OpenTx 2.2 - Page 145 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Nov 10, 2017, 07:15 PM
AKA 8178 - MIke Dailey
Jet_Flyer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by changosurf
Is there a way to put RAS on the main screens (where the switches & controls can be seen) and pin it there? If not, can this be put in as a request (on github or here)?
You can with a Lua file on the X12S.

Mike
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Nov 10, 2017, 09:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet_Flyer
You can with a Lua file on the X12S.

Mike
how about on the taranis?
Nov 10, 2017, 10:03 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
pmackenzie's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by changosurf
Is there a way to put RAS on the main screens (where the switches & controls can be seen) and pin it there? If not, can this be put in as a request (on github or here)?
Anything can be put in as a request (on github), but no guarantee they will decide to implement it

At the risk of sounding stupid, what is RAS?

Not sure you can "pin" anything to the screen in Taranis, but a better option might be to set it up to announce the value by pulling a switch. You don't have to take your eyes off the model to know the value.

You can always set up telemetry screens to display things, not sure why you would need that and the regular screens at the same time.

Pat MacKenzie
Nov 10, 2017, 10:07 PM
AKA 8178 - MIke Dailey
Jet_Flyer's Avatar
The script needs some work to run correctly on the Taranis. It was discussed earlier in this thread. RAS = Relative Antenna Status.

Mike
Nov 10, 2017, 11:02 PM
Registered User
The OpenTX devs specifically re-named it from SWR and moved to to a more obscure location because it's not a very useful thing to monitor. I think it's highly unlikely they'll do much to make it appear on the home screen.
Nov 11, 2017, 04:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noircogi
The OpenTX devs specifically re-named it from SWR and moved to to a more obscure location because it's not a very useful thing to monitor. I think it's highly unlikely they'll do much to make it appear on the home screen.
IMO, it *can* be somewhat useful in making sure that you aren't experiencing any major antenna issues (especially if you've got a removable one). It seems like a relatively minor thing to add to the home screen & that wouldn't take up a lot of space. Maybe a simple 'antenna health' icon would be better, but that would be asking for a whole lot more. I'd be happy with a tiny numeric read-out somewhere along the edge of the screen just to let me know that I haven't inadvertently done something that causes a bunch of reflection & bumps the number into the 40-50 range (just below the critical 'antenna warning' level). Also might be a good way to judge if the antenna/SMA connector are starting to degrade after a ton of mating cycles... Just my $0.02...
Nov 11, 2017, 05:09 AM
Registered User
mpjf01's Avatar
I agree entirely. These points, and more, have been made before. They have been countered by the critics of FRSKY's measure (FRSKY it calls SWR) who claim that it is useless because it's not really SWR and has attracted a lot of ongoing criticism because of that - which is considered justified. Although well hidden, a least it's still there (as RAS) so we should be grateful that it was not removed entirely.
Nov 11, 2017, 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpjf01
I agree entirely. These points, and more, have been made before. They have been countered by the critics of FRSKY's measure (FRSKY it calls SWR) who claim that it is useless because it's not really SWR and has attracted a lot of ongoing criticism because of that - which is considered justified. Although well hidden, a least it's still there (as RAS) so we should be grateful that it was not removed entirely.
I see...

yeah, I don't really see it as true 'SWR' or as any kind of measure of 'antenna performance. However, whatever method is used internally to generate it, it *does* seem to reflect some kind of metric that relates to the state of the antenna connection & with a fair amount of resolution. Otherwise, it wouldn't change as predictably and distinctly as it does (ex., manipulating the antenna in a certain way, such as touching it or reorienting it, causes a predictable shift/increase in the value and with a very finite resolution).

Obviously, FrSky is able to use it as a threshold value in order to determine if the antenna is in a critical state, and thus set off an 'antenna warning' alert if the value is too high. So, regardless of the weird scaling or internal methodology that's being used to generate it, it definitely is "useful", even if it doesn't reflect any kind of standard, real-world measurement that exists in the RF world.

