Vintage Marblehead Resurrections - Page 2 - RC Groups
Feb 17, 2017, 02:12 PM
Have you guys read the trials and tribulations "in constructing one of the more difficult M class hulls. " (cit.) .... ?

Interesting read.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 17, 2017, 02:44 PM
Classic wooden RC sailboater
Fun! Thanks for posting that. That essay focuses on free sailing boats, not RC, but lots to think about too.
Feb 17, 2017, 03:25 PM
Yes, free-sailing but still a Rip-Tipe nevertheless .... the RC version would just have a rudder without skeg and the mast in a slightly different position.
Feb 17, 2017, 05:16 PM
That hull was rigged for both free sailing and R/C. I gave it to Jim Linville when I could no longer launch or retrieve that heavy of a boat and he converted it to R/C. He lets me sail it at regattas. It still carries VM #1. It has sailed in NM, CA, PA, MA, CT, and Round Pond and Fleetwood in England.

Cheers,

Earl
Feb 18, 2017, 12:59 PM
I've begun the planking on my mock-up Sun Wind II. Last night I installed the outer sheer rails and let the epoxy cure. This morning I was able to fair the sheer rails and begin the planking.

I'm using 1/8" x 3/8" clear cedar that I milled myself. The edges were beveled slightly on a sander, although I could have just used the tablesaw. Cedar is very nice to work with, and so far is conforming to the hull shape well.

By the way, in the pictures of the stern, you can see what I came up with for the rudder tube. I designed a gap between two of the keel pieces, and then laminated a small piece on each side. The when dry, I simply used a 5/32" bit to expand the 1/8" width. It easily and accurately carved out the sides of the outside laminations just about 1/64" each. The 5/32" brass tube that I'll use later fit perfectly and snugly. I like it!

Name: IMG_2735.jpg
Views: 31
Size: 558.0 KB
Description: Name: IMG_2736.jpg
Views: 26
Size: 586.9 KB
Description: Name: IMG_2737.jpg
Views: 32
Size: 494.2 KB
Description: Name: IMG_2739.jpg
Views: 28
Size: 248.9 KB
Description:
Last edited by SeattleRCSailor; Feb 18, 2017 at 01:15 PM.
Feb 18, 2017, 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Boebert
That hull was rigged for both free sailing and R/C. I gave it to Jim Linville when I could no longer launch or retrieve that heavy of a boat and he converted it to R/C. He lets me sail it at regattas. It still carries VM #1. It has sailed in NM, CA, PA, MA, CT, and Round Pond and Fleetwood in England.

Cheers,

Earl
Sorry Earl, it's probably totally off topic, but are there some info or articles on the original Ted Houk (not Houlk, sorry) cold molding planking method? I have the article on your method, with veneer, but I was wondering how Ted did it (if I understood correctly that the original rip tide was cold molded).

Thanks .....
Last edited by gio06226; Feb 18, 2017 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Name correction
Feb 18, 2017, 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gio06226
Sorry Earl, it's probably totally off topic, but are there some info or articles on the original Ted Houlk cold molding planking method? I have the article on your method, with veneer, but I was wondering how Ted did it (if I understood correctly that the original rip tide was cold molded).

Thanks .....
Attached.

Cheers,

Earl
Feb 18, 2017, 07:49 PM
As usual ..... When i doubt, ask Earl !

Thank you very much .....
Feb 19, 2017, 12:40 PM

Cold Mold method with modern materials ??

Using the "Cold Molding" method outlined in Earl's Vintage Model Yacht newsletter article ... could a combination of modern materials - like "Wood Veneer Edgebanding" (see link) be used ??

http://www.edgesupplyusa.com/wood-ve...FQkoaQod1-EN_A

Could existing laser cut plank-n-frame method in combination with wood edgeband veneer work to make a hull using variation of "Cold Molding Method" ...

This suggested option would likely also need light glass cloth coverage to ensure real wood veneer hull would be leak sealed and strengthened by traditional glass cloth method used by current plank-n-frame methods.

Just curious ...
Last edited by slo.ca6; Feb 20, 2017 at 01:32 AM.
Feb 20, 2017, 12:41 PM

Planking continues

The planking is progressing alone on my mock-up Sun Wind II hull. Using clear 1/8" x 3/8" cedar. You can also see the rubber band system that I'm using for holding the planks down while curing. Works very well, and you avoid hundreds of holes in your planks. Notice the tacks along the sides and ends of the strongback.

Name: IMG_2745.jpg
Views: 47
Size: 714.5 KB
Description: Name: IMG_2743.jpg
Views: 36
Size: 770.4 KB
Description:
Feb 20, 2017, 01:50 PM
Lucky that the rubber bands is holding shape for you. When I do this I seem to make the planks curl. There is a modified clip that puts so pressure to hold the planks tight together.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/shipmod...?client=safari
Feb 20, 2017, 03:07 PM
Same theory, different concept.

I use a paperclip that slides on the "Bull Dog Clip". The length of the paperclip allows for a longer reach if needed. Paper clip just slides on and holds the plank in place, so no need to disassemble the large clip. Just clip it on the bulkhead and slide toward plank to clamp in place. Saves a lot of time and no clip assembly.
Feb 20, 2017, 03:22 PM
Dick,

Nice idea! I'll give it a try. When I've used clips before as clamps, they work well. I'll use the rubber bands too for when I need a whole lot of holding power. Any combination of clamps and holding pressure that is needed.

Steve
Feb 20, 2017, 07:38 PM

Riptide 3D Model

Last update for the long weekend... hope I'm not boring any of you!

While waiting for epoxy to cure on my Sun Wind II mock-up hull, I've finally been working on making a 3D model of the 1949 Riptide. I started with some curves that were drawn in AutoCAD by a gentleman named Roger.

After a false-start a few months ago, I now have a nice 3D model that is almost ready to create some laser cut frames.

Here's an update...

First, these are the lines that Roger made based on the original lines. I've seen the original lines that are going around the internet, and they are pretty crude. So Roger did a great job!

Name: Lines.jpg
Views: 30
Size: 201.6 KB
Description:

Then, from Roger's 2D CAD drawing, I have made a 3D model so that I could test the fit of all the parts and frames. I've also made changes to the design to make the Riptide a "High Flyer" RC sailboat. So I dropped the draft to 16" and added a spade rudder.

Here is what it now looks like...

Name: Frames.JPG
Views: 30
Size: 93.7 KB
Description:

I also built a building base for the frames to help with alignment, and to hold the frames in perfect position. The building base can be made of balsa or lite-ply.

Name: Frames and building base.JPG
Views: 32
Size: 132.4 KB
Description:

That was my President's Day weekend project... phew...
Feb 20, 2017, 10:46 PM
You triped the rudder hole parts back on post 20. You can leave a small tang of wood on the center piece and then add to ~1" blocks on the sides and still do the cool self-centering trick.

Did you take out the verticals support that connects the deck to the keel in this version? It reduces access but gives strength.