Mar 03, 2018, 08:00 PM
Classic wooden RC sailboater

Wampum Deck Progress

I've been working on the deck. So far I've covered it with a layer of 1/32" ply and then trimmed it out with mahogany on the sheer rails and the king plank. Now I'm adding the planking. The "caulking" is walnut veneer. When finished and sanded flush, the walnut will give a nice contrast against the creamy look of the Alaskan yellow cedar.

Name: IMG_1391.jpg
Views: 34
Size: 2.02 MB
Description: Name: IMG_1401.JPG
Views: 35
Size: 2.02 MB
Description: Name: IMG_1402.JPG
Views: 39
Size: 2.26 MB
Description: Name: IMG_1403.jpg
Views: 38
Size: 1.68 MB
Description:

Looks a bit sloppy right now, but it will clean up really well with the sander. About another week or ten days to go before I can sand it all down... that's the fun part!

Steve
to remove ads between posts
Mar 05, 2018, 11:54 AM
Thank you for the detailed planking pictures! It is nice to see in detail the tricks others use to do this task. And it is looking AWESOME! May I ask what glue you prefer to use?
Mar 05, 2018, 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggsDarkLighter
Thank you for the detailed planking pictures! It is nice to see in detail the tricks others use to do this task. And it is looking AWESOME! May I ask what glue you prefer to use?
Hey Biggs,

Thanks! I use epoxy exclusively. I suppose there are a few jobs where I could use Titebond II or III, but epoxy is a sure bet. I'm currently using WEST System 105/205 because I like their "mini-pumps". When building kayaks, I've had good luck with System Three. Both are great.

I should say though, that the WEST System "mini pumps" still put out a ton of epoxy. Read my blog for how to use much smaller amounts of epoxy.

Steve
Last edited by SeattleRCSailor; Mar 05, 2018 at 08:07 PM.
Mar 11, 2018, 05:25 PM

Wampum Deck Completed

Today I finished and fiberglassed the deck on the Wampum VM. I used walnut veneer as "caulking". The planks are Alaskan yellow cedar and the trim in mahogany.

These are after grinding down the deck with 60 grit paper on my random orbital sander.

Name: IMG_1424.jpg
Views: 27
Size: 1.70 MB
Description: Name: IMG_1425.jpg
Views: 24
Size: 1.85 MB
Description:

These are after fiberglassing.

Name: IMG_1430.jpg
Views: 25
Size: 1.75 MB
Description: Name: IMG_1431.jpg
Views: 33
Size: 2.50 MB
Description: Name: IMG_1432.jpg
Views: 33
Size: 2.80 MB
Description:

Hopefully launching by May!

Steve
Mar 18, 2018, 06:30 PM

Wampum Color Coats on Hull

This weekend I've added the color coat to the hull, and then added a couple coats of clear epoxy paint. I'm using Klass Kote paints. Nice stuff. White bottom paint, and clear topsides to show the cedar strips.

Name: IMG_1514.JPG
Size: 2.50 MB
Description: Name: IMG_1513.jpg
Size: 1.99 MB
Description: Name: IMG_1519.jpg
Size: 1.18 MB
Description:

For this boat, instead of varnish on top of the paint, I thought I'd try my hand at two-part spray urethane. I just ordered a clear urethane kit from Klass Kote. We'll see how it turns out in a couple weeks after it arrives. It has UV protection, and sounds like it may be easier than varnish to get a gloss coat. Fingers crossed that it works out!

Steve
Mar 18, 2018, 07:52 PM
Looking SWEET Steve ...

Hoping to soon see photos of her completed and rigid ... and on the water under way ...

Does she have name yet ??

REALLY LOOKING GREAT !!
Mar 22, 2018, 07:23 PM
After a few more coats of clear Klass Kote epoxy. Now waiting for the final round... clear two-part urethane that I'll spray on next week.

Name: IMG_1538.jpg
Size: 2.51 MB
Description: Name: IMG_1540.jpg
Views: 29
Size: 2.48 MB
Description: Name: IMG_1541.jpg
Views: 37
Size: 1.11 MB
Description:

Name: IMG_1542.jpg
Size: 2.11 MB
Description: Name: IMG_1543-1.jpg
Views: 32
Size: 1.42 MB
Description:

These are the first pics I've shown of the new rudder design. It's in keeping with the 1933 Wampum II design but slightly larger. The deck has only been fiberglassed and sanded... no finish yet on the deck.

Steve
Apr 05, 2018, 08:32 AM
Hey Steve ...

Hoping to soon see photos of her rigid and on the water under way ...

REALLY LOOKING GREAT !!
Apr 15, 2018, 01:58 PM

Wampum VM Maiden Sail!

Just had a perfect maiden sail with the new Wampum VM! It's a resurrected design from 1933. Originally called the Wampum II. I had to make some changes for RC, and the rudder is slightly larger.

She sailed wonderfully! I hardly had to make any adjustments (unlike my maiden sail with the Sun Wind HF). Has just a perfect amount of weather-helm. It's a full keel boat with a skeg rudder, so it doesn't have the sharp, quick tacks like the Sun Wind HF (or other modern boats with fin keels), but sails very gracefully. Seems to do well in light winds, but didn't seem as tender as I thought she would be (which is good).

Here is a YouTube video of it.

Name: IMG_1707.jpg
Views: 48
Size: 1.62 MB
Description: Name: IMG_1655.jpg
Views: 45
Size: 1.37 MB
Description: Name: IMG_1692.jpg
Views: 47
Size: 1.05 MB
Description: Name: IMG_1702-1.jpg
Views: 40
Size: 1.54 MB
Description:

Laser cut frames are available. Contact me or see my build blog at www.rcmodelyachts.com for more information.

Hope you like it!

Steve
Jun 20, 2018, 08:45 AM
Suspended Account
beautiful boat and good build
Jul 31, 2018, 06:09 PM

Rip Tide Frames

I've now made available the new Rip Tide frames with a 13" fin. Contact National Balsa for a set. They quoted $223. It includes the laser cut frames, the fin layers, the rudder, and a building board that you can glue to your strongback to keep the frames perfectly aligned.
Aug 04, 2018, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the heads up on Riptide short kit. The Wampum looks awesome, great deck work !!!!

Quick Reply