The RCGroups Podcast - Featuring Stuart from HobbyKing - RC Groups

The RCGroups Podcast - Featuring Stuart from HobbyKing

Join the RCGroups editors as we discuss current events in radio control. We are joined by a special guest this week as well!

Splash

Podcast 58!

Join the RCGroups team as we discuss life and RC. This week we are joined by Stuart from HobbyKing. You might know Stuart as the designer of the Tundra, a plane loved by many RCG users.

Podcast Topics:

Listen or Watch!

You can download the podcast by clicking here.

Or you can watch the podcast:

RCGroups Live! Stuart from HobbyKing, Headplay SE, Durafly EFXtra and More! (1 hr 11 min 57 sec)

Feb 03, 2017, 04:04 PM
DFS#000178
The Cub looks like a repaint of the Starmax 1400mm Cub.

Not that that's a bad thing. That's a fantastic airplane and that repaint is flipping gorgeous.
Feb 03, 2017, 04:18 PM
Qualified
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage

Not that that's a bad thing. That's a fantastic airplane and that repaint is flipping gorgeous.
And in their videos you can put an FPV system inside just like your flying it!
Feb 03, 2017, 04:30 PM
Administrator
I'm getting the Cub to review with a pan and tilt unit. I'm very excited!
Feb 03, 2017, 04:34 PM
DFS#000178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. Graham
I'm getting to Cub to review with a pan and title unit. I'm very excited!
Nice!

I wonder if they did anything to strengthen the landing gear. That was my only gripe, how easily the scale gear broke. The gear has 2 thick metal wires and then the covers are glued on and the center suspension is glued to those with the springs tying them together. Unfortunately the plastic suspension braces were really brittle and a lot of guys broke them on their first flights. lol.
Feb 03, 2017, 04:37 PM
Qualified
Quote:
Nice!

I wonder if they did anything to strengthen the landing gear. That was my only gripe, how easily the scale gear broke. The gear has 2 thick metal wires and then the covers are glued on and the center suspension is glued to those with the springs tying them together. Unfortunately the plastic suspension braces were really brittle and a lot of guys broke them on their first flights. lol.
I have a handful of flights on mine with nothing broken yet. It seems to be good, even bounced one landing pretty well :/ and all was well
Feb 03, 2017, 06:11 PM
Post-Apocalyptic Tactical Cons
Quote:
Nice!

I have three of the L-4 Cubs and made this setup that works great...
Feb 03, 2017, 06:16 PM
Administrator
Where did you get that aluminum piece? Did you cut it yourself?
Feb 04, 2017, 08:18 AM
Lou
Lou
#define answer_universe 42
Nice pod cast guys. Glad to hear the comment about moderation and site rules as I think too many people do not 'get' how it works.

The change management comments are interesting. My company changed its logo about 2 years ago ... to the angst of the employees, customers and market people. Today that angst is still there in all those groups. We have lost business and chasing the latest Google trend in order to stay 'relevant' to a new crowd of people did not pay off.

Looking at the competition for RCG and it is really light. There is only one strong contender and its site layout and colours, while trendy, are washed out and unappealing. RCG has found a fairly decent color and layout and it seems to work well.
Feb 04, 2017, 08:35 AM
Post-Apocalyptic Tactical Cons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. Graham
Where did you get that aluminum piece? Did you cut it yourself?
Yes, I sheared it out of some scrap aircraft aluminum I picked up on eBay (window cut-outs), then used a metal break to put the bends in. The wheels are 4" Robarts.
Feb 04, 2017, 02:41 PM
Closed Account
Quote:

Sure looks to be the same one alright. I still have my green one, flies nice.
Feb 04, 2017, 09:47 PM
Navy colors look really good on it. Best scheme I've seen yet. If I build another, it will definitely have to go with those colors.
Feb 05, 2017, 02:15 PM
Closed Account
Dragon hobby USA still sells both colors under their own name, but they are the same thing. They have both available on floats and they sell a float set as well. They don't look very scale, but I assume they float!
Feb 05, 2017, 10:37 PM
Since Stewart said the Cub is a new version of the Cub they have carried in the past, I think it is safe t say it is the Starmax plane. I have had two of them, they are good flying planes. The landing gear is okay as long as your landings are gentle. Mine has held up okay and I fly from grass, but it wouldn't take much to break some of the plastic components of the landing gear.

As far as the new paint scheme goes, I like it better than the green L-4 version because the green house is incorrect for the green military version. However, the Navy did have a few with the standard window arrangement, which is why I painted mine in the Navy scheme a while back. It is rare that I get to be ahead of the curve on anything;-)

Jim
Feb 26, 2017, 11:45 PM
AA6JB
Wow ... she is indeed a looker! Lots of detail in this Cub!