Anyway, all I care about is knowing that I'm not somehow slowly frying my backboard by running a bad antenna/SMA connection that will eventually burn things out. If having the RAS value always visible on my homescreens aids in providing me this info, I don't see why this would be a bad thing... just my opinion...
Nov 11, 2017, 08:28 AM
OpenTX University Staff
maguro's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by changosurf
IMO, it *can* be somewhat useful in making sure that you aren't experiencing any major antenna issues (especially if you've got a removable one). It seems like a relatively minor thing to add to the home screen & that wouldn't take up a lot of space. Maybe a simple 'antenna health' icon would be better, but that would be asking for a whole lot more. I'd be happy with a tiny numeric read-out somewhere along the edge of the screen just to let me know that I haven't inadvertently done something that causes a bunch of reflection & bumps the number into the 40-50 range (just below the critical 'antenna warning' level). Also might be a good way to judge if the antenna/SMA connector are starting to degrade after a ton of mating cycles... Just my $0.02...
If you are so dedicated to this concept, you should post your request to github. Given that the developers are trying to discourage the use of RAS, you might have a bit of convincing to do. Of course, since you think your idea should be relatively easy to implement, you can always offer to join the developers and code it yourself. The developers can always use the help.
Nov 11, 2017, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maguro
If you are so dedicated to this concept, you should post your request to github. Given that the developers are trying to discourage the use of RAS, you might have a bit of convincing to do. Of course, since you think your idea should be relatively easy to implement, you can always offer to join the developers and code it yourself. The developers can always use the help.
thanks for the invitation, and please don't take my comments in a negative or critical tone.
I personally found the RAS value as being useful to me, so I figured I'd comment on it (i.e, I'm not trying to start a flame war about the concept).

I *am* comfortable with digging into code, but, honestly, my non-RC life keeps me way too busy to even consider contributing in any meaningful way. It would probably take me a long time to get up to speed on the existing code base, not to mention trying to help in adding new features.

Anyway, I simply wanted to know if there was an easy way to place the RAS value in a more visible & accessible location on the taranis. I didn't realize that it was such a controversial topic around here... My apologies...
Nov 11, 2017, 09:05 AM
OpenTX University Staff
maguro's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by changosurf
thanks for the invitation, and please don't take my comments in a negative or critical tone.
I personally found the RAS value as being useful to me, so I figured I'd comment on it (i.e, I'm not trying to start a flame war about the concept).

I *am* comfortable with digging into code, but, honestly, my non-RC life keeps me way too busy to even consider contributing in any meaningful way. It would probably take me a long time to get up to speed on the existing code base, not to mention trying to help in adding new features.

Anyway, I simply wanted to know if there was an easy way to place the RAS value in a more visible & accessible location on the taranis. I didn't realize that it was such a controversial topic around here... My apologies...
The topic was being debated before OpenTX 2.0. I understand why you might want the info, but for the life of me, I can't fathom why you would change antennas frequently. Those antenna connectors are designed for a limited number of cycles. Wouldn't a separate XJT module with a different antenna be a better idea? Any way, if you see a need for the info, you should pose your request to the developers.
Nov 11, 2017, 09:22 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
pmackenzie's Avatar
The idea in general has merit: being able to place some sort of text/value on the main screens, perhaps via a special function.
Not a lot of real estate for it, but perhaps on top of the FrSky and Opentx logo?
Nov 11, 2017, 09:27 AM
Happy FPV flyer
Kilrah's Avatar
At this point pretty much every pixel is reserved for something on the home screen. That zone is for flight mode name.
Nov 11, 2017, 10:04 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
pmackenzie's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah
At this point pretty much every pixel is reserved for something on the home screen. That zone is for flight mode name.
"On top of" not "above"

I should have said where the Frsky and Open tx logos currently reside, that would have been clear.
Nov 11, 2017, 10:05 AM
AKA 8178 - MIke Dailey
Jet_Flyer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by changosurf
Anyway, all I care about is knowing that I'm not somehow slowly frying my backboard by running a bad antenna/SMA connection that will eventually burn things out. If having the RAS value always visible on my homescreens aids in providing me this info, I don't see why this would be a bad thing... just my opinion...
If you could get someone to fix the X12S RAS script to run correctly on the Taranis I think you would have what you want. The script does not put the RAS value on a screen anywhere by its self. Following the historical theme of OpenTX putting the user in control of their own data, it just makes the RAS value available as an input and then you decide what to do with it.

In the case of the X12S it can be used with widgets, logic switches, special functions, etc.

Mike


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Issue Telemetry Battery Taranis OpenTX 2.1.9/Naze32/D4R-II/Cleanflight1.2.4 prophet_id Scratchbuilt Multirotor Drones 1 Feb 22, 2017 12:31 PM
Discussion Telemetry Battery Taranis OpenTX 2.1.9 / Naze32afroRev5 / D4R-II /Cleanflight1.2.4 prophet_id Multirotor Drone Talk 1 Dec 01, 2016 08:30 PM
Discussion FrSky Taranis with OpenTX 2.0 (Take 2) TrueBuld Radios 2 Sep 22, 2016 03:18 PM
Help! Turngy 9XR Pro opentx 2.0.8 to 2.1.7 upgrade failed robinzeng Radios 0 Jan 14, 2016 07:58 AM