Vintage Marblehead Resurrections - Page 5 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Mar 15, 2017, 10:09 PM

laser cutter

I hope that all is well with your laser cutter,can't wait to see the finished version of Sunwind and possibly see Riptide cut on it??? This thread is awesome !!
to remove ads between posts
Mar 16, 2017, 09:06 PM
Classic wooden RC sailboater
I've been making really good progress. The fin and rudder were laminated, shaped and fiberglassed. The frames and keel pieces are now all assembled and epoxied down. And today I added the inner sheer rails. Here are some pictures from the past week or so:

Name: IMG_2804.jpg
Views: 23
Size: 469.0 KB
Description: Name: IMG_2805.jpg
Size: 1.03 MB
Description: Name: IMG_2807.jpg
Views: 22
Size: 1.02 MB
Description: Name: IMG_2810.jpg
Size: 585.3 KB
Description: Name: IMG_2825.jpg
Size: 658.8 KB
Description: Name: IMG_2826.jpg
Size: 433.3 KB
Description: Name: IMG_2828.jpg
Size: 586.0 KB
Description:

Loads more pictures and information on my blog.
Mar 25, 2017, 10:49 AM

Planking slowly progressing

I've only been able to add about one plank per day, per side... but it's slowly coming along. Between the time it takes the epoxy to dry, and life getting in the way, it's been slow. But it's getting there!

Name: IMG_2838.jpg
Views: 24
Size: 772.1 KB
Description: Name: IMG_2839.jpg
Size: 967.0 KB
Description: Name: IMG_2847.jpg
Size: 628.6 KB
Description: Name: IMG_2851.jpg
Size: 1,013.6 KB
Description: Name: IMG_2852.jpg
Views: 25
Size: 330.3 KB
Description: Name: IMG_2854.jpg
Views: 27
Size: 1,022.8 KB
Description:
Apr 02, 2017, 09:43 AM
The planking is nearing the finish line... just about four to go on each side. Hope to be able to fair the hull, and then fiberglass it, in the next few days.

Also installed the bow piece.

Name: untitled-0001-3-2.jpg
Size: 513.9 KB
Description: Name: untitled-0004-3-2.jpg
Size: 345.8 KB
Description: Name: untitled-0004-5-2.jpg
Views: 31
Size: 260.9 KB
Description:

Many more pics and info at my blog.
Apr 02, 2017, 06:10 PM

Wow nice work !!!

Everything looks great !!! Nice work !!! Can't wait to see her glassed !!!
Apr 03, 2017, 06:13 PM
Big day today! Got the hull finished, faired, and fiberglassed!

Here are some pics from today:

Name: IMG_2871.jpg
Views: 36
Size: 842.9 KB
Description: Name: IMG_2874.jpg
Views: 30
Size: 557.9 KB
Description: Name: IMG_2879.jpg
Views: 29
Size: 478.5 KB
Description: Name: IMG_2880.jpg
Views: 45
Size: 1.15 MB
Description: Name: IMG_2881.jpg
Views: 37
Size: 510.0 KB
Description:

Will trim the excess in a few hours, then add a second coat of epoxy. I used very light 1.4 oz. cloth from ACP Composites. Works really well.

More pics at my blog. Thanks!
Apr 03, 2017, 09:08 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Per the DLG makers, they blot up excess resin with toilet tissue, as the last step before Vac molding pieces.
Does you squeegee remove enuf resin that blotting is not necessary? They are trying for minimum weight.

BP
Apr 04, 2017, 08:18 PM
bbbp... I am not as concerned about weight as I am about both aesthetics and strength. I'm really into the beauty of these boats, and want them to last for years.

My boats are not the heaviest out there, but they're not the lightest either. And since I will have the only Vintage Marblehead for about 1,000 miles, I really don't care too much as I'll never race them. In the end, when I faired the hull, some of planks got down to about 1/16", so all in all, I'm pretty sure that this boat will be reasonably light. However it won't be light enough for the racing crowd.

