Thread Tools
Feb 02, 2017, 01:57 PM
Registered User
The airframe will be the cheapest part of a completed project and that amount will vary with what kind of filament you use and whether or not you bought it on sale. I would guestimate the filament cost should range from $15 for cheap stuff on sale to $50 for full retail specialty filaments.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Feb 02, 2017, 04:36 PM
HobbyView/RCRoundtable
Fitz Walker's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb

Had a few issues and wondering if you all have seen any of these conditions, as well as any recommendations?

Ken
Looks to be an under-extrusion or shell thickness problem issue
I also see some stringing, so you should also tweak your retraction and/or temp setting.

Here is a great explanation of common issues and fixes: https://www.simplify3d.com/support/p...the-top-layers
Feb 02, 2017, 05:07 PM
Ken's CAD Models
dz1sfb's Avatar
Fitz,
Thanks for the advice. This 3D printing is new to me, though I've a good amount of cnc experience.

Ken
Feb 03, 2017, 09:41 AM
3DLabPrint
We are working on a small update for our Stearman. Will be available early next week. Thank you for your hints.
Patrik, 3DLabPrint sales team
Feb 03, 2017, 09:48 AM
3DLabPrint
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy
The Case ID is 48mm which is fine. But the forward most 15mm, tapers too much and interferes with motor leads. That taper needs taken out and the 48mm ID maintained out to the forward wall then just rounded over to maximize the interior engine case volume.

I wonder if the 3Dlabprint guys monitor this thread.
yep, it will be fixed in update. Works well at our prototypes but more space will be fine.
Feb 04, 2017, 04:30 PM
MorganTech
There are a couple changes that I've made that I think help improve some of the complex printing issues on the radial. I have added full support, under the Support Menu I changed the "Horizontal Offset From Part" from 0.2mm to 1.0mm. This allows the support to easily pull out with a pair of needle nose pliers. I did this for both the cylinders and the motor mount. I also modded the motor mount to accept a Suppo 2820-1000KV out-runner (see photo comparison).
Feb 05, 2017, 08:47 PM
Ken's CAD Models
dz1sfb's Avatar
Ailerons printed and the wings are following.

Ken
Feb 06, 2017, 10:33 AM
Registered User
northernmonkey's Avatar
Thread OP
I've got the wings all printed, although I'm a little hesitant to continue any further before seeing what the update contains.
Feb 06, 2017, 12:12 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by northernmonkey
I've got the wings all printed, although I'm a little hesitant to continue any further before seeing what the update contains.
Yeah, I'm also waiting for that. Did you get part #4 from the lower wing left and right printed properly? That one was very strange, as the first layer is just a little knob und thus the second layer is hanging in the air (printing the factory files for S3D). Also the wing tips are open in the area of the ailerons, and the aileron parts don't have top layers, although the prints in the video have. I also got error messages from S3D on prints with wing tips due to overlapping processes, but at least I didn't find the negative consequences of that
Feb 06, 2017, 12:20 PM
Registered User
northernmonkey's Avatar
Thread OP
Regarding part #4 I adjusted the z-offset by .3mm to drop the rest of that part onto the bed. Also wondered about the open parts. The overlapping processes I've seen before, on the nose of the P38, it seems to be the way they do certain parts which need to be that bit stronger.
Feb 06, 2017, 12:30 PM
Registered User
Just got the mail, the update is available.
Feb 06, 2017, 01:58 PM
Registered User
northernmonkey's Avatar
Thread OP
Yeah, got the updated files so I'll crack on and get it all printed out. Still need to get the P38 off the bench and into the air before assembling it, though.
Feb 06, 2017, 02:53 PM
MorganTech

80+ hours of printing


Well...I made it through printing all of the files from the first release. For me, there were only a couple minor problems with support issues and some of the first layers of the wings. These were printed with 3DXtech PLA at 205/55 bed temp. I used S3D, throughout all of the files the temp and support were the only setting I changed. As mentioned in an earlier post, when using support I changed the "Horizontal Offset From Part" from 0.2mm to 1.0mm to help with the removal of the support.

I made some mods to the STL files-
  • Enlarged the motor mount to work with my out-runner.
  • Removed the vertical fin on the fuse and counter balance of the rudder, printed them separate to allow the yellow colors to match the wings and stabs.
  • Changed the support settings on the engine allowing full support for a better print. The most time consuming part was the detail on the radial, I found some circuit board standoffs for the plugs and used some silicone wire for the plug wires.
  • The rubber tires were printed with TPU, the first one felt a bit stiff so I cut down on the outer layers and reprinted the pair.

I printed the rudder in white PLA , painted a vertical black stripe and added red vinyl to finish it off.

-Mike
Feb 06, 2017, 03:34 PM
Registered User
Congrats, that looks great. I have been thinking of doing the same thing with the tail. Not sure why they paired the rudder and elevator into one file when they are supposed to be different colors.
Feb 06, 2017, 08:47 PM
Ken's CAD Models
dz1sfb's Avatar
Very nice work Mike! I've been reconsidering printing in all yellow for the Navy version.

Ken


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools