Oct 12, 2017, 07:43 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
I've put a dozen cycles through my two silicone graphene standard voltage packs now. Very impressive. These are just 3s 2200 packs but IR matches are close averaging 5miliohms per cell at 62 degrees F.. Lower IR than any other 3s 2200 pack I've owned. Thanks Rocks, this more than makes up for the G6 dud pack with ridiculously high IR ( 40-50mOH) after just a few cycles and that was a 3S 5200 pack. My confidence in Hyperion has been restored
Last edited by tic; Oct 16, 2017 at 09:06 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 12, 2017, 09:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionRocks
The base weight of this battery is 654grams, our batteries typically vary by 1~2% difference in weight and size. So 654grams * 2% = a total variation of 13 grams, so you're about 1.5% difference with a 10 gram variation.

This is normal, the reason it's noticeable is because this is a larger configuration battery pack, so just 1~2 grams extra per cell adds up. It's hard to see the weight variation regarding smaller lipo batteries because less cells and smaller.

Do note, that all cells are matched for similar mAh capacity output and internal resistance.
Ok thanks, can't wait to put them to the test on Saturday!!! BTW how many cycles do you think I need before going full bore???
Oct 13, 2017, 09:53 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcflyer
Ok thanks, can't wait to put them to the test on Saturday!!! BTW how many cycles do you think I need before going full bore???
Haha this is a trick question... Some people say it doesn't matter, some say cycle it 2~3+/- times before flying @ 1~2C... I personally don't think you have to, but it wouldn't hurt..

I say just go for a couple of short flights, 3~4 minutes or so, and try to land with a higher than normal voltage (50~70%) capacity, you can burst , just not for too long (10~15s), the whole point is to not make the packs too hot and straining/over-discharged during this phase. In my opinion, until about 3~5+ cycles out then you can the treat the battery how you want to.

The most important thing is to store the battery at 3.7v, and don't over-discharge <3.2v.

Here's some pointers on our website here: https://hyperion-world.com/en/blog/v...ymer-batteries
Last edited by HyperionRocks; Oct 13, 2017 at 10:01 PM.
Oct 16, 2017, 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionRocks
Haha this is a trick question... Some people say it doesn't matter, some say cycle it 2~3+/- times before flying @ 1~2C... I personally don't think you have to, but it wouldn't hurt..

I say just go for a couple of short flights, 3~4 minutes or so, and try to land with a higher than normal voltage (50~70%) capacity, you can burst , just not for too long (10~15s), the whole point is to not make the packs too hot and straining/over-discharged during this phase. In my opinion, until about 3~5+ cycles out then you can the treat the battery how you want to.

The most important thing is to store the battery at 3.7v, and don't over-discharge <3.2v.

Here's some pointers on our website here: https://hyperion-world.com/en/blog/v...ymer-batteries
Ok Rocks,
Thanks for the info, here is an update: First I am not using these packs in my helis, I am using them for drag racing my 1/5 scale flux at 132'.
Now that's with a 2028 800kv motor pushing a 25Lbs. car, I put 8 break in cycles on them first went to races this weekend and these packs were awesome to this point!!!
They delivered the power I needed all day enough for over 10 passes at full bore, and they came home with almost 80% left in the tank!!!
If these packs continue to produce like this I will never buy another brand!!! I will update more after the next racing day!!!

jc
Oct 16, 2017, 06:27 PM

These might be just what I need.... but

The G7 High voltage of 4.35 is a concern.( two reasons)
1. I am flying two 5s batteries ( in series) for 10s on my pattern plane. .15v ( extra per cell) x 10 means 1.5 volts more. Is this ok?

2. I just bought an ICHARGER 4010 duo. I can not figure out how to up the voltage( to 4.35 instead of the customary 4.2), or if it will even be capable of that?

What do y'all think?
Oct 16, 2017, 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasperwing
The G7 High voltage of 4.35 is a concern.( two reasons)
1. I am flying two 5s batteries ( in series) for 10s on my pattern plane. .15v ( extra per cell) x 10 means 1.5 volts more. Is this ok?

