This thread is privately moderated by velez, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 07, 2017, 02:25 PM
Rgietsered Uesr
Thread OP
New Product

Colombian Carbon Co. - 5" Middleman

This is a frame Iīve been working on for the last months.

A few teaser pics:
Last edited by velez; Feb 07, 2017 at 03:35 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 17, 2017, 11:44 AM
When is the US warehouse shipping them out?
May 17, 2017, 08:38 PM
Was expecting the stock order to arrive today, but looks like tomorrow now. So will start shipping orders tomorrow!!

https://www.colombiancarbon.us/
May 21, 2017, 12:34 PM
Is the motor guard shorter?

May 21, 2017, 04:57 PM
Rgietsered Uesr
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs3xr_fun
Is the motor guard shorter?

Hi.

Yes. We made the motor guard a bit shorter.

After testing various arm designs, we concluded that the longer motor guard provided a lever that increased the chances of the arm breaking at the motor mount center hole (The hole for the c-clip or retainer screw).

We finally settled with the design that you received, which is 4mm shorter than the one I posted back in February. That design still provides protection against situations like "cart wheelings" and will most likely increase the life span of the arms.
May 21, 2017, 07:56 PM

Here some pictures of the finalized design

Very little has been changed since the original design pics in the first thread. However some small changes were made after testing, as Carlos has mentioned. Below are some pics of production frames I've mocked up, as well as some completed builds.
May 30, 2017, 03:41 PM
My first lightweight. 250g without battery. Did crash into a pole coming out of a turn so I wasn't on full throttle. Arm didn't break, can't say the same with the battery strap. I did manage to delaminate the arm tip. Not a scratch on the motor ����. I reckon with these arms and fairly light motors, it will survive several crash with some battle scar but it won't snap at the first chance.
May 30, 2017, 03:48 PM
Rgietsered Uesr
Thread OP
Thatīs an interesting and new way to build that frame. Bravo sir!

Had never thought of that and Iīve built dozens so far.

How much does it weight with two top plates and those three long standoffs?
May 30, 2017, 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by velez
Thatīs an interesting and new way to build that frame. Bravo sir!

Had never thought of that and Iīve built dozens so far.

How much does it weight with two top plates and those three long standoffs?
I actually didn't weight the just the frame itself. Draw back is that the Runcam micro is on a fix angle. I opted for the 3 standoff because I wanted to have the FC on bobbins. Thought about the raceflight style softmounting but I ruined an FC before, enlarging the hole to fit those rubber. I also want the camera to have more protection.
Last edited by gs3xr_fun; May 30, 2017 at 05:42 PM.
May 30, 2017, 05:15 PM
Certainly lighter than I've been able to get one by 20-30g? I may have to try something similar, NICE build!!
May 30, 2017, 05:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cturn
Certainly lighter than I've been able to get one by 20-30g? I may have to try something similar, NICE build!!
Thank you for getting me the extra top plates to come with my order. You must have been wondering why I insisted on getting extra regular top plate. I do wonder if the sma holder don't come with the kit anymore.

These are really light motor so I won't be running the DAL5050 on these =\. Have yet to try the Gemfan5152.
Last edited by gs3xr_fun; May 30, 2017 at 05:54 PM.
Jun 14, 2017, 02:33 AM
another way to get them FC on bobbins. looks rough because I can only do so much with a dremel.

Quick Reply