I really consider my boats more of an art piece than a racing boat. If someone built the same boat from my laser cut frames, and they wanted to race competitively, there are many places where they could save some weight I suppose.

Here are a couple pics from today. I filleted the garboard area in order to comply with the VM rules for the Traditional and High Flyer divisions. I also sanded the first coat of epoxy and then added a second. It will be mostly sanded off tomorrow, and I may add a third coat if needed. Again, speaking of weight, since I sand most of the second and third coats off, I will really only have one smooth coat.

Name: IMG_2889.jpg
Views: 53
Size: 777.9 KB
Description: Name: IMG_2890.jpg
Views: 43
Size: 731.7 KB
Description:
Apr 04, 2017, 09:38 PM
I like your thinking about building her for strength and beauty over lightness!! I was wondering if ,in the future you might sell your plan to others who might want to have a hull cut by one of the laser services out there?? Also I was wondering on the fillet,did you use microballoons to aid in sanding the fillet out and lastly,how did you make the epoxy have a brownish tint?? I like that,it will blend in with the wood color so much better. Thanks!!! It really looks Great !!!!!
Apr 05, 2017, 12:36 PM
Hi Vintageone,

Thanks for the comments!

Yes, in the future I hope to make the files for the laser cut frames available. I am also hoping to have a construction manual too for people who have not done this type of plank on frame building before. I made a construction maual for the Star 45 a few years ago, and now am working on a version for this type of boat. It's up to 82 pages so far!

No, I did not use microballoons on the fillet because I don't have any. Instead I used phenolic powder. It acts as a thickener too, and makes for a very nice consistency to work with. It's not that light though, and microballoons would be better. Unfortunately, it's not brown. It's actually a dark pinkish color. However, I am going to bottom paint this boat so it doesn't really matter. Wood flour, a finely ground sawdust, would actually be best. I used it when I built some Pygmy kayaks and it has a nice brownish color to it. But I am out of that too... bummer.

Thanks again!
Apr 05, 2017, 03:32 PM
To color the expoxy/glue filler used in the fillet ... Just use sawdust from SAME WOOD USED IN KEEL ... it will be a closer match than anything else - maybe lighter due to white/cloudy expoxy glue
Apr 05, 2017, 04:42 PM
slo.ca6... thanks, yes, I've done that before but have found that it's a bit too rough and doesn't fair out as well. Since I'll be using Interlux Primecote 404/414 epoxy filler later on the fin and below the topsides, I really wanted something that could be faired well.

I totally agree that using the sawdust from the cedar would be a great way to get a better color. Thanks!
Apr 06, 2017, 04:26 PM

She's Free!

She's free from the strongback! And weighs a lovely 3 lbs. 3 oz. including the fin. I'm very happy with that.

Now to grind off a few little drips on the inside, and then epoxy clear coat a few of the places that need it.

Here are some pics:

Name: untitled-0004-7-2.jpg
Size: 367.7 KB
Description: Name: untitled-0007-2.jpg
Size: 555.9 KB
Description: Name: untitled-0009-2.jpg
Views: 35
Size: 305.3 KB
Description: Name: untitled-0013-2.jpg
Size: 372.3 KB
Description: Name: untitled-0015-2.jpg
Views: 35
Size: 493.9 KB
Description:

Still a long way to go until she's sailing, but I'm really happy so far! :-)
Apr 06, 2017, 06:18 PM
Thomas Armstrong
You don't need all the stations for strenght - the hull itself is glassed, and that is more than enough. Whe you add the deck it will eb a closed shel, strong as an egg! I recommend to remove them all and add support only exactly where it is needed (mast, keel, rudder and stay). You can find several build logs on this forum to see how it is done.
Last edited by tarmstro; Apr 06, 2017 at 06:33 PM.
Apr 07, 2017, 09:31 AM
Modeler/ Historian
Absolutely stunning. The planking is superbly executed. You've given me inspiration for my next build