Feb 05, 2017, 10:28 PM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
Thread OP
Discussion

KST DS and MS series - Is there a programmer available?

I am experiencing some "variance" between KST servos and it appears they might have different deadband programming - as the centering is totally different (but exact) on 2 and different (and exact) on another 2 - It was suggested these may have had different programming so i thought I would ask if any of you know of a programmer for KST servos ?
to remove ads between posts
Feb 07, 2017, 01:29 AM
KST has not released a programmer yet as far as I know.
Feb 09, 2017, 02:25 AM
Thread OP
Thx Thomas - I guess these will all have to go back to aloft then.
Feb 10, 2017, 03:30 AM
I do wish they would release it though... I can't think of so many uses. I guess they are worried that people might mess something up (somehow) and blame it on the servo.
Feb 10, 2017, 03:40 AM
F3B
what symptoms do you get?

I don't understand - you can move the servo horn and use sub trim.
Feb 10, 2017, 07:07 AM
Thread OP
They are double centering - I can get the servo to move back to center when I move the servo one direction - but when moving the other direction it is off by a lot. You are going to be chasing your trim all flight... I tested it with 3 different model setups - and 4 radios with three of them being hall sensor Gimbals. The Gimbals are coming back to the exact Us position each time - but the servo is random on its return each time left stick inputs are used.

I tried it with a simple 4 input model without mixes to avoid any radio template issues too -
Feb 12, 2017, 09:44 PM
I think your servos are defective !!
Feb 12, 2017, 10:30 PM
I just put MS325s in two planes. They all center perfectly. I have them on the Ailerons (in both planes) and on the Rudder in one.

Maybe you got a bad batch?
Apr 09, 2018, 11:58 AM
I have MS325s in a 52 EF Slick and found with the subtrim at zero the spline change always is either left or right of vertical. Okay no problem and fixed with subtrim. I plan on installing a Aura gyro in this plane and Aura wants zero subtrim so I just started looking for a programmer and came across this thread.
Apr 09, 2018, 01:42 PM
Apparently my gyro has subtrim that you can program via software so I am good and not needing a servo programmer.
Jan 21, 2021, 11:45 PM
Pots have tolerance variance from unit to unit and require calibration for anything that uses them to behave identically to other units. For example Xbox controllers are calibrated at the factory to center the sticks and set consistent joystick throws. I suspect that some servo makers may not calibrate their servos.

I've noticed that KST servos of the same model sometimes have different centering or even a few % different throw amounts. I have a set of MS2208s that are like this, one of them has a few % more throw than the others. Could be is is a different minor revision of the same servo possibly with updated firmware or a different hall sensor. The speed seems identical, it just travels slightly more for the same pulse width than the others. I put it on elevator and the other two on aileron (this is a 700 size helicopter) and adjusted for the throw difference in the gyro and it functions exactly like the other two, the swashplate stays perfectly level when moved up and down the mainshaft. However the gyro setup has a +/- throw limit set to 131 while the matching elevator throw limit is 112.

Quick Reply