2. I just bought an ICHARGER 4010 duo. I can not figure out how to up the voltage( to 4.35 instead of the customary 4.2), or if it will even be capable of that?

What do y'all think?
I have this charger and it does anything from 4.2 to 4.35. THe latest firmware as a subset for hv batteries all ready programmed or it is in the options menu. I run 8s esc with hv batteries with no problem. the resting volts after charge is 4.3 and amps are move important than volts. Just check the number of beeps that esc makes so the cell count is correct. Great charger, just the programming stinks. Once programmed it is easy
Oct 16, 2017, 07:58 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
I fly 10s with my F5B plane but unfortunately there are no 5s 1800 G7 SiHV packs being made or I'd solder up a 10s pack in a heartbeat. In my set up it would handle the extra voltage no problem. Depends how close to the edge you are on your setup Kasperwing
Oct 16, 2017, 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by paracanary
I have this charger and it does anything from 4.2 to 4.35. THe latest firmware as a subset for hv batteries all ready programmed or it is in the options menu. I run 8s esc with hv batteries with no problem. the resting volts after charge is 4.3 and amps are move important than volts. Just check the number of beeps that esc makes so the cell count is correct. Great charger, just the programming stinks. Once programmed it is easy
Can you tell me where to find the path to changing voltage from 4.2 to 4.35... ? I poked around in the menu to no avail
Oct 16, 2017, 09:26 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
You can also charge the Hv cells to "normal" 4.20 voltage. If you're worried about your ESC, motor or prop handling the extra voltage you could start at 4.20, then 4.25, then 4.30 etc. Little at a time and see how it goes.
Oct 16, 2017, 09:43 PM
WOW, I actually have a brain.... got it! Had to turn off TV... and concentrate...lol

So with that being said, I guess Hyperion HV is highly recommended? Or are they intended for a specific purpose?

I wanted to get them for my 2M pattern ship, because I plan on flying it a great deal to become competitive ....

Ideas?
Oct 16, 2017, 09:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tic
You can also charge the Hv cells to "normal" 4.20 voltage. If you're worried about your ESC, motor or prop handling the extra voltage you could start at 4.20, then 4.25, then 4.30 etc. Little at a time and see how it goes.

I guess I can ask Jeti if the Mezon ESC can handle the voltage....?
IS that the only device that I need to consider?
Oct 16, 2017, 09:50 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasperwing
I guess I can ask Jeti if the Mezon ESC can handle the voltage....?
The only issues we've seen, only sometimes, is that the ESC will think that a 5S battery is a 6S battery, etc. So, if auto-detect voltage cut-off is enabled it might detect your battery incorrectly and the cut-off might happen prematurely. This is common on Castle controllers.
Oct 16, 2017, 10:04 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
Was just trying to help Kasperwing.. If your motor runs hot on 10s with SV cells, it might run a little hotter with 10s Hv cells.. How much? don't know, probably not much. I disable auto detect cut off on my Castle controllers. If you plan to compete w/ your pattern ship, you might also want to check FAI rules on lipo cells.. For FAI F5B competition, only standard voltage lipo cells are allowed
Oct 16, 2017, 10:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tic
Was just trying to help Kasperwing.. If your motor runs hot on 10s with SV cells, it might run a little hotter with 10s Hv cells.. How much? don't know, probably not much. I disable auto detect cut off on my Castle controllers. If you plan to compete w/ your pattern ship, you might also want to check FAI rules on lipo cells.. For FAI F5B competition, only standard voltage lipo cells are allowed

Thats a good idea, I will be either intermediate or advanced come the new season. So yea, I need to find out if HV cells are allowed. Its only 1.5 volts more, and we fly at 1/2 throttle... so i can not imagine why HV would be disallowed.....hmmmm
Oct 16, 2017, 11:18 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
Yeah big difference in F5B where everything is always WOT and watt limiters are used. That extra punch from the Hv cells would up the watts significantly. For sport flying F5B, it'd be awesome though. I'm really hoping Hyperion will make some 5s 1800mah packs for us. We just do very short bursts at WOT pulling over 6,000 watts

Quick Reply