Jan 30, 2017, 07:57 PM
Altitude is my friend...
Thread OP
Discussion

Rise of the machines: Fear robots, not China or Mexico

This is a much bigger problem than any of us realize:

As artificial intelligence rapidly advances, it can only get worse

President Trump portrays Mexico, China and global trade as the biggest threats to American manufacturing jobs.

"It has been a one-sided deal from the beginning of NAFTA with massive numbers of jobs and companies lost," Trump tweeted on January 26.

His predecessor also offered a warning to American workers, of a different kind.

"The next wave of economic dislocations won't come from overseas. It will come from the relentless pace of automation that makes a lot of good middle class jobs obsolete," President Obama said in his farewell address.

Research supports Obama's claim. Far more jobs are lost to robots and automation -- better technology -- than trade with China, Mexico or any other country.

To be sure, America has lost a lot of jobs to trade, but robots threaten many more traditional, assembly line jobs. There are nearly 5 million fewer manufacturing jobs today than there were in 2000.
Jan 30, 2017, 07:59 PM
Tu ne cede malis
why so many expect a return to an industrial situation predicated upon 1950's era production dependent on the unique position as sole non destroyed western economy after WWII, I have no idea.... but it is wildly pervasive
Jan 30, 2017, 08:04 PM
Robotic companies.

Good news ? They do not need management either.
World is run by a bunch of birds burying their heads in the sand.

I am a mushroom. Feed me bullcrap & keep me in the dark.
Jan 30, 2017, 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Depronicus View Post

President Trump portrays Mexico, China and global trade as the biggest threats to American manufacturing jobs.

"It has been a one-sided deal from the beginning of NAFTA with massive numbers of jobs and companies lost," Trump tweeted on January 26.

His predecessor also offered a warning to American workers, of a different kind.

"The next wave of economic dislocations won't come from overseas. It will come from the relentless pace of automation that makes a lot of good middle class jobs obsolete," President Obama said in his farewell address.

Research supports Obama's claim. Far more jobs are lost to robots and automation -- better technology -- than trade with China, Mexico or any other country.

To be sure, America has lost a lot of jobs to trade, but robots threaten many more traditional, assembly line jobs. There are nearly 5 million fewer manufacturing jobs today than there were in 2000.
Are we still reeling from all of those awesome jobs picking cotton, stamping fenders, sewing shirts, and painting cars that robots have taken away?

There is just a lot of horrible work that I'm really glad that machines do. The key here is not to worry about jobs lost. The key is to teach people that they need to have fewer children.

A less populated world worked by machine is much preffered to an overcroweded, one where humans toil in fields and pollution is rampant.

Of course, Western civilization is doing it's part. It's that icky third world that won't evolve.
Jan 30, 2017, 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Depronicus View Post

Although I generally agree with you, robots are the best protection for American jobs. Since American wages are so much higher than Chinese or Mexican, American workers need a much better productivity to compete. Only robots can help. In this context robots help the American jobs.
One of the reasons Germans do so much better than French is German have been atomizing their industry much more the last 20 years.
Also you have to consider all robots make is increase productivity. There is no relation between and unemployment. When the productivity raises, you can loose or create jobs. It depends on what you do with the additional productivity. If you create the same amount of wealth, then you lose jobs, if you use the additional productivity to create more wealth, then you don't loose jobs but everyone is richer.
Jan 30, 2017, 08:13 PM
If the worker OWNED the robot ? Then he might make more money.
Jan 30, 2017, 08:14 PM
Tu ne cede malis
that is the kind of sideways thinking that yields huge benefits...when it is allowed to and not pre-planned out on the basis of 'can't work'.
Jan 30, 2017, 08:36 PM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
The huge difference from "picking cotton, stamping fenders, sewing shirts, and painting cars" is AI will encroach on intellectual skill sets, not just moving and manipulating mass.

I have little doubt 80% of humans will be pushed down into an economic stratum of doing what automation and AI have no interest, because it is not profitable.

The most startling aspect to most, is it will be here in 10-15 years. Denial will not save you.
Jan 30, 2017, 08:41 PM
I think some posters on this site are running on A I.
Jan 30, 2017, 08:50 PM
Tu ne cede malis
It must be the worst AI ever.
Jan 30, 2017, 09:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngoat View Post
it must be the worst ai ever.
:d:d:d Ha!
Jan 30, 2017, 09:06 PM
Altitude is my friend...
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdactyl View Post
'

The huge difference from "picking cotton, stamping fenders, sewing shirts, and painting cars" is AI will encroach on intellectual skill sets, not just moving and manipulating mass.
Yes, that's what's different about this. The advance of AI is a whole new ball game.
Jan 30, 2017, 09:16 PM
The fear of robots taking away manufacturing jobs is based on some very real numbers, but it has been going on for decades now, and the fact is, the jobs that robots are best at, are jobs that have little if any variation, unless the robot is equipped with a vision system, they can't handle changes or variation, many of the jobs robots are performing in manufacturing plants are jobs no person would want to do. It will be another decade or two before robots and their programs can come close to the dexterity of a human hand. Watching the Darpa robotic challenge where robots try to navigate an obstacle course that includes opening a door or walking up a flight of stairs, shows both how advanced they are and how far they still need to
go, before they can take over
Jan 30, 2017, 09:19 PM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Why people shrug off AI and automation warnings so readily is they are sitting on the knee of the asymptotic curve of exponential growth.

But, most of the masses see it as linear, because they live in a 2 to 4 year technological bubble. As of now that 'apparent' linear line seems somewhat steep, but not overly threatening

In eight years the curve will have changed upwards to a shocking degree. In fifteen, technology will change so quickly that only the most attentive, vibrant and intelligent will be able to keep up.
Jan 30, 2017, 09:22 PM
Random Pic #23982
Maybe the Robots can break stuff for people to fix.

Quick Reply