time.
Then get a Bump controller and you won't ever have to adjust anything.
http://www.usastore.revolectrix.com/...nd-Accessories

Glen
Feb 08, 2017, 07:59 PM
Quote:
Yes, it's the only way. Copy and modify the high power preset as necessary. You can easily compare the settings between the presets to see what the differences are.
Feb 08, 2017, 08:42 PM
Yeah. I haven't looked into the bump controller. Maybe I should.
Feb 09, 2017, 11:22 AM
For what it's worth the CCS software makes it real easy to copy and make custom presets configured to your battery collection. You never need to hook back up the software if you don't like after it.

I admit I have not looked into the bump controller so I am not speaking with experience but to me it's not worth it. I liken my reasoning to the Nest Thermostat. People feel the need a WiFi thermostat. Chalk that up to the internet of everything. Well last night on the news they reported home many people's computers are being hacked from these home wifi devices. So where am I coming from. When originally purchased no one knew of this hack potential. My fear is when working the bump controller makes a simple charge routine easier. But my fear is what happens if the communication goes wrong and the charge is at the wrong voltage. Maybe this can not happen but it's just not worth it to me. I don't need to be on the Bleeding Edge of Technology.
Just my 2 cents.
Feb 09, 2017, 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio AV8TOR
For what it's worth the CCS software makes it real easy to copy and make custom presets configured to your battery collection. You never need to hook back up the software if you don't like after it.

I admit I have not looked into the bump controller so I am not speaking with experience but to me it's not worth it. I liken my reasoning to the Nest Thermostat. People feel the need a WiFi thermostat. Chalk that up to the internet of everything. Well last night on the news they reported home many people's computers are being hacked from these home wifi devices. So where am I coming from. When originally purchased no one knew of this hack potential. My fear is when working the bump controller makes a simple charge routine easier. But my fear is what happens if the communication goes wrong and the charge is at the wrong voltage. Maybe this can not happen but it's just not worth it to me. I don't need to be on the Bleeding Edge of Technology.
Just my 2 cents.
I know just enough to know to never say never , .... but there are at least 4 layers of redundant checks within the Bump software which would catch any communication errors or software problems, so it really isn't any more likely to be misconfigured than just using the PowerLab itself.

And the fact that the "setup" part is only done 1 time when you setup the BumpTag, it removes most of the human error potential that exists every time you start a normal charge (manually selecting preset, adjusting charge rate, etc.).

So all in all, I'm pretty confident it isn't just a faster and more convenient solution, but also safer.
Of course I won't pretend to be unbiased, so take the word of Bump customers, not mine
Feb 09, 2017, 08:16 PM
Last edited by Ohio AV8TOR; Feb 10, 2017 at 06:48 AM.