EDF Air Boat - Page 2 - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by tim.fuggdesign, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 21, 2017, 05:12 PM

Sponson finishing

Final bracing added and sponsons deck and transom fitted. Finishing touches required. Mock layup to give a feel.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 29, 2017, 07:05 AM

Sponsons finished

Both Sponsons are now finished, hopefully the dipped leading edge will help reduce lift
Nov 29, 2017, 07:16 AM

Rudder servo installed

2mm carbon rod used and a 9mm servo. Keeping the servo light as it'll only be used for slow speed maneuvers and high speed tracking so the loads will be low.

End points reduced to allow for bellow and also 50% expo added to aid high speed small adjustments. Will go from there.
Nov 29, 2017, 07:31 AM

Main hull internals

Working out how best to lay out all the electronics. Cog is pretty bang on wherein wanted but I've allowed some room for the batteries to move for and aft to allow for cog changes. It's pretty tight in there, I hope I have my displacement calcs right!!
Dec 04, 2017, 08:08 AM

Sponson revisions

Looking at the sponsons and doing some further research I have decided the sponson decks should have an increased angle of attack to counter blow overs. The front wing should help add stability and the revised sponsons counter either sponson wanting to raise or flip along the boats length
Dec 04, 2017, 06:30 PM

Rear decking

After much musing I have decided to make the rear deck semi permanent. The rear will be screwed down to the hull with hex key button head self tapping screws (2mm x10mm) then I shall paint over the panel join and mask off the screw heads. Should I need to access the esc or rudder servo I will just need to break the seal formed by the paint.
Dec 04, 2017, 06:34 PM

Rough Mock up of fan

I was bored
Dec 05, 2017, 06:07 PM

Motor mounting

I was working out how to best mount the motor and got a little carried away.

I know I shouldn't do such things but if makes any difference I did have my MX goggles on
Last edited by tim.fuggdesign; Dec 05, 2017 at 06:32 PM.
Dec 05, 2017, 06:08 PM

Test one. Box of tools and some books. About 7 kg

Just under 50% throttle before movement

What can the fan push test 1 (0 min 21 sec)
Last edited by tim.fuggdesign; Dec 05, 2017 at 06:24 PM.
Dec 05, 2017, 06:09 PM

Test two. A big box full of old photos I really need it sort out, about 12kg

Just over 50 % gas

What can the fan push test 2 (0 min 11 sec)
Last edited by tim.fuggdesign; Dec 05, 2017 at 06:19 PM.
Dec 05, 2017, 06:15 PM

Test 3 box of old photos plus tools, I don't know how much this weighs tbh. A lot

If you look closely just before I kill it it moves about 5mm , table was also staring to lean over. I'm satisfied with my extremely scientific testing that we have enough shove!!

What can the fan push test 3 (0 min 14 sec)
Dec 05, 2017, 06:21 PM

Science!

All very precise and totally safe
Dec 11, 2017, 10:41 AM

Thrust tests

Rigged the set up to my digital scales and in the highest timing of 26.25 degrees I have achieved a maximum thrust of 3.23 kg on 22.2 volts. (1800 mah 130c ) I'm really impressed with this fan however run times will limited to two full throttle passes.

Results

18.75 degrees = 2.91kg
22.50 degrees = 3.17kg
26.25 degrees = 3.23 kg

Pics of the set up below
Dec 11, 2017, 05:57 PM

Superstructure mock up

Fan is installed and the superstructure to help prevent water ingress into the fan and support the rear wing mocked up for size.