Feb 03, 2017, 11:50 AM
LJH
LJH
Moths do not fly inverted
Thread OP
Discussion

Newbie question on my first bagged wing

Warning.....total Newbie alert.....

So I recently bought a vacuum pump.....Thinking I got a great deal on a Gast 1HAB-25-M100X that looks new for $100 delivered. I bought this as I have a couple full scale boat projects coming up and want to try bagging the repairs this time.

With that said a secondary reason for buying the pump is to build some RC stuff with it. I have done a lot of reading and watching of videos and thinking my first project will be a replacement wing for my old and very tired CSD Twister which is a SP400 Pylon plane with a 34" span. After many crashes and repairs, not to mention running to many brushless watts through her the wing has seen better days. The skins have delamed, there are signs of compression failures etc. so I figured this will be a good project to get my feet wet but I have a few questions.

First off who would be good to use for the cores? The wing is pretty simple, as I mentioned it spans 34" and utilizes a MH34 foil. In doing some research it seems this is still a pretty popular foil for small fast planes and as far as the flying qualities it works for me for a sport plane. The original wing is blue foam.

For a spar I have a spool of 1/2" uni carbon that I am thinking of using both top and bottom as well as trying my hand at doing a carbon leading edge. I have a roll of carbon tape that I do not know the weight of, I have used to make up control horns and 4-5 layers of it laminated together and then "pressed" gives me about 1/16" thickness and it surprisingly stiff when cured. In all the videos I see they use all the cloths on the bias. Can I take the tape and pull on opposite corners (diagonally) to make it biased? Playing with this seems to produce the same pattern as it would be if I cut it on the bias.

What weight glass would you recommend to glass the entire wing?

Lastly, does anyone have a link on how to do Kevlar/peelply hinges? I have searched and read but I have not found a step by step account on how to do it. Also what weight Kevlar would be good for doing hinges.

If this works out well I want to try a composite wing for my Windancer 2M ALES glider.

Thanks all.

Cheers,
Jim
to remove ads between posts
Feb 04, 2017, 07:25 AM
I've only advanced as far as bagging some test-pieces but what little I know I've learnt from the instructional videos that Curtis Suter has made and sells. In my opinion they are excellent, and he shows -- among many other things -- both how to make kevlar hinges and how to embed carbon spars in the core.

You find the videos at TailwindGliders. I've bought all three of them and I think they are well worth the money (I think they have saved me a lot of money in reduced scrap when learning, as well as saved me from a lot of !#@%&)

Quick Reply