This thread is privately moderated by Dave Grife, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 10, 2019, 05:41 PM
Where in the USA ?
to remove ads between posts
Feb 10, 2019, 05:56 PM
Thread OP
https://www.sebartusa.com/?fbclid=Iw...Q9RRIYkQECaEKw

I just received the red Avanti XS three days ago, very good service and communication

DG
Feb 10, 2019, 10:12 PM
Team Futaba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Grife
https://www.sebartusa.com/?fbclid=Iw...Q9RRIYkQECaEKw

I just received the red Avanti XS three days ago, very good service and communication

DG
Thank you for the kind words Dave! I look forward to following your progress!

Neil
Feb 10, 2019, 10:55 PM
Thanks for the link sure hope to purchase an Avanti mini someday they seem to be out of stock always also looking forward to your progress Dave .
Feb 12, 2019, 08:30 PM
I just got the same thing yesterday - red Avanti XS. I also ordered from Neil, and also can highly recommend SebartUSA.

This plane looks really great, and super well-made. But it also looks a bit scary.....that moment will inevitably come when I have to push the throttle up and launch this nice expensive airframe towards its fate. I'm not sure if I am looking forward to that or dreading it. Anyway, it will happen, hopefully sometime in 2019 (currently queued behind one other project).
Feb 14, 2019, 12:19 PM
I was looking over servos surprisingly for a plane of this size, the three main control surfaces use mini servos, and only the flaps use full-size. But there are minis with pretty high torque. The number of minis required is 6:
2x aileron
2x elevator
1x rudder
1x nosewheel

The manual shows JR DS3401 being used. I looked at a few other options similar in size and torque, here is an incomplete table FYI. Also, here is a search URL on servodatabase.com using <1.33in length and >12mm width in order to approximately isolate mini size. It lists many other options from other makers.

https://servodatabase.com/servos?mod...-1.35&unknown=

You can adjust the search terms on this site and get other options.

I am inclined to go with Hitec HS7245MH. I like to run everything HV so that I can run on LiFe, direct without a volage regulator.
May 05, 2019, 06:59 PM
Thread OP
Flights # 43 and #44 on 5-5-19
Flights # 45 and # 46 on 5-11-19
Flights # 47 and # 48 on 5-27-19
Flight #49 on 6-14-19 Jet Jam
Flight # 50 on 6-15-19 Jet Jam
Flights #51 and #52 on 6-23-19
Flights #53 and #54 on 7-4-19
Flight #55 on 7-13-19 very poor conditions -lucky no damage
Flight # 56 on 8-10-19 Ft Wayne E-fly
Flight # 57 on 8-24-19 CARDS e-fly
Flight # 58 and # 59 on 10-5-19
Using the HobbyStar 8000mah batteries, two 6s packs in series - lightest 8000mah I could find
Seemed to go very well
Both flights exceeded 5 minutes of mixed aerobatics and still landed at 3.77 volts per cell
Best flights to date from a pure performance perspective

DG
Last edited by Dave Grife; Oct 05, 2019 at 05:36 PM.
May 11, 2019, 02:52 PM
Dave, I was wondering about a couple things. Do the custom ducts have a noticable effect? If so, where did you get them? Secondly have you measured speed either before or after the motor change?

This jet is on my short list as my first composite jet after a laundry list of 90mm foamy jets I have and continue to fly.

Thanks,

Peter
May 12, 2019, 07:16 AM
Thread OP
Hi Peter
Yes, the custom ducts really clean up the airflow and I highly recommend them. The fuselage is really set up for a turbine, but with a bit of effort can be a nice EDF. You can order the ducts from Christian at Schuebeber . @ [email protected]>
The power level has increased with the motor change. Previously I used a lot of full throttle -now not so much.
It's faster now but again its not designed to be a speed demon.
I hope you end up with one, it's a nice model to fly

DG
May 12, 2019, 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Grife
Hi Peter
Yes, the custom ducts really clean up the airflow and I highly recommend them. The fuselage is really set up for a turbine, but with a bit of effort can be a nice EDF. You can order the ducts from Christian at Schuebeber . @ [email protected]>
The power level has increased with the motor change. Previously I used a lot of full throttle -now not so much.
It's faster now but again its not designed to be a speed demon.
I hope you end up with one, it's a nice model to fly

DG
Interesting....I have one of these in my back bedroom with all the parts, but haven't started assembly yet. I briefly looked at the ducts from Schuebeler and thought they were only for turbine (I am doing EDF). I have not built ducting before, but some of my friends have done this with mylar, just making a simple "truncated cone" with different diameter at the back of the fan versus at the tail. Is the shape of the duct you installed anything fancier than a section of a cone? And did you install something before the fan also?
May 12, 2019, 11:49 AM
Thread OP
Hi
Please check out post # 29 of this thread. The custom ducts are inlet ducts and fiberglass.
Mylar is great for exhaust tubes.

DG
Last edited by Dave Grife; May 12, 2019 at 12:25 PM.
May 12, 2019, 10:14 PM
Thanks so much for the detailed info Dave.
Oct 04, 2019, 02:35 PM
Thread OP

Castle Data log

Flight #54 on 7-4-19
Flight #55 on 7-13-19 very poor conditions -lucky no damage
Flight # 56 on 8-10-19 Ft Wayne E-fly
Flight # 57 on 8-24-19 CARDS e-fly

Maximum power, 7700 Watts +, I think the batteries were warmer that day
Hoping to get out in the a.m.
DG

PS. exhaust diameter has been at 98mm for the last year or longer
10-5-19 a couple more flights today max. watts 7.3KW @ 50 degrees F
Last edited by Dave Grife; Oct 05, 2019 at 05:39 PM.
Oct 06, 2019, 10:50 AM
Thread OP

Intake extension -question

Here's a few pictures about custom intakes installation
Hope this helps, Mikael

DG
Oct 06, 2019, 07:24 PM
Thread OP
A bit of trouble w/ sun in camera screen, but an idea of performance

Avanti XS 10-5-19 (4 min 5 sec)

DG

Quick Reply