Night Flying with the E-flite Brave - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
This thread is privately moderated by peterswolf, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 31, 2017, 08:57 AM
Cool

Night Flying with the E-flite Brave

A couple of Tuesdays ago, my son and I went out to the airfield to fly his trainer. That same day I also got a deal on a used E-flite Brave, so I brought it along as well. I flew a couple of flights just as the sun was about to set to get her maiden over with and make sure she was trimmed out nice. The Brave is a very stable flier, even without the AS3X receiver, as I was just using an AR400. I didn't install the flap hardware, so I did notice the trailing edge of the fixed flaps comes a little lower than the fuselage. This did appear to offer a bit of pitch up I felt, so I trimmed the elevator down a bit to compensate, and it seemed to work out ok. As the sun set, and the sky got darker I took the Brave up for a 3rd flight, this time with lights on. It was fantastic looking in the sky and lights really help you, obviously, clearly see the airframe. I was flying at a club I've been flying at for quite a while now so as it got darker I still felt comfortable knowing my surroundings, as just because you can see the plane doesn't mean you can see the unlit runway or trees I took her up for a 4th flight this time even darker, and it was fun. My son really enjoyed it as well. I tried to stay close and I did notice what some others have said, that at times the white light is overriding any green or red coming from the wing tips, so if you take your eyes off for a second or two I could really see how easy it would be to become disoriented. I think I may heed the advice of others and get some green and red on the underside of the wings.

I will say that is a really fun plane to fly in the dark, it's very stable, and on an asphalt runway very easy to take off and land. During the daylight hours it is fun to try and pull off scale crop dusting maneuvers as well!
to remove ads between posts