Feb 05, 2017, 11:49 AM
John
Thread OP
Discussion

Losi SCTE 3.0

I picked up my SCTE 3.0 kit yesterday from LHS and it's a rather nice kit, it's up there with my 1/8 Xray 808E kit. I'm installing the Tekin DX8 gen 2 ESC along with a Pro4 HD 4300kv. I also purchased some RR extra hard pinion gears in 14T, 15T, and 16T to see which one I'll like the best with this set up. I'll be using it on the local indoor carpet track.
Last night I built the front diff and A-arm/ knuckle assembly. The I.P.B. is very good, but the numbering system that coincides with the physical parts bag is off. This no big deal because the I.P.B. photos are good enough to show you how to assemble the kit, so I won't hold it against LOSI, but it might confuse a first time builder.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 05, 2017, 12:23 PM
Fan of just about anything RC
Are you going to expand this thread to a review? Could be interesting for future owners of this kit.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Feb 05, 2017, 12:53 PM
John
Thread OP
I hadn't thought about it, just throwing out my excitement of a new kit. Do you have this kit?
Feb 05, 2017, 02:32 PM
Fan of just about anything RC
Nope, and I am more of a "buggy guy" than into trucks. But I am always interested in learning about new cars, and I am sure I am not the only one. And personal experience from people that have a kit, is worth more than product info from the manufacturer.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Feb 05, 2017, 02:36 PM
Suspended Account
4300kv is out of many required kv range for that sc 4x4..id check.. i am only allowed to run 3500kv or 5;5t or more in T amount less in kv.. i have this scte..v3,..do you like the new battery bay or way its held down..
Feb 06, 2017, 08:30 AM
Did I make the A Main?
Not too many folks running Losi SCTE's in my area, most are running Tekno SCT410's (myself included) ... one of the biggest complaints are Losi parts wearing out more quickly, especially the steering system generating tons of slop within a few race days... I'd be curious to learn if the 3.0 has improved upon the quality of plastic any? I believe Tekno uses different blends of plastic so not to get slop... I currently race the Losi 22-3.0 and it's got a lot of slop suggesting they haven't been making any changes yet.
Feb 06, 2017, 10:06 AM
John
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcdog69
4300kv is out of many required kv range for that sc 4x4..id check.. i am only allowed to run 3500kv or 5;5t or more in T amount less in kv.. i have this scte..v3,..do you like the new battery bay or way its held down..
It looks nice, but I've only assembled the front end so far.
Feb 06, 2017, 10:08 AM
John
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_delong
Not too many folks running Losi SCTE's in my area, most are running Tekno SCT410's (myself included) ... one of the biggest complaints are Losi parts wearing out more quickly, especially the steering system generating tons of slop within a few race days... I'd be curious to learn if the 3.0 has improved upon the quality of plastic any? I believe Tekno uses different blends of plastic so not to get slop... I currently race the Losi 22-3.0 and it's got a lot of slop suggesting they haven't been making any changes yet.
where are you developing slop? in the control linkage? ball links?
Feb 06, 2017, 11:17 AM
Suspended Account
i have been racing the losi v1 since 2nd day after out to public ..never had a mm of slope.. i run from 21 second laps to over 56 second laps.. hard 36" table top jumps. ... not ones tekno can hold up by me..around the north eastern USA no one carries parts online only.. only thing i have replaced is center diff gear dont like plastic there went with stainless ..a machine shop near me made me a few 12 .7 still in parts bags..5 are on 5 of my sct.. i have trucks setup for different tracks. within 45 minute drive i have 5 indoors to pick from..
Feb 06, 2017, 11:53 AM
Did I make the A Main?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk6672
where are you developing slop? in the control linkage? ball links?
pretty much everywhere... some folks are upgrading to aluminum steering racks and swapping ball links out from other brands on the 1/10 buggies, most who continue to run the Losi's locally don't really care about the slop and don't feel it hinders performance on the track. I tend to agree that's it's relatively nominal, but just more of an annoyance more than anything.
Feb 06, 2017, 03:57 PM
My buddy who runs losi claims that he read somewhere that losi said the slop in the steering is intentional. If I remember correctly the quote was "loose is fast"
Personally I doubt that. I just sold my only losi car after enjoying it for 3 years. It was good, but not without its issues, just like any other car out there.
Feb 06, 2017, 04:06 PM
John
Thread OP
There is a difference between slop and move freely. I fly planes also and when assembling pushrods and ball links I always squeeze the head of the ball link in between players so the ball moves as freely as possible and there is no binding in the linkange.
Feb 06, 2017, 04:33 PM
Suspended Account
plastic to plastic always developed slop.. but as someone said cheap losi plastic i dont think so..only part i broke was a A arm cuz i had a wot collision with a steel pole 1st run on truck,,i have switched a few screws that where 3mm to 4mm..just dont think a rc traveling at 45mph should relay on a 3mm screw when with a few seconds of work it can be 4mm..
Feb 06, 2017, 04:43 PM
Did I make the A Main?
it's not a matter of Losi plastic being cheap, they seem to use the same blend of plastic throughout the kit where brands like Tekno and XRay will use a harder reinforced fiber blend plastic for their linkage assemblies where it takes a significantly longer amount of time before they start to generate slop. My Tekno is 3+ years old and I'm still running the original links... and the slop is still very minimal... now compare it with a Losi after a few race days and the Losi will already have more slop than my ancient Tekno.

Performance/Durability are still about a wash... it's just a fit and finish sort of thing. Out drives also tend to wear more quickly and most Losi owners will buy Tekno upgrades for drive line parts to get longer wear life. I'm still running the original out drives on my Tekno, only metal parts I've had to replace so far are the pins of my drive shafts
Last edited by bill_delong; Feb 06, 2017 at 04:50 PM.
Feb 06, 2017, 05:13 PM
Have you seen my LVC?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vujkovicv
My buddy who runs losi claims that he read somewhere that losi said the slop in the steering is intentional. If I remember correctly the quote was "loose is fast"
Personally I doubt that. I just sold my only losi car after enjoying it for 3 years. It was good, but not without its issues, just like any other car out there.
I think that racing quote is referencing handling, not slop in the steering...

"Loose" = a bit of over steer, gotta watch the tail to keep from over-rotating.
"Tight" = understeer / push - the front does not want to turn when entering a corner / car does not want to rotate.
Last edited by JerryRigged; Feb 07, 2017 at 09:07 AM.

Quick Reply