OpenTx 2.2.1 - Page 211 - RC Groups
Feb 12, 2018, 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC
They did not add the 'safe to eject' function for no good reason!

Just because you have been LUCKY does not mean one single thing.... it is of zero relevance and weight.
And telling people 'it does not matter' it just misleading via that ignorance.
Yes they did, picture below explains it and this is the windows 10 default setting, and BTW it's not luck it's knowledge.

Name: Capture.JPG
Views: 108
Size: 32.7 KB
Description:
to remove ads between posts
Feb 12, 2018, 08:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by myckey
Yes they did, picture below explains it and this is the windows 10 default setting, and BTW it's not luck it's knowledge.

Attachment 10726511
Not everbody in the world is using Windows 10.
Feb 12, 2018, 08:29 AM
Even with that enabled you can still corrupt files.
When a file is not closed.
Nothing to do with caching it along the way.
Feb 12, 2018, 09:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC
Even with that enabled you can still corrupt files.
When a file is not closed.
Nothing to do with caching it along the way.
Peter, save your fingers, you can't help folks understand the tech they use if they don't want to be helped.
Feb 12, 2018, 09:33 AM
OpenTX University Staff
I agree. After spending most of my adult life in the computer field, I can tell you that removing a disk device with open files is just asking for trouble. The ejection process completes any write processes, then closes all open files. You can't tell by looking at the computer if a byte is yet to be written.
Feb 12, 2018, 09:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Mike
I never bother with the "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" icon and have never had a problem with my SD card.

The statement above sounds a lot like the belief that spilling salt is bad luck but you can avert it by tossing a pinch of the salt over your left shoulder.
I've heard that statement many times before and I have done similar like you for a while, but I've seen too much happen too many times to think it never goes wrong. A modern Apple still gives you an explicit warning after just disconnecting a mass-storage device.
Sometimes ejecting doesn't take place immediately and needs a few seconds. Those moments may well be the time that a corruption would occur if the storage device wasn't dismounted properly.

I have no 100% certainty for either opinions, I therefore prefer to eject the media whenever I think about it.

Quote:
Also depends how old you are...
I've been active in IT for 40 years

Attachment 10726511

Quote:
Originally Posted by maguro
I agree. After spending most of my adult life in the computer field, I can tell you that removing a disk device with open files is just asking for trouble. The ejection process completes any write processes, then closes all open files. You can't tell by looking at the computer if a byte is yet to be written.
Here they are talking about "safely remove hardware"
I am speaking of the "eject" option that's available for every removable device in Windows.
If anything in IT, you need to take things literal and explicit.
You may take "eject" as the same thing, but you have to admit that such is an assumption.

And if it all really didn't matter... Why is that option there on each removable device?
It's not that dificult for Windows to read its own settings.
Last edited by hisroyaldudeness; Feb 12, 2018 at 09:49 AM.
Feb 12, 2018, 11:05 AM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by hisroyaldudeness
Here they are talking about "safely remove hardware"
I am speaking of the "eject" option that's available for every removable device in Windows.
They're the same thing, at least in Windows 10. When you click the "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" icon you get a list of "Eject" choices.

Considering the dizzying pace of technological progress, there's an inherent flaw in claiming authority based upon decades of experience.
Feb 12, 2018, 11:48 AM
RCdiy
"Automatic Backup Folder" and "Enable writing automatic backup before writing firmware" are model and settings backups and not firmware from the radio.
This is an example of a file created backup-2018-01-22-131847.bin
It can be opened using Companion and is contains models and settings; Does not contain the firmware which can't be "opened".

Quote:
Feb 12, 2018, 11:49 AM
Quote:
They're the same thing, at least in Windows 10. When you click the "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" icon you get a list of "Eject" choices.
That's not the eject I'm using.
Each removable drive that's displayed in "computer" will show an "eject" if you right-click on it.
Why would it have to show up if "it didn't matter"? The OS can read if write caching is enabled or not. Of course can this be an oversight and something that could be improved, but you can't know for sure.

There are many thousands of bugs in each piece of software including OS's.
Why challenge these extra? It is already doing unpredictable stuff sometimes.

Quote:

Considering the dizzying pace of technological progress, there's an inherent flaw in claiming authority based upon decades of experience.
In itself true, but I don't want to start some pissing contest..
It's typical for young people to think that experience and old age doesn't count for much.
This was true when I was young and probably has been that way for thousands of years.
As long as people are constantly calling me for help, among them IT-professionals and young, I don't need to worry I can earn a living.

I have telemetry installed on >400 devices (servers/desktops/switches/routers) in several flavours (Windows/Linux/FreeBSD) which get monitored 24/7 with tests some of which I needed to write myself.

Regarding this subject I have never claimed anywhere that I know things for sure, but the comparison to 3 times around the totem pole is not applicable here...
Last edited by hisroyaldudeness; Feb 12, 2018 at 02:05 PM.
Feb 12, 2018, 12:47 PM
RCdiy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McDonald
I see that the Trim Idle Only with crossed trims issue has been closed under the 2.2.2 github thread.
https://github.com/opentx/opentx/milestone/41?closed=1

And the original Throttle Idle Only with crossed trims issue has also been closed.
https://github.com/opentx/opentx/issues/170

So does this mean the problem has been successfully solved and will be included in the 2.2.2 release?
This has been fixed
https://github.com/opentx/opentx/pull/5664 Is merged and closed whuch means the fix/changes were applied and are now in the nightly builds and will be in the next release. Download the Companion nightly and test Don't install the nightly firmware as it it not for flying with.
Feb 12, 2018, 01:31 PM
Quote:
I never bother with the "Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media" icon and have never had a problem with my SD card.

The statement above sounds a lot like the belief that spilling salt is bad luck but you can avert it by tossing a pinch of the salt over your left shoulder.
Quote:
Me nether, never had any problem, don't do it with portable hard drives or USB sticks either and none have ever protested.
I talk on the cellphone when driving all the time and have never gotten a ticket. I text, read and post on Facebook, tweet and even play Bejeweled. Clearly there is no danger of getting a ticket while using my cellphone while driving. That is fallacious reasoning.

Safely removing hardware is a "Best Practice".

In my experience as an instructor of digital photography - I saw around 30 Sd cards inserted and removed from computers per hour six hours a day for over a decade -- I can tell you for certain that most of the time you WILL get away with not using the "Best Practice". As I've seen literally thousands of SD cards used by different students - I became very aware of those who used the best practices I taught and those who didn't. Those who don't OCCASIONALLY get bit by a corrupted card - lost assignment - etc. I can never recall a student corrupting an SD card that used the best practices.
Feb 12, 2018, 02:09 PM
Skill Collector
Duty Calls from xkcd
Feb 12, 2018, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyboy7
Duty Calls from xkcd
Yes, that one is funny ;-)
I sometimes think of that one when doing that...
Just want to be of help giving, what I think is, good advice ;-)
Feb 12, 2018, 04:59 PM
most exalted one
Those that are "listening" are now convinced. Those that are not will never be. I am one who does not follow best practices but I know I am going to be bitten and have been bitten in the past. I take responsibility and fix it. Others would be wise to follow the cautious approach.
Feb 12, 2018, 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4*60
Those that are "listening" are now convinced. Those that are not will never be. I am one who does not follow best practices but I know I am going to be bitten and have been bitten in the past. I take responsibility and fix it. Others would be wise to follow the cautious approach.
Why take the chance ?? It only takes a moment to do it “properly “ .....

Quick Reply