This thread is privately moderated by DismayingObservation, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 30, 2017, 03:13 PM
Pronoun trouble...
Thread OP
Discussion

Hmmm...

In this latest series of blogs where I repair, rejuvenate and otherwise re-fly some older models, I decided to do something to which I alluded in my previous entry.

That's where I mentioned that I had "two and a half" Twister Police Helicam coaxial helicopters. One was for an official RCGroups review and the other was given to me and subsequently repaired.

Ah, but there's that niggling "half." That was the nearly complete "parts" model in the box I'd purchased and later cannibalized a bit. I'd removed the receiver from the 3-in-1 mixer and put it in another plane. Flew it all of once. I'm glad I didn't do any more flight testing since the radio is not a full range unit!

The mostly complete frame plus a few spare parts had been stored in a freezer bag and boxed up when my wife and I moved. I'd forgotten about them until I dug out the model in the previous blog and I started going through some boxes. In that freezer bag along with the frame were one set of new blades, one set of used blades, the flybar, zip ties and double-stick tape, hardware and even the original Phillips screwdriver. The transmitter had been stored separately and I knew where to find it. Missing were the battery tray, camera and landing skids, but I know where the camera is. Not gonna use it.

As far as the battery tray is concerned, please read on.

I don't recall ever powering up that incomplete model before yesterday, but with everything connected, it worked perfectly. It even looks new with no hint of wear on the drive gears.

Since it's identical to the Blade CX4, parts weren't going to be an issue even though the CX4 is no longer in production. My local hobby shop had the improved battery tray and greatly improved skids in stock and I found a new CX4 fuselage online for a fraction of the retail cost. I have a like-new Police Helicam fuselage, but I'm saving that for the other two models. Besides, three of the same thing would be kind of boring.

So, I'll get the parts later today and try flying the frame tomorrow. I know that the gyro gain will be too high without a tail, but I just want to get an idea how everything will work. I'll have one more of these buzzards for very little money when I'm through! Pictures to follow.

UPDATE: I have the parts and the flexible mounting system for the skids looks as if it will help to solve the problem with the fragile Police Helicam skids. I may just convert the other two if this works half as well as I think it will. In short, I'm darn glad that the battery tray was missing!
Last edited by DismayingObservation; Jan 30, 2017 at 08:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply