Jun 09, 2018, 03:42 PM
Blue Remembered Hills
Quote:
Originally Posted by union1
From what I can remember there were a few things wrong with the freewing mosquito. Vertical stab, wing position to name but 2 of them.
Nope... definitely room for a good one!
Agreed Union, RcCastle were recently running out their stock of the Freewing 1400mm Mossies for a very reasonably price but I still couldnt bring myself to buy it, just too many things wrong with it to do Wooden Wonder justice. I'm not fussed who makes a Mossie for us, (Freewing/Flightline, FMS, Avios, errr probably not Dynam) I just know I NEED one in the 1600mm-1800mm range in foam, with a decent scale outline, scale retracts and flaps and an interchangable nose (much like Flightline's B-24). Its unlikely FMS would make one as they seem to cater for the American warbird market first (I'm not knocking them, their 1700mm Tigercat is currently my favourite bird in the hanger) so maybe we should be lobbying Flightline (a 1600mm Mossie would sit very nicely alongside their TC and P-38 ) or Avios to plug this gaping hole in the market. And don't even get me started on an 1800mm -2000mm foam Lancaster..............
Anyway, if your reading this Stephen, first things first, hurry up and get the Avios Spitty to market, I've just sold 6 foamy warbirds in an EOFY hanger clearout to make room for her, so I'm cashed up and impatiently waiting her release. Don't leave it too long or I'll go and spend the money on a Staufenbiel Yak 11, I have a very persuasive Russian friend who insists I get one so he can watch me fly it.
Last edited by ShropshireLad; Jun 09, 2018 at 03:58 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 09, 2018, 07:00 PM
"its not a hobby its obsession
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShropshireLad
Agreed Union, RcCastle were recently running out their stock of the Freewing 1400mm Mossies for a very reasonably price but I still couldnt bring myself to buy it, just too many things wrong with it to do Wooden Wonder justice. I'm not fussed who makes a Mossie for us, (Freewing/Flightline, FMS, Avios, errr probably not Dynam) I just know I NEED one in the 1600mm-1800mm range in foam, with a decent scale outline, scale retracts and flaps and an interchangable nose (much like Flightline's B-24). Its unlikely FMS would make one as they seem to cater for the American warbird market first (I'm not knocking them, their 1700mm Tigercat is currently my favourite bird in the hanger) so maybe we should be lobbying Flightline (a 1600mm Mossie would sit very nicely alongside their TC and P-38 ) or Avios to plug this gaping hole in the market. And don't even get me started on an 1800mm -2000mm foam Lancaster..............
Anyway, if your reading this Stephen, first things first, hurry up and get the Avios Spitty to market, I've just sold 6 foamy warbirds in an EOFY hanger clearout to make room for her, so I'm cashed up and impatiently waiting her release. Don't leave it too long or I'll go and spend the money on a Staufenbiel Yak 11, I have a very persuasive Russian friend who insists I get one so he can watch me fly it.

At 1600 a mossi would sit quite scale against the parkzone or Durafly spits

Merlins (0 min 36 sec)
Jun 10, 2018, 03:47 AM
Jiggz Are these CGI Mossies or ones that regularly fly over your property along with the Spitfires.....HaHa
Jun 10, 2018, 01:49 PM
Walked away from all landings
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShropshireLad
Perhaps you could enlighten me as to the problems with the Freewing Mosquito.

There are over 200 pages with over 3000 comments regarding the Freewing Mosquito. The majority of the posts are quite favorable to the Freewing version. There are of course complaints about the fuselage and the nose as well as the rudder not being to scale but you have to remember in order for this model to fly well some liberties will be taken as to its scale.

For those who have the Freewing model make sure you checkout the RCInformer site, there is a great build video on this plane as well as detailed fixes for the landing gear hinges and the landing gear doors as well.

I agree, it would be great to have this model re-released in a larger scale like the Freewing Spitfire or the B24.

But until there is another version released the Freewing version is certainly well accepted among most of those posting on this site. As to scale aspects some modifications can be made but you do take the risk of destabilizing the aerodynamics of the model. It flies great once you have found the sweet spot for the CofG.
Jun 10, 2018, 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRhone
Perhaps you could enlighten me as to the problems with the Freewing Mosquito.
I'll make a start with the wings being in the wrong position on the fuselage, too low and too far back relative to the cockpit.
The nose is too long, the vertical tail too big (it doesn't need to be) and there's something freaky going on with the nacelles.
Apart from that it's not a bad rendition and I'm probably just being picky.... I'm still sulking that the cockpit on my Savex Spitfire is 40mm too far forward!
Latest blog entry: SR-71 for 2 x 70mm EDF
Jun 10, 2018, 04:30 PM
Blue Remembered Hills
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRhone
Perhaps you could enlighten me as to the problems with the Freewing Mosquito. .
I'm not saying there are any problems with the way if flies, it does look like a great performer and yes, what RC model doesn't make dispensations to scale inorder to get solid flight performance, more often than not in the empenage, the enlarged rudder on the Freewing doesn't bother me at all. The wing stagger and shape, the cockpit and the engines are what "ruins" the Freewing Mossie for me personally. Its my favourite aircraft of all time so maybe I am just being too critical, but as well as an outstanding and versatile fighting machine it has in my eyes an aesthetic beauty that is unsurpassed and it deserves better. Surely thats why we are all clamouring for the Avios Spit, because here's another beautiful aircraft that (while its not going to be 100% accurate in every aspect because at the end of the day its just a foamie) the manufacturer has invested the time and effort and respect to not only produce a great flying model but to make it look as close to scale as possible.
Jun 12, 2018, 05:44 AM
gordon fraser
Like I said folks back in April (20th), until IAN from Hobbyking starts talking about this Spitfire, only then will we know it's on its way.

Like I said before, Stephen seems to have a problem understanding the concept of time bless him.

Remember folks, the bf109e thread ran to over 200 pages before that model finally arrived.

You have a long wait yet for this particular Spitfire.

Gordon Fraser.
U.K.
Jun 12, 2018, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon fraser
Like I said folks back in April (20th), until IAN from Hobbyking starts talking about this Spitfire, only then will we know it's on its way.

Like I said before, Stephen seems to have a problem understanding the concept of time bless him.

Remember folks, the bf109e thread ran to over 200 pages before that model finally arrived.

Gordon Fraser.
U.K.
Reminder: despite all your whining, the 109e did arrive.
Jun 12, 2018, 03:08 PM
..... about 9 months too late. And the Spit is 13 months overdue - still counting.
Jun 12, 2018, 03:40 PM
Walked away from all landings
Quote:
Originally Posted by piano0412
..... about 9 months too late. And the Spit is 13 months overdue - still counting.
SOON - as the HK saying goes

Not sure if we will have to wait until the 200 page mark on this thread before the Avios bird arrives.

Anyone know what the odds are?
Jun 12, 2018, 06:42 PM
Head NEAT geek
Quote:
Originally Posted by piano0412
too late for what? there are many out there enjoying it... and probably many that don't even know or care rcgroups exists? so they did not know it was late!
Jun 12, 2018, 07:00 PM
Suspended Account
Of all the foam planes spoken about on rcgroups, this one is the most interesting as I see it. For example although it's smaller than the Flightline that's interesting in itself. No doubt some will buy and fly both and the two planes various flight characteristics can be compared. That will be very interesting.

Brent.
Jun 12, 2018, 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon fraser

Gordon Fraser.
U.K.
And you wonder why people like you don't hear from me.

I shouldn't be surprised by your comments Gordon you're that kind of person I guess.

Stephen.
Latest blog entry: Gold
Jun 12, 2018, 08:13 PM
Name: ^A8BEBE71E5E883805FEBE37E0DA8E3B1F940030210B0AB6146^pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg
Views: 207
Size: 182.9 KB
Description:

Anyway!! Back onto the Spitfire.

Name: 35284255_609013149453407_7790113708985810944_n.jpg
Views: 154
Size: 60.8 KB
Description:

Stephen
Latest blog entry: Gold
Jun 13, 2018, 12:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenHobbyking
And you wonder why people like you don't hear from me.

I shouldn't be surprised by your comments Gordon you're that kind of person I guess.

Stephen.
Gordon has 200 posts and I'm pretty sure 195 of them are carping about this plane and the 109!

Quick Reply