VOK power 1500 2s Lipo - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
This thread is privately moderated by old4570, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 01, 2017, 11:16 PM
Mini-Review

VOK power 1500 2s Lipo

I ordered a 2s 1500mAh battery for my WLtoys 12428 Crawler ..
It got here at last the other day .. ( Now I can have twice as much fun )

I never use a battery untested :
So here goes ,

I charged the battery @ 0.5 amp till it was fully charged .
I then discharged it to check capacity as well as how well the cells were matched ..
Discharging to 6v @ 0.5 amp one cell was 3.5v and the other cell was 2.5v .. ( not a good showing )

Recharged the battery @ 0.5 amp till its fully charged
Then discharged once again @ 0.5 amp to see at what point the imbalance kicked in
All was good till about 3.66v ( individual cell voltage )
By the time one cell was 3.63v the other was 3.53v .. ( 1120 mAh discharged )
I stopped the discharge right there and then , and went back to charging the battery @ 0.5 amp ...

I did not cycle the battery again ..
But rather went to bed , and then threw the battery in my WLtoys 12428 Crawler buggy ..

VOK1500 2s Lipo Battery Test (3 min 50 sec)

The video shows my running the VOK 2s in the WLtoys , and then checking the battery after depleting it ..
Cells were about 3.222v and 3.183v ...
Currently charging the battery @ 0.4 amp ( balance charging - Is there any other way ? )
Last edited by old4570; Feb 02, 2017 at 11:00 PM.
to remove ads between posts
May 30, 2017, 05:28 PM
So all in all, would you recommend VOK batteries based on their price and performance? Are they worth the money?
May 31, 2017, 01:33 AM

Recommend ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolzen
So all in all, would you recommend VOK batteries based on their price and performance? Are they worth the money?
No , I would not recommend VOK ...
I have a single 2s 1500 and 2x 2s 480..
And all of the packs have badly matched cells ..

If you go down this road , use extreme caution !
I rate VOK bottom of the barrel , possibly capable of being dangerous in the right circumstances !
Jul 12, 2017, 10:35 PM

list of vok batteries

do you know how can i get the list of the vok batteries? i need some of around 1800, 3 cells.
link?
thanks
Jul 13, 2017, 12:10 AM
A list ?
Just search for VOK on Ebay or Google ...

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...ttery&_sacat=0
Jul 13, 2017, 07:54 AM

list instead

the thing is, they show only 1500 then 2200 and i need something around 1800 to match weight, so i guess they dont have it.
i was thinking on a list instead of combing pages that only repeat 1500 then 2200.
thanks anyway.
Last edited by phil alvirez; Jul 13, 2017 at 08:15 AM.
Jul 16, 2017, 02:29 AM

brands

eventually i found another that has the 1800 in the weight range i need so will try it.
for what i have experienced (and heard), there is a close performance in cells no matter what 'brand' they are.
Jul 16, 2017, 07:40 AM

????

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil alvirez
eventually i found another that has the 1800 in the weight range i need so will try it.
for what i have experienced (and heard), there is a close performance in cells no matter what 'brand' they are.
????????????????????????????/

Heard where ?

There can be a massive performance difference ...
And all batteries need testing to verify safety , or just how unsafe they may be ...

These are way different to AA alkaline's ...
These batteries can hurt you , they can burn your house down , they can potentially kill you ! ( Never lose sight of that )
Jul 21, 2017, 04:39 AM

work great for me

lets go back to the batteries performance:
i have been using them and work great for me. these 1500s weigh the same as my 1000s graphenes, and provide me way more flight time.
thats all that i can tell about them.
so long...
Jul 21, 2017, 05:17 AM
Seriously !
1) You need to see if and where imbalance kicks in ... If you deplete the batteries too low one cell could be damaged and cause problems .. Watch Youtube and see lipo's flame out ..
2) Recharging poorly balanced batteries can cause problems .. Always balance charge .. Again see Youtube for Lipo fires
3) Ignorance is bliss till it bites you .. or maybe kills you and your loved ones .

Bottom line , Lipo's are only as safe as you are !

As for performance ? Well the biggest is discharge capability . Even bad batteries can power a plane or buggy , but low performance batteries can not deliver current . So if you are needing say 20 amps @ 12.6v ( fully charged 3s ) .. With voltage sag that might be 10 volts and 20 amps which is 200 Watts ..

Now lets say you want to power something needing 400 Watts , and the batteries are good for 200 Watts .. The strain put on the batteries will affect the weakest cell in the pack the worst . This cell will degrade faster than the others in the pack .
Now depending on the original condition of the cell , it may become problematic sooner or latter ( see those youtube videos ) .

The only way to know , is to learn to monitor your batteries . If you don't want to know ?
But then this post is for anyone that happens to read it .

So it is some what important to
A) Know the condition of your batteries
B) Buy batteries that can meet the needs of the application they are put to
C) Monitor the batteries over their life time so that you can see when they may start to cause problems , before they actually do .

So here is a scenario :

Some one owns a 3s battery pack ..
Cell one holds 1500mAh
Cell two holds 1550mAh
And cell 3 holds 1200mAh
The battery pack is a 1800mAh ( per label on battery ) and is rated 25C continuous discharge .
So by the label .. 1800 x 25 = 45 AMP or around 500 Watts
Now that sound ok till we look at the nitty gritty !

Lets try the 1200mAh cell = 30 Amps or 350ish Watts ..
Thats quite different from the label .

So what happens !

Well we need to understand a few things ...
Devices see the combined voltage .. 3 x 4.2 = 12.6v ( 3s )

So that 1200mAh is just not going to last as long as the other cells ...
So while the other cells might be ok , the weaker cell could be headed towards dangerously low voltage levels before your buggy (?) calls it quits .

So the weaker cell will be under more stress , suffer more damage , degrade faster .. So over time the battery pack will become dangerous to use ( see those youtube video's ) .
There is no guarantee the battery will flame out or blow up or anything .. It just might stop working ( bad cell ) , and not accept a charge .. Or it could do the worst and become a bomb .

All this stuff goes hand in hand . If you want to trust blind luck , that's fine . I don't , I want to know what my battery is doing , and use it as safely as possible . If I can't use it safely then I will get rid of it ..

Seriously , my life is worth a hell of a lot more than a $10 battery ... I don't think I own anything that's worth more than my life .