3D Lab Print - 3D Printed Boeing Stearman - RC Groups
Jan 30, 2017, 08:51 AM
Discussion

3D Lab Print - 3D Printed Boeing Stearman

I recently completed, although haven't yet flown, the P-38 and I enjoyed the whole thing so much that I was itching to start on another one. When Stepan released this one the other day it looked perfect.

https://3dlabprint.com/shop/stearman-pt-17-kaydet/

It's early days yet and this will probably be quite a lengthy build since I did the P-38 when I had some time off over Christmas.

So far all I have done is order a couple of rolls of filament for my golden-era inspired scheme of white wings and green fuselage and done a test print of one of the cylinders that will make up the dummy radial. Need to do some work on the settings there I think but it'll be usable with a little bit of work.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 30, 2017, 12:27 PM
I just pulled the trigger on the Stearman files. This should be a fun project.
Jan 30, 2017, 09:57 PM
The Junk Man
Are there any videos of the Stearman in flight? All I have seen are stills, which do not show speed of course.

Tom
Jan 31, 2017, 05:47 AM
It's going to be fairly quick I think. Take off weight with a 3000mah 3S is 2.4KG compared to 1.7KG for the closest-sized foamie I could find which is this one from Hobby King:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykin...200mm-pnf.html

It should be interesting anyway.
Jan 31, 2017, 11:01 AM
I've got my first print started, the engine mount. I have an i3 clone, unpacked the gcode folder, transferred the engine files to a SD card, leveled the bed and told it to print. The default file wanted to print at 230 nozzle and 50 bed. I bumped the bed up to 70 since that's where my printer seems to like it. It's about an hour into the print and everything looks good so far. I am amazed, didn't even look at the files in a slicer.

I'll probably order more filament for the body and wing colors. Do you think a .5kg spool will be enough to print the body or wings?
Jan 31, 2017, 11:48 AM
Not sure if .5KG would really, the whole thing is 1.4KG I think. But there's usually a breakdown of each part's weight on the PDF file that comes with the files.

I started with the engine mount and dummy radial too, although I usually do a few tweaks to the factory files as I tend to turn the printing and movement speed down a bit for best results with my printer.
Jan 31, 2017, 01:34 PM
That's what I was thinking too. I went ahead and ordered the 1 kg rolls. That should give me plenty of reserve for waste. I'm going with transparent blue and transparent yellow and I'll add some internal LED strips to kick up the WOW factor.

Do you guys know where to find files to print the tires? I've got some flexible black filament that I can use.

I got several metallic spools on the last HK sale. I'm using copper for the engine mount, aluminum for the cylinders and brass for the exhaust ring.

I'm excited about this project.
Jan 31, 2017, 01:50 PM
The tyres are included with the rest of the files. My engine is all done, just used silver and dark grey but I'll get busy with the brushes and acrylic paint to make it look a bit better. It's quite the heavy lump that dummy engine, though.

Now doing a torture test of my new bed adhesion technique by attempting the widest bit of wing using no brim, fingers crossed.
Jan 31, 2017, 02:14 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Just bought these files also. Looking forward to start printing after running a sample file from the P-38 wing. It is a very impressive volume of CAD work and well worth the price. Now waiting for some more PLA.

Thanks for starting this thread,
Ken

Latest blog entry: Ken's CAD Models new web site
Jan 31, 2017, 02:23 PM
Is that engine head file just one cylinder or all 7? The engine body is taking over 4 hours to print and looking at the file size of the head that's 50% larger.
Jan 31, 2017, 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by northernmonkey
The tyres are included with the rest of the files.
Found it, they are in the landing gear folder called Ste_tail_wheel and Ste_tyre.

Thanks, the guide kinda led me astray on that.
Jan 31, 2017, 05:36 PM
And the end of one of the wing parts has begun lifting from the bed slightly about three hours in. Hopefully it won't be so bad as to make the parts unusable but it really is irritating. Seems to be the trickiest part of these prints. Anyway I'll try with a brim on the next bits and see if that fixes things.
Jan 31, 2017, 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by northernmonkey
And the end of one of the wing parts has begun lifting from the bed slightly about three hours in. Hopefully it won't be so bad as to make the parts unusable but it really is irritating. Seems to be the trickiest part of these prints. Anyway I'll try with a brim on the next bits and see if that fixes things.
I had that problem using a glass plate and thermal tape between the glass plate and aluminum plate. I solved it by adding a lot more thermal tape, covering ~ 90% of the glass. My edge curling was due to uneven heating/cooling across the glass plate.
Feb 01, 2017, 05:09 AM
I've ordered one of those infrared thermometers to get a clearer idea of what's actually happening and I can check the bed temperatures as well. All good fun, though.
Feb 01, 2017, 08:12 AM
Ken's CAD Models
Have either of you tried printing directly on the heated bed? My Anet A8 came with masking tape on the bed and it has worked pretty good initially. When I printed the section of P-38 wing, the trailing edge did pull just a bit off the tape. I noticed on 3Dlabprint that they recommend a strong hairspray to assist with adhesion.

I did print my windscreens last night, and after the second try they came out decent. The first shot at it I bumped the extrusion speed up to 102%, but it was too much and the print failed.

Then I tried printing the springs for the landing gear. No joy on 2 tries. The first try came loose from the bed. The second try got a bit farther as I added a brim to the file but as it got taller, things got worse.

Lots of learning going on,
Ken
Latest blog entry: Ken's CAD Models new web site