Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales

Super Bowl Drones!

You know RC has hit the big time when Super Bowl Sunday's half time show involves a horde of drones!

Splash

Super Bowl Sunday Featured Drones During the Half Time Show

Prior to the Super Bowl Sunday many of my non RC friends made sure to let me know that Lady Gaga would be using drones in her half time show. Part of me thought this was great and another thought they might damage the hobby in just a few minutes if something went wrong. Come to find out the drone segment was recorded in advance of the actual game.

The 300 drones were from Intel. The company worked with Lady Gaga and supplied the 280-gram quadcopters. The quads can create more than 4 billion color combinations. The drones were used to create a red and blue moving star formation, an American flag and a Pepsi logo.

Super Bowl Lady Gaga 2017 Drones only video (0 min 54 sec)

Josh Walden of Intel’s New Technology Group, said:

“Lady Gaga and the Super Bowl creative team wanted to pull off something that had never been done before and we were able to combine Intel drone innovation with her artistry to pull off a truly unique experience. The potential for these light show drones is endless and we hope this experience inspires other creatives, artists and innovators to really think about how they can incorporate drone technology in new ways that have yet to even be thought of.”

"This is the first time drones have been used in a halftime show. Disney used similar technology to fly 300 drones simultaneously every night this winter in Orlando for a holiday-themed light show. Intel unveiled its Shooting Star quadcopter in November. It is designed specifically to fly with hundreds of other drones at once, all controlled by a single operator."

Shooting Star Intel

Shooting Stars weigh less than a pound and hundreds can be choreographed to create aerial animations in the night sky. The drones can reach speeds of 22 MPH.

FAA

On Wednesday, the Federal Aviation Administration declared a 34.5 mile radius surrounding the NRG Stadium a “No Drone Zone” on game day to avoid safety risks. The flight restrictions are only in effect from 4 pm to 11:59 pm on Sunday.

Awesome

The good news is this endeavor was a success and brought greater awareness to our hobby and may have added more "cool" factor to the operation of "drones."

Feb 06, 2017, 01:00 PM
I just wanna fly, fly, fly
FYI: There's an excellent thread in Model Aircraft & Drone Advocacy forum discussing the technology and regulatory questions. Of note, the drone swarm was pre-recorded several days before Super Bowl Sunday. So this was not a live performance, and there was no exemption to or violation of the TFR.
Feb 06, 2017, 07:38 PM
As a die hard Falcons fan, the drones were the best part of the game
Feb 06, 2017, 09:41 PM
Permanently Banned
Except the pick-6
Feb 07, 2017, 08:00 AM
Yeah that was good too. But unfortunately it didn't matter in the end. This game is going to hurt for a looooong time
Feb 07, 2017, 09:13 PM
Permanently Banned
This year has been about comebacks. Cavs, Cubs, now Deflatriots....\
Back on topic, I do applaud the development which went into choreographing the performance.
Feb 08, 2017, 09:25 AM
Being a Pats fan, the game ended up just great! First half sucked. I wasn't impressed by the half time show.
Feb 09, 2017, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere
Being a Pats fan, the game ended up just great! First half sucked. I wasn't impressed by the half time show.
It's impossible to make everyone happy all the time. It's part of life.
Feb 11, 2017, 08:07 AM
It's great! I am a fan of new technology in the showbizness
Feb 13, 2017, 10:41 PM
Hates crosswinds
"On Wednesday, the Federal Aviation Administration declared a 34.5 mile radius surrounding the NRG Stadium a “No Drone Zone” on game day to avoid safety risks. "

34.5 miles!? That sounds a little ludicrous to me.

I was wondering while watching that if they had some sort of special permission to fly near the stadium or if it was pre-recorded.
Feb 14, 2017, 08:05 AM
What goes up, hopefully lands!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilphill66
"On Wednesday, the Federal Aviation Administration declared a 34.5 mile radius surrounding the NRG Stadium a “No Drone Zone” on game day to avoid safety risks. "

34.5 miles!? That sounds a little ludicrous to me.

I was wondering while watching that if they had some sort of special permission to fly near the stadium or if it was pre-recorded.
You might want to read the thread. I mean really 10 posts???? Might want to just read the #2 post.
Feb 14, 2017, 07:48 PM
Hates crosswinds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repaid1
You might want to read the thread. I mean really 10 posts???? Might want to just read the #2 post.
I did, and what I said was that "I WAS WONDERING WHILE WATCHING THAT". What I meant by that (which you clearly didn't interpret when you read my post) was that this answered my questions that I had as I was watching the halftime show.

I understand that how I worded my post wasn't exactly clear.
Last edited by lilphill66; Feb 14, 2017 at 08:04 PM.
Feb 18, 2017, 11:44 PM
Intermediate Multi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainstorm
............Of note, the drone swarm was pre-recorded several days before Super Bowl Sunday.............
Luckily for us, so were her vocals.
Feb 19, 2017, 12:19 PM
They were? I haven't heard that^^
Feb 19, 2017, 12:48 PM
What goes up, hopefully lands!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilphill66
I did, and what I said was that "I WAS WONDERING WHILE WATCHING THAT". What I meant by that (which you clearly didn't interpret when you read my post) was that this answered my questions that I had as I was watching the halftime show.

I understand that how I worded my post wasn't exactly clear.
Sorry, I did reread what you wrote and I see what you said...So how goes it in Ohio, I moved down here 3 months ago and sure miss the buckeye state...GO BUCKS...didn't help when the local team down here smoked us for the playoffs.