This thread is privately moderated by Xpress.., who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 02, 2017, 04:06 PM
Fully Sending It
Thread OP
Build Log

Pilot RC 107" Edge 540 Build Log

Out of all of the airplanes out there, 2 stand out as being my favorite. The first of which is the Slick, I have 3 of them in my hangar, all Aerobeez- a 48", a 70", and a 91" 70CC. The second of which, and certainly not any lesser, is the Edge 540. I've had a couple of Edge foamies through the years but never anything built up, let alone gas.

So here goes. Nothing over the top fancy, but it's not going to be an entirely stock build either. This is the particular scheme I have.

Now I've actually had this airplane since mid 2015 and decided I no longer want to wait to put it together, out came the credit card!!!

Last night I started with dripping some thin CA onto the outside of the phenolic tubes in both the wings and the elevators to make sure they are locked in place. I also dripped thin CA around the anti-rotation pins and servo pockets. Hitec HSB-9380TH servos were the servo of choice for this airplane for me so I dropped 2 into the left wing panel.

Of course it never dawned on me that I didn't have harnesses or aluminum horns for the servos until after I mounted the servos in place so that is where I stopped for the night.
Latest blog entry: My relationship with Hitec
to remove ads between posts
Feb 09, 2017, 04:57 PM
Fully Sending It
Thread OP
New hotness for the Edge, a DA120! This will make my 3rd engine from Desert Aircraft, alongside a DA70 and another DA120. Desert Aircraft was kind enough to get me a deal on this engine and a set of mufflers, and into my hands within 2 days! These guys rule!
Mar 03, 2017, 02:37 PM
twitter.com/hobbygeek053
subscribed!
Apr 12, 2017, 12:57 PM
Fully Sending It
Thread OP
I am terribly slow when it comes to builds like this, but at least I have made progress yesterday. A new Extreme Flight 100CC tailwheel was fitted to the airplane, the elevator servos and linkages were installed, and the Extreme Flight fuel tank was also partially plumbed and installed. I am using the new Extreme Flight 2" servo arms, I like these arms a little bit better than the SWB arms because they have more mounting hole options for the linkages and use a larger set screw.

Not that much further to go, the biggest steps are gluing the firewall into the motor box and gluing the control horns in.
Apr 13, 2017, 12:32 PM
Fully Sending It
Thread OP
Elevator servos are perfectly matched, thanks to the Hitec HFP-30 programmer. The HSB-9380TH servos are extremely linear in their movement so it was no sweat to get them to be perfectly matched with each other through the whole range of movement
Apr 19, 2017, 03:12 PM
Fully Sending It
Thread OP
TailDragger RC harnesses came in the mail today, now I can get the wings completed!

Still to do:

-Assemble wing servos/linkages
-Mount firewall to motor box
-Mount engine to firewall
-Figure out location for throttle servo
-Acquire prop
-Acquire better main gear/axles
-Figure out where rx/batteries go according to CG

Apr 20, 2017, 03:18 PM
Fully Sending It
Thread OP
TDRC harnesses installed into both wings, and I managed to fit control horns to one wing panel. Hoping to finish the control horns in the 2nd panel today and get both ailerons linked up to servos.

I made a protractor to fit right over the top of the servo, should help with dialing in the control throws, make the servos dead nuts even on both sides of center. I do believe 50 degrees on each side of the servos center is where I want to aim, to give the best linkage geometry and resolution.
Apr 21, 2017, 01:35 PM
Fully Sending It
Thread OP
One wing panel completed. I love these servos, they're ridiculously linear. My protractor helped out as well, I wound up with about 45 degrees of throw in both directions on each servo and that gave me around 45 degrees of total control throw on the surface, a perfect 1:1 ratio.
Apr 25, 2017, 05:21 PM
Fully Sending It
Thread OP
Well there's not much else that needs to be done now!!! Over the weekend I got the rudder servo installed and linked up, the firewall installed to the motor box, the bolts for the split cowl installed, and standoffs for the motor ordered up.

Waiting for standoffs to arrive tomorrow then I'll get to work on bolting the engine up and getting the throttle servo installed and linked up. After that I just need a prop, IBEC, and some good wheels/axles!!
Apr 25, 2017, 05:25 PM
twitter.com/hobbygeek053
looking good!
Apr 27, 2017, 10:50 AM
Fully Sending It
Thread OP
We're almost there! Engine mocked in place last night. Cowl will need to be clearanced for the port side plug cap, but everything else looks good! Next up I need to get the throttle servo mounted and we can finally test run this beast

She looks so anxious to fly!
May 15, 2017, 01:47 PM
Fully Sending It
Thread OP
Throttle linkage hooked up! Just need to mount the ignition and bolt the prop on, then I can test run the engine.

Tech Aero IBEC also showed up today.
May 19, 2017, 05:57 PM
Fully Sending It
Thread OP
More work on the Edge last night, at this point we are pretty much ready to fire the thing up and see if it runs. Now, I'm not able to predict the future but I have a sneaking suspicion that the engine will run if I throw fuel and power to it....

I had mounted the ignition ontop of the motor box initially as this is where I normally mount my ignitions on my airplanes, it keeps everything all neat and easily accessible incase I need to remove the ignition for any reason. However I didn't realize there is very little room ontop of the motor box with the cowl on, so the ignition was relocated inside of the box above the throttle servo. 2, 1" holes were drilled in the side of the box to pass the plug wires through, accompanied by some grommets to prevent chafing.

I also wired in the Tech Aero IBEC so all I need to do now is bolt the mufflers and prop on and we can test fire this engine

Snakeskin wire loom will come soon enough as well
May 24, 2017, 10:47 AM
Fully Sending It
Thread OP
Well the last little bits of work were done yesterday, cowl has been but and clearanced, CG checked, batteries/rx mounted (airplane is a little tailheavy as it sits), thing is pretty much ready to fly!!

The last 2 things I need to do are buy the right wheels for it and bolt the wheel pants in place, and then get the right prop for it.
May 31, 2017, 04:52 PM
Fully Sending It
Thread OP
DuBro 4" treadlight wheels and wheel pants have been mounted. PureTech battery straps to wrap the flight packs. Aside from a prop, this baby is ready to fly

Quick Reply