Durafly EFXtra Racer/FPV Review

I really liked the Durafly EFX Racers from a few years ago when I reviewed them. They are fast, come with quality parts and are just a ton of fun to fly. There was room for improvement however and Durafly has done just that...

Splash

Introduction

Wingspan: 38" (965mm)
Length: 30.2" (760mm)
Flying Weight: 24.1oz (684g)
ESC: Aerostar 60A (Pre-installed)
Motor: 3536-1780kv Outrunner (Pre-installed)
Prop Size: 7x6.5 (4S), 8x6 (3S)
Channels: 4
Price: $162.85
Available at: HobbyKing

I really liked the Durafly EFX Racers from a few years ago when I reviewed them. They are fast, come with quality parts and are just a ton of fun to fly. There was room for improvement however and Durafly has done just that. The V2 is here and it's called the EFXtra. The Xtra is derived from the extra parts you get in the box, including a slope nose cone and an FPV canopy pod. That's not all the changes though, the wings are clipped down to a 38" wingspan, the battery bay is larger, the power system is larger, and they include a very nice aluminum spinner. Let's crack open the box and take a peek.

Kit Contents

When you open the box and slide out the foam tray, all the parts are neatly tucked away for shipping. Once you unpack everything, you'll find the fuselage which has the motor, ESC, and rudder/elevator servos already installed. The wing has the servos and control horns installed with ball link hardware ready to go as well. The horizontal stabilizer is there along with a hardware bag that includes a protective plastic cover for the bottom of the fuselage, a prop and a very nice aluminum spinner, but that's not all. There is a slope nose cone you can use if you want to take the EFXtra slope soaring and an FPV pod/hatch that you can build if you want, oh I want! HobbyKing also sent me a 3S and 4S lipo battery as well as an HS1177 FPV camera to use for this review.

Assembly

The assembly process is super easy since most of the work is already done at the factory. I started out by sliding the horizontal stabilizers into place at the rear of the fuselage. Both halves lock into each other for a secure joint. Then I installed the wing using the two supplied screws.

Next I centered all the servos and connected the control rods to the surfaces. The ball link hardware is nice and easily adjusted. There are a couple of plastic servo covers for the wing servos that have sticky tape on the bottom. The wing surface is recessed for the covers so they sit flush with the bottom of the wing which is a really nice touch. After the covers were in place I installed the propeller and the killer aluminum spinner. I put my receiver in between the two tail servos and that completed the assembly. It takes about 20 minutes if you take your time, it's an incredibly fast process.

FPV Hatch

One really great accessory that comes with the EFXtra is an FPV hatch kit. It comes on a parts tree and you'll need to glue it together which takes just a few minutes. There is a magnet in the kit that you glue in on the bottom and you install your own camera and video transmitter, all wired up to a balance adapter that you provide to fit your batteries balance lead. Once the FPV gear is on board you can then install the plastic cover for better aerodynamics. Once it is finished you can easily hot swap the foam hatch with the FPV hatch to go back and forth from line of sight and FPV flying in seconds, very cool!

Flying

Line of Sight Flying

Getting the EFXtra in the air is the first step. I like to grab it by the fuselage above the wing and give it a nice shove forward at a slight upward angle with about 3/4 power making sure to toss it level. Once in the air, you will not believe how locked in and solid it flys. It tracks so straight you might think it's tied to a line. I was genuinely impressed and more so because the original EFX racers flew so great that I just kept thinking, "how did they make it better?" And it is better, it's faster, quieter, and even more agile. I'm not just saying these things either, you'll be able to see my response after I land in the video down in the video section below. My adrenaline was pumping and it was just so much fun to fly I couldn't help but be pumped up.

The speed range is very broad, when you pull the power back, it will cruise around pretending to be a mild sport flyer, but push the throttle stick all the way and it will rocket to over 100MPH. The control authority is outstanding, point rolls are amazing and the plane responds exactly when you tell it to. You feel so locked in that it makes it easy and fun to get down low for some high speed passes. It doesn't dart around with the elevator so you don't worry about accidentally stuffing it into the ground. All my flights were done at 100% rate and 35% expo.

