Adding a Gyro to the J-Power Duke - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by peterswolf, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jan 30, 2017, 11:39 AM
Cool

Adding a Gyro to the J-Power Duke

Well I've been so busy with other planes lately, I've ignored my Duke... I love flying this one, but after all the work I put into it to try and resolve the dutch roll that increases with the breeze I just sort of gave up unless with was a windless day. Well, I know I said before I was done trying to fix it, but with the low cost Eagle A3L Gyro I thought what the heck... So I grabbed one from MotionRC.com a few days ago. Got it installed yesterday and setup for 2D mode with the gains around 10 o'clock on the dial. Today it was gusty at the field, low winds were about 6mph and gusting close to 10mph, with the occasional higher gust. I went up with the gyro turned off, and perfect takeoff, got to cruising altitude and saw a little bit of wag'n'roll. hehe. So I flipped on the gyro, and BAM, no more wag, no more roll. A few of you told me before just throw a gyro in there and it'll probably be fine, and you were right of course. I just didn't have the experience with gyros back then as I do now, so previously I was a little nervous about the idea.. I did a full throttle run into the wind, no wag whatsoever. I was getting the occasional bounce on the wind due to gust, but no more wagging or rolling. Quite happy about this, VERY HAPPY, SUPER HAPPY! This is the kind of wind that I normally like to fly in and now the Duke does perfect in it, and of course the other advantage of the gyro is that it makes the plane even more rock solid for regular flight. I was able to go hands off on the controls and it looked sweet doing a low pass over the runway. Landings were as perfect as they were before, great day... Only thing that sucks is our awesome club photographer showed up just as I was leaving so I didn't get any flying pictures. I did snap a quick picture of the gyro setup for those that are curious.
to remove ads between posts