Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales

I just flew the Micro Vector on a Racing Drone - and I liked it!

The Eagle Tree Micro Vector is a killer racing flight controller, but it's also so much more...

Splash

Micro Vector Details

The Micro Vector is a miniature version of the Vector Flight Controller from Eagle Tree Systems. It is loaded with features and does nearly everything its full size counterpart can do. You can see the news article on the Micro Vector right here for more info. It comes with a case, but for the quad racers out there, you can remove the case and mount it like a traditional board right in the stack.

Tuning

This is one of the areas where the Micro Vector really shines. You can access the full menu system via the video feed and use your transmitter to change the settings. That means you can head to the field and get your quad tuned with one battery in a matter of minutes. Sure you could connect it to the software on your computer, change some settings, disconnect, fly, reconnect, change some settings, disconnect and fly, but doesn't that feel a bit outdated? Once you've tuned a quad with the Micro Vector you won't want to do it any other way. To access the menu, just flick the mode switch on your transmitter a few times and use the right stick to navigate and change your settings. Check out the video below from EagleTree for more info.

Flying the Micro Vector

The Micro Vector has a 32 bit processor, 8 kHz control loop and works with OneShot and Multishot ESC protocols. That means the board is every bit as capable as any other flight board available. I usually run the KISS FC and John from EagleTree wanted me to try the Micro Vector and see what I thought. He built, tuned and shipped a quad out to me so I could take it for a spin.

I have to say, I was impressed for sure. It felt great on the first flight and I had a blast ripping up and down the field on the first few flights getting a feel for it. Once I got comfortable with it, I went in for some close quarters flying around some trees in the park I was at and it handled every bit as good as my KISS quads. You can make adjustments to the rates, expo and PIDs to get it to feel and respond exactly how you want. It handled and felt every bit as good as my KISS setups with solid control. Here's a flight video of a few laps around the trees with the Micro Vector.

Conclusion

This quad will be shipping off to another tester soon, but after having played with it for a bit, I can say that I would be very happy with the Micro Vector had I purchased it. Sure the price is $99 which is more than most racing specific flight boards, but I feel that the value is there. Not only do you get a great flight controller, you also get a customizable OSD, Incredibly easy tuning via the goggles and transmitter as well as a robust stabilization and autopilot system with more features than you can shake a stick at. If you get tired of quads, you can switch the Micro Vector over to a plane and fly, shoot virtual air gates, take advantage of telemetry data, add-on sensors, autonomous flight, etc. The point is, the Micro Vector is every bit as good of a racing flight controller as anything else on the market, but it's also so much more than just a racing controller. It's certainly worth a look for your next build.

Check out the Eagle Tree Systems Micro Vector Here.

Thread Tools
Feb 01, 2017, 04:05 PM
Registered User
Dshot?
Feb 01, 2017, 04:25 PM
RCG Staff
Jason Cole's Avatar
From what I understand, no or at least not yet anyway.
Feb 01, 2017, 05:30 PM
SonicStrikeFPV
rcflyer729's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_P
Dshot?
not yet
Feb 01, 2017, 10:41 PM
Registered User
rpstar's Avatar
I'm going to be honest. Much of the OSD (including tuning via the sticks in the gui) can be achieved with a $6 minima osd board. Hence, it's not the OSD (albeit yeah a much more advanced one) that would get me to buy this. My question is how well does the air-gates mode really work on it? That seems to be the most compelling reason for it on a racing quad. I've only seen one video to date showing it and it looked ok but not much detail and too slow (ie: gates were nothing like racing gates).

Second, does this have an air-mode equivalent? Mostly interested in racing but air-mode freestyle is fun to play with.

Now, for fixed wing this is much more interesting but on the quad the above is what matters to me. Even if the air gates sucked for quads I might still consider it for wings as they would generally have a more open course.
Feb 02, 2017, 07:07 AM
Registered User
Bill Glover's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpstar
My question is how well does the air-gates mode really work on it? That seems to be the most compelling reason for it on a racing quad.
You need the separate GPS module for that though, and space is normally at a premium!

It looks nice enough but for quads an F3/F4 board plus BF/CF plus micro minimOSD is a tough combo to beat.

I agree it looks great for fixed-wing though.
Feb 02, 2017, 10:01 AM
SonicStrikeFPV
rcflyer729's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpstar
I'm going to be honest. Much of the OSD (including tuning via the sticks in the gui) can be achieved with a $6 minima osd board. Hence, it's not the OSD (albeit yeah a much more advanced one) that would get me to buy this. My question is how well does the air-gates mode really work on it? That seems to be the most compelling reason for it on a racing quad. I've only seen one video to date showing it and it looked ok but not much detail and too slow (ie: gates were nothing like racing gates).

Second, does this have an air-mode equivalent? Mostly interested in racing but air-mode freestyle is fun to play with.

Now, for fixed wing this is much more interesting but on the quad the above is what matters to me. Even if the air gates sucked for quads I might still consider it for wings as they would generally have a more open course.
It does have something very similar to air mode that works just as well if not better.
Feb 03, 2017, 07:57 AM
(ҿӬ)
what's the adoptation like coming from a mwii/base/clean/beta/race-flight controller?

IE: what are some things that your average FPV-noob (such as myself) going to experience that may not be explained well or is environmentally-different?
Feb 18, 2017, 08:41 AM
Registered User
If the price was closer to current F3 & F4 boards I'd try it, but until then it can't compete no matter how good it might be..
Feb 18, 2017, 10:09 PM
Registered User
rpstar's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari33
If the price was closer to current F3 & F4 boards I'd try it, but until then it can't compete no matter how good it might be..
For a racing quad that seems to be pretty much the general consensus. I'd like one for a wing though.


Thread Tools