2017 Nor Cal 60" MoM Slope Race Series - RC Groups
Feb 01, 2017, 05:49 PM
Contest

2017 Nor Cal 60" MoM Slope Race Series

Only 32 days until the first race of the 2017 Nor Cal Man on Man race series!

No surprises to the format, same as last year . . . 60" max wing span. Fly whatever you have. Foamies, combat wings, moldies, wiffle bats with wings (yes, it happened) all are welcome.

We decided on increasing the number of races this year, based on the interest we had in 2016. There will be four races in the series , here are the dates:

March 5 Contest Director is Scott
April 2 Contest Director is Mike
June 4 Contest Director is Scott
July 30 Contest Director is Mike
(No back up dates for any of these races)

There will be one 'drop' after 3 events. (Best 1 races out of 1 race, 2 out of 2, 2 out of 3, 3 out of 4).

Race location will be selected by the CD based on weather, and announced here, on this thread.

When races are held at the SLoT there will be a $5 fee for NCSS members, and a $15 fee for non-NCSS members. This helps fund the awards for the top three series finishers. When the races are not held at the SLoT, this is just a suggested donation.

This is a great introduction to slope soaring, and slope racing. If you have interest in becoming a NCSS (Nor Cal Slope Soarers) member, this is a great way to come and check out our club. We have private access to one of the best inland slopes in the Bay Area. Membership is reasonable, and our club is made up of friendly folks who love slope soaring.

Looking forward to another great season of flying!

Scott Thomason
NCSS President
Last edited by curdman; Feb 01, 2017 at 06:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 05, 2017, 01:16 AM
Marked on the calendar. Looking forward to it!
Feb 05, 2017, 10:04 PM
Old skool speed freak!
Looking forward to some close racing this year!
Anyone else up for some adrenaline fixes??
Feb 07, 2017, 05:57 PM
On the Go Fly List
Yes, please! Time to get the 60"ers in shape.

Adam
Feb 07, 2017, 11:34 PM
What is a competitive 60 that doesn't break the bank?
Feb 08, 2017, 01:29 AM
I like the JW60.

Fun to fly foam, and you 'get' to build them. (Half the fun is building). And after the race, we DS!

As far as moldies, last year I remember seeing:
Vortex
Mach Dart
Mini Skorpion
Aeromod ((prodij?)
Speedos
Destiny
Mini Mach
Sunbird

Probably a few others that I can't remember. I hope you come out Miguel, it is a lot of fun. Always way more laughter than the F races.
It would be great to get another half dozen pilots involved in these races. The more the merrier. It really gets fun when we can get 3 or 4 up per heat.
Feb 08, 2017, 01:41 AM
I just remebered something . . . If you are looking for a model for these races you should seriously consider getting one with flaps.

(And provision for ballast)

We try and have these at the SLoT, where the wind often blows hard. Flaps make the world of difference when it comes to landing a moldie at the SLoT.
Feb 08, 2017, 07:23 AM
Old skool speed freak!
Yeah, Like Scott said, any of the DS-able foamie wings, even if second hand, would be a great way to dip your toe in the water in regards to these 60" MOM races! Then you will likely get "the Bug" and want something even faster!!

You have been warned!!
Feb 08, 2017, 11:50 AM
Ok thanks for the tips guys!
Feb 08, 2017, 02:54 PM
Great info here for you Miguel, definitely think you would enjoy the MoM format, especially knowing you are interested in the ISR as well. A few more 60" racer options I recall from last season: Mark flew a K&A Models Accelerator, then switched to a Mini-Blade (SUSA), and Aaron flew a Dynamic 60 (Aloft).
Feb 08, 2017, 03:01 PM
There was also Kevin's custom Wiffle Bat racer although he did order a Mini-Terminator (FlightComp) to perhaps race it this season.
Feb 08, 2017, 05:37 PM
So the Destiny is 60", has a ballast tube, carbon-reinforced spar and is known to be tough, and is $239? Only drawback is it doesn't have flaps. Also I heard something about it liking to flick roll? I am not into wings, otherwise I would go the jw60/mt60. What do you think? Mini-mach carbon is about 66 inches. Sunbird would have to be in carbon because of the weak boom but it has flaps and will be around $350.
Feb 08, 2017, 06:24 PM
On the Go Fly List
I suspect that the plane/pilot that finishes the most races, regardless of speed will probably come out on top.

I had a glass Sunbird last year and snapped the boom after the first race. I would have been done for the day if Scott had not loaned me his indestructable JW60. Best to have a backup plane (or two) just in case.

Adam
Feb 08, 2017, 08:39 PM
Actually i did manage to destroy that one!

But I did make a new fus and just got it back together.
Feb 09, 2017, 02:11 PM
Anybody build/fly one of these:

http://www.stevedrake.com/G-V-60.htm

Looks like a long build though.