Formosa where to buy outside USA? - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jan 30, 2017, 04:26 PM
Spotty Herbert
Discussion

Formosa where to buy outside USA?

Hi,

I'd like to buy a Formosa but the only place which seems to have stock is GWS USA, and shipping here to sweden is a bruising $58... Does anyone know where I could buy one in Europe? Alternatively does anyone know of any good Formosa substitutes from other manufacturers? Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Feb 01, 2017, 08:10 AM
They are as rare as rocking horse poop in Europe. When I was importing some kits they,and various other kit are just not being produced any more...really a shame, so many fans of the airplane wanted them
Feb 01, 2017, 11:44 AM
Spotty Herbert
Thanks gordynic. What I don't understand is why no one has cloned it, surely the mini pylon racer / pattern ship shape would work well and be easily copied.
Feb 01, 2017, 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DucknDive
Thanks gordynic. What I don't understand is why no one has cloned it, surely the mini pylon racer / pattern ship shape would work well and be easily copied.
Hobbyking do something similar, but apparently it doesn't fly as well
Feb 02, 2017, 07:48 AM
Spotty Herbert
I didn't see anything Formosa-like when I looked at their site, but they've copied everyone else's designs so I'm sure you're right.
Feb 02, 2017, 06:29 PM
Accipiter Badius. That's what the cloned kit was called. There are films of it on YouTube ...just looked tail heavy and underpowered

There aren't any left at HK, I had tried to source them but not available
Feb 03, 2017, 04:14 AM
Spotty Herbert
I see. Seems to have been manufactured by Guan Li company in China. One place in Holland looks like it might have stock, but at 90 euros I think I'll pass

http://rc-modelbouwshop.nl/index.php...products_id=15
Feb 03, 2017, 07:54 AM
Spotty Herbert
How about this one?

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/32235...235795423.html

You'd need a fairly severe case of cataracts to find the colour scheme appealing, but leaving the decals off and doing a custom paint scheme is always an option. The span and shape look very Formosa to me, and the price is good, but the shipping cost is a pain in the butt.
Feb 15, 2017, 05:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DucknDive
How about this one?

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/32235...235795423.html

You'd need a fairly severe case of cataracts to find the colour scheme appealing, but leaving the decals off and doing a custom paint scheme is always an option. The span and shape look very Formosa to me, and the price is good, but the shipping cost is a pain in the butt.
I have owned this one. They copied from GWS model but the flying characteristic is much different from it. The CG stated in the manual is 115mm from LE and seems the angle of attack is too less.
If not I cannot purchase the GWS plane from market I would not purchase this.
Apr 20, 2017, 08:48 AM
Spotty Herbert
Thanks for your input kinomoto. It came a little too late as I already clicked the "buy" button and eventually it arrived with me. The kit went together very easily although a couple of gotchas to watch out for. The servo tray has the servos positioned horizontally and the elevator servo will obstruct the path of the linkage from the rudder servo. I got around this by mounting one servo above and one below the tray.

Also the manual shows the cage nut for the wing retention on the wrong (lower) side. If you follow that as I stupidly did, the first time you screw the wing on it rips the cage nut out! Easily fixed if you spot it at the right stage. The other thing is the C of G which you mentioned is shown at 115mm back, which is almost at the aileron hinge line!

Overall I was impressed with the quality of the kit parts and apart from the above gotchas which most experienced flyers can get around easily enough, it seems amazing value for money. I flew mine at the weekend on an Axi gold line 2212/26 3S 1250mAh lipo setup (12.6A WOT) and loved it. Very swoopy, loves to loop and roll and could handle a breeze without problems. It drops a wing on stall but recovers quite easily without spinning in. A very good practice plane I think.

I can't compare it to a Formosa as I never owned one, but for under $40 it's a no brainer if you already have a power set and servos which would suit it. There's a guy selling them on UK eBay for 33 or the Aliexpress guy will ship for a fairly bruising $42.

I couldn't ruin it by putting those awful vomit-scheme decals on, so just splashed some acrylic paint onto it. Fun little plane I reckon!