You do need to pay attention to the landings, but only because the glide rate is so good. With the power off, it just keeps going and going like the energizer bunny. If you need to land in shorter distances I'd recommend removing the Y harness from the ailerons, putting them on separate channels and programming in some spoilerons. There is a plastic cover you install on the bottom of the nose to keep it protected while sliding on the ground during landings. To bring it in, just drop the power, manage the glide and set it down nice and level.

FPV Flying

Have you ever been 100+ MPH with an FPV plane? You can with the EFXtra. Launching seems like it would be difficult to do with the goggles on, so I prefer to put the goggles on the top of my head and launch like I do normally. I fly out, gain some altitude and then pull the goggles down. You could have a helper launch it for you if someone is available.

Flying it via FPV feels great. When it is windy out, you'll notice some slight waggle and buffeting, but it's not too bad. The wind in my FPV video below was 10-15MPH for reference. With the throttle full, get ready to hold on tight, this thing covers some serious ground in a hurry. Rolls and aerobatics were great fun and with some practice you can do some precision flying and bring it down on the deck. It's a whole new experience and one that gets your blood pumping every bit as much as line of sight flying and maybe more so. You can stay in a pretty small field actually if you need to, but I'd suggest you have plenty of room for your first few flights. Getting it back down on the ground is easy to do via FPV, just pull the power back like normal and fly it to your landing zone. I highly recommend you give FPV a try with this plane as it is so easy to switch between it and line of sight and you will have all kinds of fun with it.

Photos

Video

Overview and Line of Sight Flight Video

FPV Flight Video

Conclusion

The EFXtra is pure adrenalin pumping fun. You can fly it normally or FPV and either way it is one mean machine that will impress your buddies and put a huge smile on your face. It's one of the most locked in feeling aircraft I've had my hands on and the improvements they made over the original EFX racers is much appreciated. The larger battery bay, the aluminum spinner, the larger motor and clipped wing as well as the FPV pod all add up to a solid win. When's the last time you jumped up and down with joy after a flight? Well, that's what a happened to me after flying the EFXtra. Durafly knocked it out of the park with this one. I know this sounds like I'm hyping it up, but man it is that good. If you want a fun fast sport plane, you can't go wrong with the Durafly EFXtra.

Check out the Durafly EFXtra webpage here.

Feb 08, 2017, 08:36 PM
Registered RC NUT!
Looks like a winner, wanting to order it soon!
Feb 08, 2017, 08:36 PM
Registered RC NUT!
Looks like a winner!
Feb 08, 2017, 08:39 PM
Registered RC NUT!
winner
Feb 08, 2017, 09:00 PM
I ordered nine.. Three of each color...
Feb 08, 2017, 09:19 PM
Permanently Banned
Jeez!
My dad bought me 30 -10 of each...
Feb 08, 2017, 09:42 PM
Are the landing gear included?
Feb 08, 2017, 09:50 PM
You are joking, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrecking Ball View Post
Are the landing gear included?
Feb 08, 2017, 10:13 PM
Registered RC NUT!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan D View Post
You are joking, right?
Are you?
Feb 08, 2017, 10:35 PM
Permanently Banned
There is NO lg. See all pics. FPV/speed= no lg.
Feb 08, 2017, 11:01 PM
Capitalist
The LG is included.... It's called the Fuselage
Feb 09, 2017, 02:38 AM
Any chance the new wing will fit the old fuselage?
Feb 09, 2017, 02:38 AM
Blue skies!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan D View Post
I ordered nine.. Three of each color...
Really?! Why so many?
Feb 09, 2017, 02:54 AM
Durafly EFXTRA - Flight Video (8 min 50 sec)

Durafly EFXTRA - FPV Flight Review Video (7 min 21 sec)

Durafly EFXtra First Flight (9 min 1 sec)

Durafly EFXTRA LOS Maiden Flight by HobbyKing (5 min 26 sec)
Feb 09, 2017, 02:58 AM
Former Durafly Brand Manager
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrre View Post
Any chance the new wing will fit the old fuselage?
Yes indeed.

S.