Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Feb 01, 2017, 04:28 PM
Help!

Can't for the life of me fix my FPV feed

Please help, RCGroups. I tried to dive into the hobby with an FPV quad almost a year ago and have since been stuck trying to solve my FPV setup to no avail.

My full parts list is available on this spreadsheet, I've highlighted parts of interest in yellow for ease of viewing.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...FC4/edit#gid=0

Here is an imgur album showing my wiring.
http://imgur.com/a/DT10p

Note: My camera is 5v

Phase 1: My FPV feed worked as intended - clear and noise free until I powered on the quad. At that point the feed would cut to black. I figured my PDB had issues supplying 5v to both my FC and the camera, so I purchased the TS832.

Phase 2: Running the TS832 from the 12v spot on my PDB, it has a 5v line on it from which I powered the camera, hoping to take stress off the PDB 5v line. I can't even get my FPV feed working at all anymore, my goggles have the black/white fuzz and "No Signal" written across the top. However, I can see just the faintest materialization on the screen. I can wave a hand in front of the camera and notice the fuzz change ever so slightly. There's SOMETHING getting through.

Phase 3: I bought another RC832 unit hoping mine had somehow turned faulty, but no success. Same results as above.

What do I do next? Should i try to swap in a new PDB? A new camera? Isolating the issue is difficult when I have to buy a new piece each time.
Is there an apparent wiring issue?

Thank you in advance.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 02, 2017, 11:36 PM
Quote:
Phase 1: My FPV feed worked as intended - clear and noise free until I powered on the quad. At that point the feed would cut to black. I figured my PDB had issues supplying 5v to both my FC and the camera, so I purchased the TS832.
The $3 5/12V PDB has linear VRegs on it. The 12 VReg needs CLEAN 14V for noise-free operation and your blackout under load suggest that this requirement is not being met. And the linear 5V Vreg that powers the camera and FC may overheat and go into thermal shutdown. I recommend that you upgrade to good quality DC-DC VRegs that are compatible with 3S/4S packs.

Quote:
Phase 2: Running the TS832 from the 12v spot on my PDB, it has a 5v line on it from which I powered the camera, hoping to take stress off the PDB 5v line. I can't even get my FPV feed working at all anymore, ...
If you mean that you powered the 5V camera from the TS832's "Cam V Out" wire then I believe that the camera was powered by 12V, not 5V. Better check that out again with the DMM. If confirmed, replace the over-voltage damaged camera, provide the proper voltage to it, then return to your original troubleshooting.

- Thomas
Feb 03, 2017, 04:01 AM
fly by night
Thomas is right:

"FAQ:

It can compatible with 3-5 V camera ,but need to add a voltage step down module "

http://www.banggood.com/Eachine-TS83...FPVtransmitter

for quality regulators, research the recommended ones. most often used in FPV is Pololu brand http://www.getfpv.com/catalogsearch/...cat=0&q=pololu

but life is easier with wide-voltage Camera and Vtx! needing regulators is so 2014, LOL
Feb 03, 2017, 06:23 AM
have only been doing fpv for a short time, but you learn by your cock ups . started with cheap cameras ,( had two like yours -both failed to power up ) go for a camera that can take a wide range of voltage ( 5-22 volts ) then if your wiring is not right (think its 5 volts but is in fact 12 volts you dont blow your camera ) so many of the vtx are 7 to 24 volt rated . on my system i run 12 volt power from the battery through a 12 volt filter to a camera and vtx which have the ranges i have said and let each component sort itself out . it also means that i dont have to worry about step down units for a 5 volt camera. the cost of the cameras is a bit more but it make the install straight forward ... hope this helps .. fpv is like a drug once you start you always want more
Feb 04, 2017, 12:33 PM
Thomas, Salt, and sweets,

Thank you so much! I won't pretend to understand 100% of your advice, but it's relieving to see such a clear diagnosis of the problem.

If i'm understanding this right SOMETHING about supplying 5v to the camera isn't working, and I should just shell out for a better (12V) one (FOXEER seems to be the standard pick?).

As a final question, am I correct in assuming I haven't damaged ANYTHING of the vTX? Just a new camera will fix things?

-Matt
Feb 04, 2017, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweets
have only been doing fpv for a short time, but you learn by your cock ups . started with cheap cameras ,( had two like yours -both failed to power up ) go for a camera that can take a wide range of voltage ( 5-22 volts ) then if your wiring is not right (think its 5 volts but is in fact 12 volts you dont blow your camera ) so many of the vtx are 7 to 24 volt rated . on my system i run 12 volt power from the battery through a 12 volt filter to a camera and vtx which have the ranges i have said and let each component sort itself out . it also means that i dont have to worry about step down units for a 5 volt camera. the cost of the cameras is a bit more but it make the install straight forward ... hope this helps .. fpv is like a drug once you start you always want more
Question: If you are supplying 12V power to the vTx/camera, why do you need a 12V regulator? Isn't there 12V supplied with or without it?
Feb 04, 2017, 01:10 PM
the 12 volt filter has a 12 volt supply in and a 12 volt supply out. its not a regulator it will remove any noise from the 12 volt supply (electric noise ) its not needed ,just a belt and braces , just in case there is any electrical noise on the p.d.b from the esc or motors -so that it does not get to my fpv kit. on two of my fpv quads i dont have the filter in place , but on my plane i have it fitted as there is more room this is the unit i use as i run off 3s the 16 volts is plenty http://www.getfpv.com/lc-common-mode-power-filter.html... your vtx should be ok as it can take a wide voltage range will be your camera that has seen to much voltage ... also never put power to your vtx without an antenna fitted this will fry your vtx
Last edited by sweets; Feb 04, 2017 at 01:17 PM.
Mar 20, 2017, 01:19 PM
Finally fixed!

After all this troubleshooting / replacement, it appears my PDB was the issue. I likely burnt it out using my cheap $8 soldering iron. I bought a new one, resoldered everything, and it works just fine!

Thank you for everyone's help.